Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine the melts on here if Gawn is dropped and we loose.

"Why was Gawn dropped"

Likewise if he wasn't picked when fit and we lost to WCE by 4 points...his taps in the last 2-3 minutes of the game help set up the win. Im all for a 80% fit Gawn playing at AFL level than for Casey.

Imagine the melts on here if Gawn is dropped and we loose.

"Why was Gawn dropped"

Likewise if he wasn't picked when fit and we lost to WCE by 4 points...his taps in the last 2-3 minutes of the game help set up the win. Im all for a 80% fit Gawn playing at AFL level than for Casey.

Agreed, however, he is getting well beaten around the ground atm and comes up against arguably the best mobile ruckman in the comp this week. Gawn would have to win the hitouts significantly to get close to Ryder this week, because he won't be able to go with him around the ground. I can see Ryder kicking a bag unless we change things up, as Gawn just won't be able to go with him. I'd be happy to plonk Gawn at FF for half the game, and have Hogan a mobile CHF and Pedo run with Ryder.

It's probably semantics, but I consider the ruckman a key part of the midfield group.
I agree, our midfield hasn't been at full strength since half time in Round 3.

Our team itself hasn't been full strength at any point this season, with Frost not coming in until Round 4, and Hibberd until Round 5. Given how good Hibberd (and Frost for that matter) has been, they've not been 16th-22nd players missing either ... it's really not been our season has it.

But that's the thing - Pedo has only played consistent, solid footy as a mobile ruckman, not KPF... (Not that I'm saying we should drop Gawn, but just playing Devil's advocate).
Yep, Pedo is a work horse. Needs to play most of the game in the ruck to be effective. I'd like to see him as the main ruck, Gawn as FF and Hoges at CHF. Gawn can come in and try to have short dominant periods in the ruck.

Agreed, however, he is getting well beaten around the ground atm and comes up against arguably the best mobile ruckman in the comp this week. Gawn would have to win the hitouts significantly to get close to Ryder this week, because he won't be able to go with him around the ground. I can see Ryder kicking a bag unless we change things up, as Gawn just won't be able to go with him. I'd be happy to plonk Gawn at FF for half the game, and have Hogan a mobile CHF and Pedo run with Ryder.

Yeah Gawn has been a liability this season around the ground since he has come back. Seems to be staying on the ground an awful long time

Max Gawn has a few down weeks after coming back from an injury and suddenly one year ago is 'the max gawn of old'
First half he set us right up until injured, not surprised they came back in the game during the 3rd when was off and then couldn't jump.

Geez he was good in that first half, took Ryder (Who I rate really highly) to the cleaners. As you'd expect from a gun like Ryder though once Max was hurt he snatched back control of the ruck.

His marking was back. * we can move the ball well when he is taking big contested marks down the wing and forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was apparently having scans on his ankle yesterday morning, but I can't find any info on how that went. Anybody heard anything?

Both gawn and goodwin said over the weekend it wasnt a sever injury and with good rehab should be right to play. Ankles can be a tricky injury, during the game and the blood flowing you can keep playing but once the game is over it can go downhill quickly......i just hope it isn't that high ankle sprain injury (it has a weird name and the giants have had 3-4 of these this year and generally is a 4-6 week injury)

Both gawn and goodwin said over the weekend it wasnt a sever injury and with good rehab should be right to play. Ankles can be a tricky injury, during the game and the blood flowing you can keep playing but once the game is over it can go downhill quickly......i just hope it isn't that high ankle sprain injury (it has a weird name and the giants have had 3-4 of these this year and generally is a 4-6 week injury)

Cyndismosis.. no idea how to spell it

Geez he was good in that first half, took Ryder (Who I rate really highly) to the cleaners. As you'd expect from a gun like Ryder though once Max was hurt he snatched back control of the ruck.
Completely agree.
This was the matchup that worried me most pre game as Ryder has been in AA form IMO.
Is aggressive and a really good athlete but Max slaughtered him when the game was on the line.
Having a couple of our better mids back in helps make his work look a little better also with more hitouts to advantage.

Anyone got the numbers on his marks. To me the biggest difference is he is taking * all marks around the ground used to always take a few big marks a game now fook all. Obviously not covering the ground as well as b4 his injury.

Anyone got the numbers on his marks. To me the biggest difference is he is taking **** all marks around the ground used to always take a few big marks a game now fook all. Obviously not covering the ground as well as b4 his injury.

This. I'm hoping after the season there's news to the effect that he has been carrying something/was unable to keep his conditioning up.

Last year he was a genuine threat to push forward and take a pack mark, push back and take a contested intercept and be a presence down the line. He doesn't seem to be doing any of those things since his return.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back