Senior 11. Mitch McGovern

Remove this Banner Ad

Good re-signing, with performance based clauses inc yr 3. Credit to him & good outcome for the club.
If Wicks mail is sound that he signed on for less than Port's offer only adds to the buy in that seems to have been there and continues to build amongst the playing group.
We have not had anyone delay / test the market etc. All have signed on with what sounds externally as sensible coin relative to the market. (Harry 7 yr deal pushing the friendship maybe)
Onwards and upwards, cap seems to be being well managed.
Just need to Extend Martin now, say 750 for 6 years...

Thoroughly deserved. The way he was treated in his years up forward was disgusting. The club played him injured/underdone which made him a whipping boy.

Nah mate. He came in unfit and unprofessional, the players nicknamed him brackets for fks sake

You want to be an elite sportsman you need elite preparation, he’s cottoned on and good for him and us

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Stays on the park, there's no questioning what he's capable. One of the only players we have capable of a Charlie like 60m magic torpedo to advantage, but from the backline.

Mitch McGovern is on about $800,000 on this contract? That is a decent saving and it should help the club maybe target an upcoming FA.

Don't get your hopes up. I think it's more likely that we based previous re-signings (Curnow, McKay, TDK etc.) on the expectation that Mitch would either take a pay cut or move on. A "reduction" from his existing contract only equals more money for potential free agents if we'd already "budgeted" for an extension on the same money, which seems highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Mitch McGovern is on about $800,000 on this contract? That is a decent saving and it should help the club maybe target an upcoming FA.

McGov has started but I’m still extremely upset with his first 3 1/2 years where for the majority of it he was unfit and injured because of it. Very unprofessional. Thankfully the penny did drop but he really owes the club going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah mate. He came in unfit and unprofessional, the players nicknamed him brackets for fks sake

You want to be an elite sportsman you need elite preparation, he’s cottoned on and good for him and us

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He did and he served his punishment in "the cage" with Andrew Russell and we forgive and move on. My point was that in those years the club played him when he wasn't match-fit/ready which destroyed his output up forward.
Blues rushed McGovern in underdone, coach admits

A brilliant signing regardless of cost. (Although likely to be a bit less than last contract when we were not a destination club and had to pay overs).

Second only to Charlie for the most ability and X factor on our list.

Elite kick, great pace, strong hands with a good leap, Aggressive and strong tackler. A bit of a freak.

Still has upside, just hope we can continue to get 18 or so games a year out of him.

Reckon he will have a big impact in the finals.

Good luck Gov and I am stoked he has signed.

Someone here a while ago compared him to The Duke (Earl Spalding) and I can see the comparison really.

He actually filled the void nicely playing back up forward during Harry's absence on a few occasions when we needed him to and clubs double/triple teaming Charlie.

Real good solid 'glue' guy to have around the club imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back