Autopsy 11 point loss to North

Remove this Banner Ad

The first round failures/luck of Pitt Mora and Simpson should be in this 22 and making the difference. But they aren't.
'

Simpson still could be if the match committee didn't insist on playing unfit spuds ahead of him.

All clubs have a bottom group of average players.At the minute the Eagles spuds are playing above themselves.
How long can Hutchings,Hill,Bennell etc keep up their form?

But we have guys with good skills playing WAFL.

Why can't they be role players?

True but who replaces them.Weller hasn't trained,Blakely injured,Grey has been average the last couple.Clarke concussed.Ballard a rookie.
Langdon is untried

Oh, he's untried.

Better not try him then.

I haven't read through all the pages but this was as simple a diagnosis of a game as possible.

North are front runners. You turn it over they will hurt you. I've never seen us turn it over so badly and it really wasn't from their pressure.

The one where Walters went to handball and missed Sutcliffe then saw 5 North players around the ball streaming forward. He hits that hand pass and we no doubt have players open down the field.

Harvey is the biggest front runner and killed us on the rebound. It's very frustrating watching a team like North do this to us.

The truth is our game style can negate the heavy scoring sides but if we are off... well obviously they will score and place us under pressure.

The hit up game style of the first quarter disappeared as soon as the opposition coach put in a loose back. I'm no pro coach but my golly why can't Ross man them up.

I understand most times this year we have been up by heaps and you'll allow a loose man because then it also makes it harder for them to score. I'd just liked to have seen us not allow the loose man and see if we can keep scoring and placing more scoreboard pressure.

I just find it ironical that fringe players whose skills are mediocre at best cop all the criticism for the losses because their skills aren't up to it..The turn overs in the third quarter belonged to every one in the side

I don't blame bad players for being bad.

But I do blame the selection committee who keep picking bad players despite them showing no signs of improvement for many years.

Would Hawthorn or WCE put De Boer ,Suban or Mzungu (current form no where near previous years ? ) in there team to replace any of their 2nd tier players ???
We should have blooded some players right at the start of the year. As soon as Crowley is ready , I would replace De Boer ASAP.

'

Simpson still could be if the match committee didn't insist on playing unfit spuds ahead of him.
lol, Simpson was a bum with discipline issues that couldn't even be bothered to turn up for flight. The only person to blame for him getting boned is himself..

lol, Simpson was a bum with discipline issues that couldn't even be bothered to turn up for flight. The only person to blame for him getting boned is himself..

His discipline was good enough to get picked the week before. His discipline issues must have arisen very suddenly. Probably when he realised he wouldn't be getting a proper opportunity for another 2-3 years.

His discipline was good enough to get picked the week before. His discipline issues must have arisen very suddenly. Probably when he realised he wouldn't be getting a proper opportunity for another 2-3 years.
Lol so your saying that every debut that was followed by an emergency listing the next week should get the shits and do what he did? Simpson put himself before the team, pretty simple and he continued on that path..

Lol so your saying that every debut that was followed by an emergency listing the next week should get the shits and do what he did? Simpson put himself before the team, pretty simple and he continued on that path..

I would get the shits if after playing a great game, I was dropped for a spud who was still injured.

I don't blame bad players for being bad.

But I do blame the selection committee who keep picking bad players despite them showing no signs of improvement for many years.

You can't blame the selection committee for AFL players missing 5 meter handballs and 20-30 meter kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would get the shits if after playing a great game, I was dropped for a spud who was still injured.

This Simpson line is ******* stupid. Seriously, I agree with your view on many selection issues, but pointing to a single incident as being the root cause when there was so clearly a myriad of other cultural and personal issues affecting his departure...

Not true ,he was a problem from day dot at the club .The club bent over backwards for him.I asked one of the indigenous boys how he was going at training and he just shook his head and said he just won't listen to any advice.Simpson was immature and not ready for the constraints of the AFL.

You can't blame the selection committee for AFL players missing 5 meter handballs and 20-30 meter kicks.
Mayne has been in the system long enough to have improved but he is very hot and cold ,cold mostly ,that miss form 30 meters out is unacceptable. The thing is that he does it more often then not ,even with his specially marked out run up. The guy has not improved at all and really could almost join the De Boer and Suban bandwagon. Sure he's a good tackler and putting pressure on players but all the modern players of today are now expected to do that. The problem with Mayne is that's all he can do, can you every remember him being in the best 3 or 4 players in a game, he's barely a foot soldier. I know occasionally he may kick 2 or 3 gaols but unfortunately not often enough for a forward flanker.

Frustrating as hell how we are going at the moment after such a bright start to the year. Our percentage probably tells us where we rank in the scheme of things. A couple of solid close wins during the season has meant we earned home finals.. lets hope we can capitalise on it.
Team selection is really becoming a problem imo creating structural issues on the field.

