Traded 11. Tim Kelly (2018 - 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

After his quoted comments in the Advertiser 'that he wanted no 8 the number he played with in WA and was spewing that he didn't get it' not sure that I care much
It was definitely taken out of context, he basically said in an ideal world he'd wear 8.

The addy in particular add a bit of mayo to Geelong related news for some reason.

Gee, this bloke has been at the club for only a week and he is coping a fair bit already. I think people need to relax, be positive and what will be, will be. If he does decide to return home in 2-3 years, hopefully he has assisted us with winning a flag during that timeframe and we can get a good draft pick in return from one of the WA clubs. It won't be a disaster. People just need to roll with the punches and enjoy Kelly's development and footy with the club, however long that may be.

It was definitely taken out of context, he basically said in an ideal world he'd wear 8.

The addy in particular add a bit of mayo to Geelong related news for some reason.
Really- not so sure. Perhaps some media training for Tim then.

After his quoted comments in the Advertiser 'that he wanted no 8 the number he played with in WA and was spewing that he didn't get it' not sure that I care much

Really- not so sure. Perhaps some media training for Tim then.

Although I can understand your POV ... I think we have to be aware that if we want players to be natural and answer questions..occasionally their answer will be slightly off skew of what would expected. Perhaps with a little training as you say .he could have gone with something like.. not that fussed atm , its only a number..in 8 last year ..would have been happy with that but Id be happy to be here with 58 on my back..and I have been told 11 has quite a rich history. etc...
He seems to have a fairly call a spade a shovel type manner about him , Im not sure it was a complaint just more an off hand remark ..

I say we just give him a bit of elbow room and lets just get to see what he is like.

I think he's probably already over not getting 8 and will soon realise the history behind the number he has been given.
All we need now is fellow WA man Joel to come back and coach our mids..

I think he's probably already over not getting 8 and will soon realise the history behind the number he has been given.
I heard Kelly is over it. Eagles have offered to give him number 8 in a couple of years. :p
Seriously though. He wouldn't give a toss. To get number 8 would have just been an extra cherry on top, that is all.

Last edited:
Gee, this bloke has been at the club for only a week and he is coping a fair bit already. I think people need to relax, be positive and what will be, will be. If he does decide to return home in 2-3 years, hopefully he has assisted us with winning a flag during that timeframe and we can get a good draft pick in return from one of the WA clubs. It won't be a disaster. People just need to roll with the punches and enjoy Kelly's development and footy with the club, however long that may be.
Exactly.
And give him some time. Even though he is 23, he hasn't played AFL yet. He is experienced against bigger bodies but he has not experienced the pace of the AFL. I am sure that will take time. Not to mention that the WAFL is quite a good standard now but they still mostly play the old fashioned brand of footy with no flooding and sticking more to positions.
I hope the fans don't give up on him, even if he starts off struggling, or gets dropped.
Some seem to have written him off all ready.

I get that some people expect incoming players to know the heritage of their numbers etc, and some do...

I also think that in Kelly's case - he was a WC supporter as a kid, grows up in WA, and plays theres before GFC. He has a kid, twins on the way and then get drafted to the other side of the country.

With everything going on in his life currently, im gonna give him plenty of slack about not knowing the lineage of #11. Blokes got a fair bit happening to him and sitting down to do some number research probably aint high on his list right now.

I"n 3 months time, yeah he should know... but at the PC after his number is handed out.. give it a spell

GO Catters

The interview wasn't my favourite and the are the concerns around him having a very clear case of wanting to go home if, against the statistical odds, he's a gun.

Once he gets the family across, he gets more settled, we see a bit of pre season, and another interview I'll then update my concern level. Benefit of the doubt for now though.

The positive about his interview was he has that bit of swagger. I think diversity is excellent for a team and his personality looks like it adds to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly.
And give him some time. Even though he is 23, he hasn't played AFL yet. He is experienced against bigger bodies but he has not experienced the pace of the AFL. I am sure that will take time. Not to mention that the WAFL is quite a good standard now but they still mostly play the old fashioned brand of footy with no flooding and sticking more to positions.
I hope the fans don't give up on him, even if he starts off struggling, or gets dropped.
Some seem to have written him off all ready.

While all are entitled to their opinion , I doubt anyone with any understanding of gravitas of the afl or anyone with strong football intellect would be writing a player off so quickly, so recently drafted.. but the points you make are valid ones and are probably valid for most secondary comps. Certainly some forwards find it a tough gig. The level of athleticism means those who apply defensive effort , and teams who have a defensive mindset can stifle like no other lower footy comp. It may be a challenge for him to adapt but one doesn't hope for no challenges when wanting to be drafted. Tim appears to have the raw talents to succeed if he rises to the challenge.. if given some patience by the club and the acclimatisation to afl off the ground will play a huge role as well. Geelong have to put max effort into giving all help required

Just like with other 20 somethings we have drafted .. they come in with their bodies closer to ready but they do not come in with their mind attuned and that will take time. Yes they are closer to ready but it will not be a case (imo) of being at his best game 1 next year. Stewart is an example. He took time and cam good but I have no doubt he can be better again in 2018.

