Past #11: Michael Firrito - did #11 proud - 2017 assistant coach at Strathmore FC w/ HMac & Narni

Remove this Banner Ad

#11 Michael Firrito

FIRRITO%20Michael.png

Games: 23
Goals: 0

After a resurgent 2014 season, Michael Firrito entered his 13th year firmly entrenched in the North Melbourne backline. A solid NAB Challenge campaign had the veteran primed for the start of the season, but was one of a number of players that struggled in Round 1 against Adelaide. He responded in the following weeks, playing a number of different roles in the backline, be it as a loose man or on a opposition tall forward.

Firrito was crucial in the club’s Round 10 win over West Coast, keeping Josh Hill to no scoreboard impact, before spending time on Sydney superstar Lance Franklin the following week, highlighting his versatility. In Round 15, he was one of North’s best, amassing a season-high 19 disposals and taking seven marks against Geelong, cutting off several opposition attacks.

A fortnight later against Brisbane, Firrito was again resolute in defence, taking Brent Staker out of the game and finishing with 16 possessions and seven grabs. The following week, Firrito was suspended for striking Matthew Kreuzer, but returned in Round 20 against St Kilda. He was steady without being outstanding to finish the season, with Round 22 against the Western Bulldogs a highlight as ‘Spud’ chalked up his 250th game, becoming just the 10th player in North Melbourne history to do so. A week later, he was rested in the lead-up to North’s September campaign.

Playing in his 10th final, Firrito was a sure hand in defence, winning some vital one-on-one contests against the Richmond forwards. A week later, he was again prominent against the Swans, ending with 15 touches and laying four tackles, before putting in a strong, gutsy display in the Preliminary Final against West Coast.

Firrito’s worth and popularity around the club was rewarded at the Syd Barker Medal, with the veteran named the best clubman. At the age of 32, Firrito was awarded with a one-year contract extension. After his career looked finished just two seasons ago, Firrito has fought on valiantly, and will leave a gaping hole in the backline when he eventually does hang the boots up.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-02-23/ready-for-the-pressure

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-02-24/finding-cover

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-03-31/back-for-more

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-07-01/taking-the-game-on

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-08-28/super-spud

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-10-15/firrito-goes-again

361452-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

364564-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

366142-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

378670-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

385665-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

391104-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

395818-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

403182-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

405739-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Great write up.

Can we assume he waxes everything above the elbow?

spud has been caught up in business break up between Jason Sourasis and Liam Pickering

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...s/news-story/45075f9fec440fa3a7868ea32b020676

ORTH Melbourne footballer Michael Firrito was handed a luxury car and wads of cash as part of a drip-fed loan repayment from financial adviser and friend Jason Sourasis, a court has heard.

The Roos defender told a Supreme Court hearing he had transferred $100,000 to Strategic Management Australia AFL in October 2011 following an agreement with Mr Sourasis.

Firrito said that Mr Sourasis loaned him his Audi A4 after Firrito’s Kia sponsorship expired and Mr Sourasis later offered it to him for $35,000 as part payment for the loan, with Firrito later receiving $15,000 cash in two further payments.

The court heard company records showing further repayments of $25,000 and $15,000 hadn’t gone into Firrito’s account.

“He told me payments had come out of the company but he was holding it there for me, and I was happy with that,” Firrito said.

When asked by Mr Pickering’s lawyer Damien McAloon, “It went into his personal bank account, did you know that?” Firrito replied, “I knew it had come out of the business.”

Mr Sourasis, who set up Strategic Management with high-profile player agent Liam Pickering, has taken his former business partner to court after Mr Pickering last year took most of the agency’s players to his new firm, Precision Sports and Entertainment Group.

Taking the witness stand, Firrito said he agreed with Mr Sourasis to invest $200,000 for a 20 per cent stake in the business.

Under cross-examination Mr McAloon questioned whether Firrito was aware that Mr Sourasis had put $50,000 of his money into a Brunswick restaurant he was involved in.

Firrito replied: “No, I didn’t know that.”

Firrito said he was aware that Mr Pickering and Mr Sourasis disagreed on how the business was being run.

“It made me a bit uncomfortable in that I’m not sure how a business could work if they couldn’t see eye-to-eye,” he said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing how many "best 22s" don't include Spud.

I must be watching it differently, because if he holds 2015 form he is clearly best 22.

