Autopsy 11 point loss to North

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Hill kicking out from the defensive goal square is too much of a win for the opposition, personally.

I recognise the need for a long kick but I think we lose too much in line breaking traffic avoiding upfield, unless we are planning to slow crawl the ball inside attacking fifty.

I like seeing Hill run with the ball in space ahead towards goal but opposition coaches don't let that happen.

There generally isn't much up field as teams tend to press up. Seeing as Hill plays off half-back he is generally in the vicinity anyway, but I get your point. We shouldn't be relying on players like Hill, fyfe etc.. to do everything. I can't see Ross changing the plan much anyway, nor can I see Peel players being brought in for the slackers. The time has passed for that.

I always believe the best form of defence is scoreboard pressure. Too many times this season Freo (though they have won most) have wasted opportunity to kill off a game which always gives their opponents hope. Footy is a game of momentum swings unless it is very one sided. When an opponent kicks a few on the trot Freo have to respond. Luckily they have done that most of the time. Hopefully there is a special order put in for kicking boots arriving in time for the finals

That last kick wasn't a Houli – Johnson could've marked it, which could have set us up as that half of the ground was empty, but Johnson showed again he doesn't like hitting a contest... and so...

Rubbish, they left the top of the fifty open then collapsed on it, and the long kick gave them plenty of time to get there. It was too high a risk option.

They were off yesterday but.
- Mundy-gave away 50m at an important time resulting in a turnover.
- McPharlin- overstepped on a kick out at an important time resulting in a turnover.
- Walters-handball that missed Sutcliffe I think it was resulting in a turnover.
- Ibbotson-handball that telegraphed his intentions resulting in a turnover.

If these guys are making fundamental skill errors and poor decisions, no wonder we're in serious strife during that game.
Yeah, you might want to balance that out with the good stuff they did. All we ask from our second tier is to perform consistently at a reasonable level most weeks. C Pearce played ok for a few weeks and then turned into junk. Suban is an elite kick and he couldn't hit the side of a barn. Sutcliffe has improved slightly in the past two weeks but he has had an awful season. Deboer plays one reasonable game (two if you are lucky) and then that's it until he is dropped and brought back for the hundredth time. D Peace is just needed to reduce the gap between his good games and his worst a bit and he couldn't even do that. he is supposed to be an elite kick and he would be lucky to hit a target 50% of the time. Taberner's improvement has stalled. Clarke was even more useless than usual. Tendai has gone backwards at 100 miles an hour.Added to that Barlow, Ballantyne and Duffield have had very poor season. Many of our elite young players have taken their game to a new level (odd mistake aside). Many of our champion veterans have maintained a high standard (odd mistake aside) and some of our younger players have taken the next step (some error and inconsistency aside). The rest of the ones I have mentioned above have been a drag on the side and have cancelled out much of the improvement given to us by the likes of Fyfe, Hill, Neale, A Pearce, Walters etc (odd mistake aside)

I always believe the best form of defence is scoreboard pressure. Too many times this season Freo (though they have won most) have wasted opportunity to kill off a game which always gives their opponents hope. Footy is a game of momentum swings unless it is very one sided. When an opponent kicks a few on the trot Freo have to respond. Luckily they have done that most of the time. Hopefully there is a special order put in for kicking boots arriving in time for the finals
Agree. When you kicked 7 goals in the first quarter try to kick 8 in the second...

Some of the positives to take out of the match:

- Incredible first quarter display - play like this for 4 quarters and we win the GF.
- Ruck combination is working - 4 goals between Sandi and Griff; I feel their chemistry is really electric at the moment. They could be the key to the extra goals we need come finals.
- Mundy, Fyfe, Neale, Hill all doing their jobs.
- Walters in peak form.
- Spurr fantastic.

It's the first game this year that Macca/Johnson/Dawson have played in the same line-up and feel they need a little time to gel otherwise there's no way we would have conceded the number of goals we did. I'm really liking Sutcliffe atm - he's attained some new-found confidence and would be willing to admit at this stage I was wrong about him. He has really responded to his dropping a number of weeks ago.

The other positives: the Brownlow, the Mclelland Trophy, the Norm Smith and finally the Premiership are still up for grabs for us. And it looks as if we could still very well secure at least 2 out of those 4.

Just listened to some analysis on Fremantle on SEN's Pure Footy with David King/Glenn Luff of Champion Data.

Audio @ http://www.sen.com.au/audio. Short discussion from about 5 min mark.

Summary:

Scoring from stoppages in 2nd half of year the same as in first 9 rounds. Major difference is that Fremantle can no longer score against teams from turnover. Poor ball movement.

Being outscored on turnovers by approx 15 points per game by opposition.

Recapped that North kicked 8:3 from defensive chains starting in defensive 50. 7 of those 8 goals from turnovers. The other from a kick in.

King: Behind the goal vision says Fremantle play predominately 1 on 1 football, almost exclusively 1 on 1 in 2nd half vs North.

Opposition got easy overlap, opposition players with speed caught our players out. Some poor defending. Dawson/ D Pearce.

King: Behind the goal vision says Fremantle play predominately 1 on 1 football, almost exclusively 1 on 1 in 2nd half vs North. Opposition got easy overlap, opposition players with speed caught our players out. Some poor defending. Dawson/ D Pearce.

Thanks for flagging that analysis. The manic press and defensive pressure of 2013 is seemingly a departure in our current game plan. And as they analyse, when you're 1 on 1 and the opposition gets us on a turnover, we get exposed going the other way as we can get caught out by our lack of pace. Conversely, when we get the ball off them, our players are checked on the rebound versus being unmarked if playing the press.

Meanwhile, the likes of West Coast are being lauded for their press and we've moved on from it perhaps to our detriment. Kingy has previously made the point that if our strength is defence, maybe we should be hammering that home with our press as it may provide us with our best chance in the finals.

Interesting to see whether there are at least glimpses of it against the Dees tomorrow.

Thanks for flagging that analysis. The manic press and defensive pressure of 2013 is seemingly a departure in our current game plan. And as they analyse, when you're 1 on 1 and the opposition gets us on a turnover, we get exposed going the other way as we can get caught out by our lack of pace. Conversely, when we get the ball off them, our players are checked on the rebound versus being unmarked if playing the press.

Meanwhile, the likes of West Coast are being lauded for their press and we've moved on from it perhaps to our detriment. Kingy has previously made the point that if our strength is defence, maybe we should be hammering that home with our press as it may provide us with our best chance in the finals.

Interesting to see whether there are at least glimpses of it against the Dees tomorrow.

Or we have put it away as a tactic until the finals to conserve energy....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back