Traded 11. Tim Kelly (2018 - 2019)

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep - people can speculate that he'll be a risk of returning home due to family but from that interview he just sounds like a really dedicated young guy with a decent sense of responsibility and ambition. I hope the club does well by him and the young family when they're all together over in Victoria. A few other players with young families that he can hopefully bond and build good relationships with.

Really interested to see how this guy goes next year. I've got a good feeling and I really want to see him succeed based on the little snippets I've heard from him.
I really hope the partners family can come over permanently - in my experience if the mother already had a close relationship with her mother/family she will definitely want and require their support to help. Twins will make things double as hard - fingers crossed they come over to support them and help out - they will need it. The last thing we need is him to show some signs and then abandon us to go back to the west and we end up with our you know what in our hands - happens way too often.

I think it’s reseonable to consider a player wanting to leave and return home and given his situation it might be more prevalent at some point.. but the bloke has been here a week.

Premature much?

Go Catters

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Would be more of an issue if he was younger, but i think having to wait so long to finally get his chance is a good thing, cause he wants it more and will relish getting his chance. Makes it a bit less likely to want to leave.

hbk_aus

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
There were risks. Well worth taking in my opinion.

Its not really kelly that is the worry. Its whether his wife will have the support she needs in geelong.
Exactly. If his partner finds it hard raising 3 young kids away from home environment, family and friends (which is entirely possible and understandable) then Kelly would have no choice other than to look at his options.

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
You guys got a good one in Kelly. Most of the eagles thread had him at our pick 26. A few of us said pick 21 after we heard rumors about Geelong wanting him.
So disappointed we missed out on him.
How long is his contract again?:devil:

He has everything any team would want in a midfielder. Inside/outside mid. Good pace out of the contest and very dangerous in the forward line. In one game this year, as a midfielder/resting forward, he managed 35 possessions and 7 goals.

Including WAFL goal of the year. (35 sec in)

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl-goals-of-the-year-bc-5570997872001

You guys got a good one in Kelly. Most of the eagles thread had him at our pick 26. A few of us said pick 21 after we heard rumors about Geelong wanting him.
So disappointed we missed out on him.
How long is his contract again?:devil:

He has everything any team would want in a midfielder. Inside/outside mid. Good pace out of the contest and very dangerous in the forward line. In one game this year, as a midfielder/resting forward, he managed 35 possessions and 7 goals.

Including WAFL goal of the year. (35 sec in)

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl-goals-of-the-year-bc-5570997872001

Thanks for the input. We did get some WA posters on here at draft time that said we had snagged a good one. Time will tell of course but its great to hear from locals that have seen him in the flesh.

His contract is for 10 years so piss off!! ;):p - but seriously im sure its just the standard 2 year deal.... so far...

And that GOTY is remarkably similar to one that Cocky kicked in a preseason game Vs the Crows a year ago.

Having 2 blokes at similar age and skill doing that certainly would be a sight.

Go Catters

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks for the input. We did get some WA posters on here at draft time that said we had snagged a good one. Time will tell of course but its great to hear from locals that have seen him in the flesh.

His contract is for 10 years so piss off!! ;):p - but seriously im sure its just the standard 2 year deal.... so far...

And that GOTY is remarkably similar to one that Cocky kicked in a preseason game Vs the Crows a year ago.

Having 2 blokes at similar age and skill doing that certainly would be a sight.

Go Catters
Do you think you drafted Kelly to allow Ablett to play mostly forward? Or do you expect Ablett to have plenty of midfield time?
It's risky with his shoulders to play him in the midfield I would have thought.

Do you think you drafted Kelly to allow Ablett to play mostly forward? Or do you expect Ablett to have plenty of midfield time?
We drafted Kelly as we need outside run and speed after losing Motlop. Kelly will play on a wing I presume. Ablett will play predominantly midfield.

GAJ will play both - I think if he's expecting an even split he'll be disappointed.

But Kelly could well be one that gets MF time in rotations with GAJ going forward...

Will be an interesting balance... and you cant have GAJ, Sel and PFD all going for the ball...

Go Catters

And there you have BF at its best.. one says majority MF, another says its split.. :):thumbsu:

Go Catters

hbk_aus

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
Will be an interesting balance... and you cant have GAJ, Sel and PFD all going for the ball...

Go Catters
Was thinking about this today - while the 3 of them lining up in the middle at once is a salacious thought, none of them are known for being all that interested in what their opponent is doing. So it may be that only 2 of them play on ball at once.

Or Scott may just throw caution to the wind and back them to win enough of the ball that it doesn't matter what the opposition do...:D

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
We drafted Kelly as we need outside run and speed after losing Motlop. Kelly will play on a wing I presume. Ablett will play predominantly midfield.
I won't argue about the outside run but I think it would be a mistake to play Kelly on the wing. He had a breakout year as an inside mid. As far as I know he has never played on the wing. I may be wrong.

I don't have a clue what your plans are but Geelong should treat him the same as Danger and Ablett. Midfield and resting forward.

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
And there you have BF at its best.. one says majority MF, another says its split.. :):thumbsu:

Go Catters
I think it would have to be split or I was even thinking 1/3 of the time midfield. He will last longer if he plays more forward I believe. Probably get you 5 goals a game as well.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Ablett is not going to be able to mark overhead to play forward and forward defensive pressure was never his forte post breaking out as an elite player so doubt he will play forward much at all to be honest.

For mine starting centre square mids are Ablett and Selwood as attacking mids and Scooter as the defensive mid with Danger at full forward.

The second rotation of centre square mids are Danger and Menegola as attacking mids and Blicavs as the defensive mid with Ablett outside on a wing and to be used as the link man to deliver the ball into the 50 rather than a traditional line breaking wingman similar to Mitch Duncan I guess.

If Kelly comes in and does well over pre season then he can definitely eye off Menegola's inside minutes IMO.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Ablett is not going to be able to mark overhead to play forward and forward defensive pressure was never his forte post breaking out as an elite player so doubt he will play forward much at all to be honest.

For mine starting centre square mids are Ablett and Selwood as attacking mids and Scooter as the defensive mid with Danger at full forward.

The second rotation of centre square mids are Danger and Menegola as attacking mids and Blicavs as the defensive mid with Ablett outside on a wing and to be used as the link man to deliver the ball into the 50 rather than a traditional line breaking wingman similar to Mitch Duncan I guess.

If Kelly comes in and does well over pre season then he can definitely eye off Menegola's inside minutes IMO.

You don’t need to be able to mark overhead to play forward. GAJ will play forward plenty this season.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
You don’t need to be able to mark overhead to play forward. GAJ will play forward plenty this season.

You need to bring more than kicking goals to the forward line. I'm sure feeding GAJ the ball he could kick 40-50 goals no problems but he would basically be Menzel less the ability to take a contested mark. Definitely should be playing 80% + of his time in midfield with Danger who can actually do everything required to play as a forward spending more time forward instead. It will be an interesting ego battle if Ablett comes in and kills it and takes the edge off Dangers media love fest.

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
After his quoted comments in the Advertiser 'that he wanted no 8 the number he played with in WA and was spewing that he didn't get it' not sure that I care much

Back