Great servant of the club, and brings important strength and rebound to an otherwise pretty average defense :thumbsu:
I agree that he is best 22, however, given his age and where our list is at, he could lose his spot after just 1 or 2 bad games.

I agree that he is best 22, however, given his age and where our list is at, he could lose his spot after just 1 or 2 bad games.

I doubt it. He finished the year strongly and was very important in the finals. Sure his spot isn't guaranteed (no ones should be considering state of our list) but unless with a significant dip in form he plays.

I doubt it. He finished the year strongly and was very important in the finals. Sure his spot isn't guaranteed (no ones should be considering state of our list) but unless with a significant dip in form he plays.
This is the season where we must really ensure the smooth transition from old to new, with most of Spud, Petrie, Boomer, Waite and NDS coming to the end of their careers. This means success is still number one goal, but we can't ignore the transition aspect any longer.

This means that veterans should not be carried as much as they may have been in previous years. Especially if they play in a position that we have plenty of cover for.

I love Spud, but I hope he's not best 22 by the second half of the season. We need our younger players performing at a higher level, so I hope Mullett, LMac or a debutant takes Spud's spot and makes it their own.

Yeah.....kick out a clear best 22 player as part of the succession plan and potentially ruin our prospects of winning a flag in 2016?

LMac and Mullett (let alone debutants) are so far off providing what Spud does it's a strange comparison.

There are spots up for grabs for the players you speak of, but i'd be very surprised Spud's is one of them if holds his form LTK.

Last edited:
This is the season where we must really ensure the smooth transition from old to new, with most of Spud, Petrie, Boomer, Waite and NDS coming to the end of their careers. This means success is still number one goal, but we can't ignore the transition aspect any longer.

This means that veterans should not be carried as much as they may have been in previous years. Especially if they play in a position that we have plenty of cover for.

We aren't "carrying" Spud though? That suggests below required output. He earns his spot and has delivered IMO, just like Boomer continues to.

I see no problem with playing better players regardless of age considering we want to win a flag, we've already done the whole "gifting games" thing to get squad ready for bigger things and for now we pick our best 22.

Forget youth dictating selections entirely IMO (but all the same continue to develop them as best as possible), and use to fill gaps as they arise in the 1s due to injury, rest or suspension. If they are stand out dominating VFL consistently i'm sure they will get games.

Last edited:
Yeah.....kick out a clear best 22 player as part of the succession plan and potentially ruin our prospects of winning a flag in 2016?

LMac and Mullett (let alone debutants) are so far off providing what Spud does it's a strange comparison. So under-appreciated, yet look at Hansen (who is near useless unless a spare back) and people rave about him and "so important" to our chances? Please.

There are spots up for grabs for the players you speak of, but i'd be very surprised Spud's is one of them if holds his form LTK.

You missed the point - what I hope is that they are playing better than Spud has been playing (high standard, no argument there). Some of the younger players have higher ceilings and if one of them reaches it, this improves our team.

We aren't "carrying" Spud though? That suggests below required output. He earns his spot and has delivered IMO, just like Boomer continues to.

I see no problem with playing better players regardless of age considering we want to win a flag, we've already done the whole "gifting games" thing to get squad ready for bigger things and for now we pick our best 22.

Forget youth dictating selections entirely IMO (but all the same continue to develop them as best as possible), and use to fill gaps as they arise in the 1s due to injury, rest or suspension. If they are stand out dominating VFL consistently i'm sure they will get games.
I did say at the start of the discussion that he is currently best 22.
I am however saying, that if his form was to drop off, he wouldn't be given as many chances as he may have got previously.

I did say at the start of the discussion that he is currently best 22.
I am however saying, that if his form was to drop off, he wouldn't be given as many chances as he may have got previously.

Yes if he drops off I agree with you. If its a 50/50 proposition we go with the younger player for sure.

All I meant was he finished the season strongly, was very important at times, and we needs his bulk and rebound down back as it's shaky IMO. So for mine he plays if stays in form EH. (if not well of course that's a different discussion but some want him dropped already.....bizarre IMO)

Yes if he drops off I agree with you. If its a 50/50 proposition we go with the younger player for sure.

All I meant was he finished the season strongly, was very important at times, and we needs his bulk and rebound down back as it's shaky IMO. So for mine he plays if stays in form EH. (if not well of course that's a different discussion but some want him dropped already.....bizarre IMO)
I agree with you. But I sort of see where people are coming from, as we must start to implement transition while trying to win at all times, which is not as easy balance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back