Past #11: Michael Firrito - did #11 proud - 2017 assistant coach at Strathmore FC w/ HMac & Narni

Remove this Banner Ad

Slow deck to bring everyone back to his speed and finishes with 10 disposals.

If you didn't see it watch where it gets over the back in 1st quarter and frikken Jenkins gives him 15m & runs passed him.

Hansen should be getting a game before him minimum.

Just holding onto blokes went out 10 years ago !!!!

Spud plays this week due to the WC forwards. But he's just going. Hasn't been the same since he was rested, and age is not on his side.
I've heard this theory a lot, that he's been average ever since being rested, and you can't dispute this, but being rested can't have been the reason for his form. I think it's more about father time catching up with him quickly.

Spud plays this week due to the WC forwards. But he's just going. Hasn't been the same since he was rested, and age is not on his side.
That's what I was thinking. He was in great form prior to be rested. Has dropped off since big time. Coincides with the teams form though I think.

Rebound 50s
65: Michael Firrito
60: Robbie Tarrant
40: Jamie Macmillan

Only four players in the entire AFL have had more rebound 50s than the North veteran. In his 14th season, Firrito has been involved in much of his side’s defensive efforts – highlighted by his 12 rebound 50s against Melbourne in Round 3.

Rebound 50s
65: Michael Firrito
60: Robbie Tarrant
40: Jamie Macmillan

Only four players in the entire AFL have had more rebound 50s than the North veteran. In his 14th season, Firrito has been involved in much of his side’s defensive efforts – highlighted by his 12 rebound 50s against Melbourne in Round 3.

Yet the bloke is a mysterious scapegoat and posterboy of the old brigade. Has been probably the 2nd best veteran behind boomer for total output over the season thus far.

Spud has dropped off a bit since being rested, but he is a valuable member of our squad.

He flies the flag like no other (sorry Brad) and provides rebound and grunt. Usually when he gets beaten it's due to an unsuitable match-up rather than his lack of ability to perform.

Unlike Drew (unless on minimum pay/games for depth), i'd be happy if Spud goes around next year :thumbsu:

Yet the bloke is a mysterious scapegoat and posterboy of the old brigade. Has been probably the 2nd best veteran behind boomer for total output over the season thus far.
Yep, well said. Gets another year in my opinion. Can go when hibberd or EVW are ready.

Spud has dropped off a bit since being rested, but he is a valuable member of our squad.

He flies the flag like no other (sorry Brad) and provides rebound and grunt. Usually when he gets beaten it's due to an unsuitable match-up rather than his lack of ability to perform.

Unlike Drew (unless on minimum pay/games for depth), i'd be happy if Spud goes around next year :thumbsu:

Underrated mark too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those suggesting he retire are looking at the birth certificate, not the form. By and large, he's been one of our more consistent performers and given the dearth of big bodied defenders on our list, stays while his form warrants it. And it so very clearly does.

Cool, calm and collected. Isn't that what you want in a defender?
Has the big, mature body to make tackles stick and to break out of them.
Pace has never been a factor and it isn't now. (If anything he seems quicker to me.)
Doesn't seem to have the 'brain fades' he used to have. That is, he's eliminated what used to be a major weakness.
Has the versatility to play big and small and, on the right match ups, frequently blankets them.
Brings "Shinboner Spirit"; competitive, (mostly) appropriately aggressive, niggling, hates losing a contest.

Love the Spud!

p.s. Generally Cometti has got tiresome, but I did like the Flying Firrito's comment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back