Autopsy 11 point loss to North

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that's why Clarke was really dropped. He was getting smashed when he went into the ruck.

Yeah agree. Ross said as much a couple of time ISTR. He basically wasn't playing that 2nd ruck role well in those last few weeks.

Ross clearly doesn't expect much of the 2nd ruck when fwd except to be a target and compete hard enough to:

a) make oppo spare man struggle to mark it
b) bring it to ground so Balla(when there), Walters, Mayne and others can get to to it; create stoppages, or shots at goals from there - that sort of thing.

I'd like a team rule: if you're within 45 from goal and on a decent angle, unless the other team is abducted by aliens and ceases to exist then you shoot that ******* goal. Don't do it you get dragged.
Do it again you're out, because that shows me you are shifting responsibility and are scared of your own shadow.

You're an AFL FOOTBALLER, you are supposed to be able to kick those goals.

If it's a team instruction and you can't kick the goals then the coach has the responsibility to give them a gtfo ticket
*in right.

Have to like when he got caught on the "confidence" thing. RTB cracked up once he realised he'd forgotten about continuity.
Actually thought he was straight down the line for most of it, and when you watch it again after it's fairly apparent that he's a bit worried about our chances come finals too, but doesn't want to say it.
The "what is confidence" thing was just his way of stalling for time to think about how to say something he really doesn't want to say - and why would he? Some of our supporters seem to think that telling a team they're s**t and not going to make the finals is somehow constructive or leads to confidence, but the guys in charge are well aware that in real life, it simply doesn't work that way.
Malthouse admitted much the same thing earlier in the season ("well, I had to say that didn't I") even when it was fairly clear Carlton were junk a few games in.
RTB was just stalling. Journalists are always going to try to get a coach to admit he doesn't think they'll make it, it's just what they do.

Made me bloody laugh as much as Lyon did when he tripped over his own feet though.
Please. The correct answer here is "Confidence comes from action". The same muppets have heard the same thing all year and couldn't parrot it back.

True but who replaces them.Weller hasn't trained,Blakely injured,Grey has been average the last couple.Clarke concussed.Ballard a rookie.
Langdon is untried and would any of them stand up in the heat of a final.
Clancee,Duff ,Hannath is that replacing spud for spud?
When and I say when the Eagle spuds lose it in the finals heat who do they have to bring in.
Wasn't Grey best on for Peel last week and 20 disposals this week - would hardly class that as being average??

You can't blame the selection committee for AFL players missing 5 meter handballs and 20-30 meter kicks.
I watched quite a bit of Peel last year and was surprised at the lack of basic skills particularly kicking. Players missing targets on a regular basis often when not under pressure. This same issue was evident against North particularly in the last half.
Mayne's goal kicking is a real concern.
Walters is a gun and usually a very reliable shot for goal. He is very left sided and this will be identified going into the finals.
Pavlichs form has been average but never underestimate a champion particularly going into the finals.
Fyfe is a match winner at the stoppages not so sure about him forward.
Max Duffy is a goal kicker - excellent shot at goal and is a natural forward. Haven't seen much of Peel this year so not sure how he has been going. I think he would make a great sub.
Taberner is talented but needs to get some grunt and hunger. Should be dominating at Peel.
Alex Pearce has done an amazing job - played all last year for Peel down back and the majority of his senior games in defence. He has been pushed forward in recent games and has done well with limited supply. They don't kick it to him! He will benefit greatly from a couple of preseasons.
Of Freos recent form, i dont think they have been playing that badly, rather, I believe other teams have improved significantly as the season has progressed particularly, Richmond, Bulldogs, Eagles and maybe North.
Watched Eagles in the last two games and they have real momentum - their tall forwards worry me particularly Kennedy. Hes a great player and rarely misses the goals.
Going to be a great finals series.

Wasn't Grey best on for Peel last week and 20 disposals this week - would hardly class that as being average??

If you want good disposal Grey has work to do.Average at best but if its heart and effort Grey has it in spades.
Grey wasn't great against Perth according to a mate who was there.Probably not a good idea for me to judge him without seeing that particular game.

Didn't Saints look off in their last 3 games in 2009 and then won their QF by 12 goals? Why the worry... North were playing for finals today.
Saints of 2009 lost in rounds 20 and 21 to the bombers (2 points) and Roos (5points) respectively. Then played a weak Melbourne to head into finals. They won their 1st QF by 28 points.