Griff - We can't afford to have 2 lumbering ruckmen, as was said earlier Griff can't get to enough arial contests. Got to persist with Clarke, he was playing OK earlier in the year and I think he was dropped during that period where we had weeks of wet games, tough for talls.
Mayne - starting to cop plenty on here but he always best as a 3rd tall. He is not big enough to hold a key post, needs Pav/Pearce or Pearce/Tabs structure with him to have an impact.
DeBoer - sub selection is straight out stupid, can't believe that stuff to be honest. Can't carry him, Mzungu, Suban, Barlow in the team now. At least Suban can kick and Barlow can mark. Not sure what's gone wrong with Mz - hope he can turn it around.
Walters - a fantastic player and a very good lead and mark... but our lack of forward size and strucutre structure means he can't use his real strengths which is crumbing. He would of cut Firrito, Tarrant, Thompson, Hansen apart yesterday if we had Tabs and Pearce to at least bring the ball to ground. Would have given Crozier the chance to do the same.
Sherro - I would be tempted to push him into the midfield and bring Clancee in.
D Pearce - I don't know, surely we can find a better ball user for this job (Sherro?)

Some of the good...
Agree that duff is gone and replaced by Sherro, both good kicks.
Anything else?

No moves made during the game to get some structure up there... MJ, McParlin, even Ibbo could have had a run up there to provide a contest.

Griff - We can't afford to have 2 lumbering ruckmen, as was said earlier Griff can't get to enough arial contests. Got to persist with Clarke, he was playing OK earlier in the year and I think he was dropped during that period where we had weeks of wet games, tough for talls.

Mayne - starting to cop plenty on here but he always best as a 3rd tall. He is not big enough to hold a key post, needs Pav/Pearce or Pearce/Tabs structure with him to have an impact.

Don't agree on your Griff point. He has more goals than Clarke in half the games. Admittedly not a great deal of them but still.

Mayne I agree completely. He cannot be the 2nd/3rd tall, but I think his goal totals indicate that he is worth having in the forward line irrespective. Ala Josh Hill who has Kennedy, Darling and Sinclair taking the KPDs.

Mayne has been in the system long enough to have improved but he is very hot and cold ,cold mostly ,that miss form 30 meters out is unacceptable. The thing is that he does it more often then not ,even with his specially marked out run up. The guy has not improved at all and really could almost join the De Boer and Suban bandwagon. Sure he's a good tackler and putting pressure on players but all the modern players of today are now expected to do that. The problem with Mayne is that's all he can do, can you every remember him being in the best 3 or 4 players in a game, he's barely a foot soldier. I know occasionally he may kick 2 or 3 gaols but unfortunately not often enough for a forward flanker.

It's all in his head I reckon. He seems to focus too much on his routine rather than just do what is natural. When he thinks too much is when he loses accuracy and distance.

Same can be said for any clubs bottom of the list players.Losses are caused by the so called gun players not playing to their optimum.
So Fyfe has to play at a super human level every week? No wonder he looks stuffed.

Every player pulling their weight is a must. A number of the bottom end have been effectively carried by the better players to this point. And now, after a long season and tiring bodies, it's those who have carried the team to so many wins who are at fault?

Why not some accountability for the bottom end? They get a free ride when things are good and when things are bad.

Mayne I agree completely. He cannot be the 2nd/3rd tall, but I think his goal totals indicate that he is worth having in the forward line irrespective. Ala Josh Hill who has Kennedy, Darling and Sinclair taking the KPDs.
Yep, which makes having Pavlich, Griffin/Sandilands and A.Pearce/Taberner all the more important. We missed Pav on the weekend so Mayne became the 3rd tall.

Yep, which makes having Pavlich, Griffin/Sandilands and A.Pearce/Taberner all the more important. We missed Pav on the weekend so Mayne became the 3rd tall.

Yeah, although he would have been in the 'good performances' basket if his kicking weren't a lottery.

My preferred structure is Pav, Griff/Clarke, Tabs, Mayne, Walters, Crozier.

A Pearce down back with the potential to swing forward if we need to sub out a tall. I just think Tabs has him covered on leading up outside 50 and drawing out a man, and has a slightly better field kick at the moment. Pearce has Tabs on pure football ability.

So Fyfe has to play at a super human level every week? No wonder he looks stuffed.

Every player pulling their weight is a must. A number of the bottom end have been effectively carried by the better players to this point. And now, after a long season and tiring bodies, it's those who have carried the team to so many wins who are at fault?

Why not some accountability for the bottom end? They get a free ride when things are good and when things are bad.

If Fyfe is our only gun player we are in serious trouble.Why should the top end get a free ride if they aren't performing.The bottom end players are down the list for a reason.Who has been carried by the top end players.De Boer,Suban,Mzungu,Duff,Hannath,Clarke ,Taberner,Sutcliffe,Pearce are all at the lower end and have been in and out of the side.I would say that is holding them to accountability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back