I get that some people expect incoming players to know the heritage of their numbers etc, and some do...

I also think that in Kelly's case - he was a WC supporter as a kid, grows up in WA, and plays theres before GFC. He has a kid, twins on the way and then get drafted to the other side of the country.

With everything going on in his life currently, im gonna give him plenty of slack about not knowing the lineage of #11. Blokes got a fair bit happening to him and sitting down to do some number research probably aint high on his list right now.

I"n 3 months time, yeah he should know... but at the PC after his number is handed out.. give it a spell

GO Catters

Its not surprising to me that a non Geelong follower would have little or no grasp of a number like 11. Let him settle to feel apart of it , that its his number and then I suspect bit by bit an understanding of the history will grow. Wasn't it Jimmy that got letters from the X number 3 ... ? And to be frank its a bit unfair to ask any recent draftee for that. Perhaps there would be some expectation because Corey was WA but really thats a minor link . he would have been just another Geelong player.. just like Schofield is at WestCoast for most kids here. There would be plenty of kids right now that would only know 35 as Dangers number , they may have an understanding of Chappy contribution to it.. but would many know of Scratcher or Goggin ? Have we had any indigenous players with 11? I cant think of it immediately..so why would anyone expect a player like Kelly. If I was drafted to Haw or Ess , and given 11 Id have to really search for it... its not like 23 or 32 ...

Have we had any indigenous players with 11? I cant think of it immediately
Those prominent players to wear the #11 at Geelong are;

Greg Williams
Bernie Smith
Peter Featherby (West Aussie)
Joel Corey (West Aussie)

Would be more of an issue if he was younger, but i think having to wait so long to finally get his chance is a good thing, cause he wants it more and will relish getting his chance. Makes it a bit less likely to want to leave.
I was about to make a similar comment. Players who miss 2 or 3 drafts don't tend to leave the club who draft them. More added pressure to stay.

Last edited:
Those prominent players to wear the #11 at Geelong are;

Greg Williams
Bernie Smith
Peter Featherby (West Aussie)
Joel Corey (West Aussie)

Well there you go ... thats 4 pretty good names...
Diesel I sort or knew but was not sure ... the others I had no idea. I really do not want to get political.. but JC is indigenous? Learn something every day? Smith is too long ago for me.. but that is one of the biggest names the club ever had .. I was under the impression that there had never been an indigenous coach..and Featherby.. gee that guy could find the ball.

Diesel I sort or knew but was not sure ... the others I had no idea. I really do not want to get political.. but JC is indigenous? Learn something every day? Smith is too long ago for me.. but that is one of the biggest names the club ever had .. I was under the impression that there had never been an indigenous coach..and Featherby.. gee that guy could find the ball.
I'm pretty sure JC is non-Indigenous

I don't think any are indigenous mate. I know you asked a specific question, but I was merely giving you a list of prominent names to have worn the number. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm pretty sure JC is non-Indigenous
I don't think any are indigenous mate. I know you asked a specific question, but I was merely giving you a list of prominent names to have worn the number. Sorry for the confusion.

No issue... although I think I have heard something about Greg Williams before.... In general ..I have heard some people claim to have been indigenous when by looks they were very Irish/Scottish ..if you know what I mean .. so its tough to just go by looks in this day and age.

No issue... although I think I have heard something about Greg Williams before.... In general ..I have heard some people claim to have been indigenous when by looks they were very Irish/Scottish ..if you know what I mean .. so its tough to just go by looks in this day and age.
In 1995, Williams was charged with racially vilifying West Coast Eagles opponent Chris Lewis, after referring to him as a "black campaigner" during a match; he was one of the first players charged under an AFL rule.

In 1995, Williams was charged with racially vilifying West Coast Eagles opponent Chris Lewis, after referring to him as a "black campaigner" during a match; he was one of the first players charged under an AFL rule.

Certainly not something I want to debate in length ... too easy to offend some with certain issues these days and I believe you are closer to the issue than I. I have heard/read William's has denied he had any ind. heritage and I guess that should be the end of it unless someone has some dna results... I have also heard others on field thought he was. I think Winmar got weeks for an incident with him.. Im sure you are much more knowledgable on the issue than I ..so I will leave it there.

In the end 11 may not have had an Ind player before..great chance for Tim to stamp his own imprimatur on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back