1 thing the saints had in their favour was that their final 4 games of the season (round 22 through to the GF) were at the MCG- couldn't get a better dress rehearsal at the big dance than that. Also they had a tall forward in red hot form at the peak of his powers back in 2009. If only Pav could wind the clock back 5 years.

I don't think we can criticise Mundy, Fyfe, McPharlin, Johnson, Walters, Ibbotson etc. They play at a very high standard most weeks. Malcolm Blight always said the bottom five in your team are the difference between a very good team and not. We have heaps of passengers in our side who offer very, very, little on a consistent basis

They were off yesterday but.
- Mundy-gave away 50m at an important time resulting in a turnover.
- McPharlin- overstepped on a kick out at an important time resulting in a turnover.
- Walters-handball that missed Sutcliffe I think it was resulting in a turnover.
- Ibbotson-handball that telegraphed his intentions resulting in a turnover.

If these guys are making fundamental skill errors and poor decisions, no wonder we're in serious strife during that game.

Saints of 2009 lost in rounds 20 and 21 to the bombers (2 points) and Roos (5points) respectively. Then played a weak Melbourne to head into finals. They won their 1st QF by 28 points.

1 thing the saints had in their favour was that their final 4 games of the season (round 22 through to the GF) were at the MCG- couldn't get a better dress rehearsal at the big dance than that. Also they had a tall forward in red hot form at the peak of his powers back in 2009. If only Pav could wind the clock back 5 years.
Geez my memory is off then. But my point still stands. They still made the GF.

- McPharlin- overstepped on a kick out at an important time resulting in a turnover.
- Walters-handball that missed Sutcliffe I think it was resulting in a turnover.

If these guys are making fundamental skill errors and poor decisions, no wonder we're in serious strife during that game.
Add the Spurr handball to Sheridan resulting in a turnover.

Add the Spurr handball to Sheridan resulting in a turnover.

Pearce's kick in when he went Full Bachar was the worst for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So,thats what you do in a footy game.The kicker either thinks he can make it or ignores the call.A stuffed kick can't be blamed on the receiver.:rolleyes:

I don't recall who called for it as he was instantly swamped by five Roos but I think it's the responsibility of both parties. Same with that handball into the goalsquare in the Port vs Hawks game - should never have been called for. Still, Pearce should have recognised the trap and never kicked there. Mind you, I have no idea what he was doing kicking in. Or McPharlin just prior for that matter. We really lost our s**t in that last quarter.

That last kick wasn't a Houli – Johnson could've marked it, which could have set us up as that half of the ground was empty, but Johnson showed again he doesn't like hitting a contest... and so...

Wasn't Danyle kicking out because McPharlin lost his confidence after the "no-ball" call?

I have noticed that players are getting very close to the line when kicking out (across the whole league). It really is an amateur hour mistake. We should get Hill to take the kick out. He could smash it long, Sandi takes the mark, hand passes to a running Sheriden, he kicks to AP who should be in the middle, he hand passes to Hill and he kicks to Mayne on the lead. Mayne goes back and kicks at goal like Robocop. Unfortunately, Mayne misses but great effort was given.

I have noticed that players are getting very close to the line when kicking out (across the whole league). It really is an amateur hour mistake. We should get Hill to take the kick out. He could smash it long, Sandi takes the mark, hand passes to a running Sheriden, he kicks to AP who should be in the middle, he hand passes to Hill and he kicks to Mayne on the lead. Mayne goes back and kicks at goal like Robocop. Unfortunately, Mayne misses but great effort was given.

I think Hill kicking out from the defensive goal square is too much of a win for the opposition, personally.

I recognise the need for a long kick but I think we lose too much in line breaking traffic avoiding upfield, unless we are planning to slow crawl the ball inside attacking fifty.

I like seeing Hill run with the ball in space ahead towards goal but opposition coaches don't let that happen.

That last kick wasn't a Houli – Johnson could've marked it, which could have set us up as that half of the ground was empty, but Johnson showed again he doesn't like hitting a contest... and so...
It was a poor option. Pearce backed his kicking to beat the odds, not Johnson to beat 4 on 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back