List Mgmt. #11. Tim Kelly - Welcome to West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

You really think your club (or any club for that matter) would not have done the same thing were they in the same situation?

BTW, I'm really not here to pick a fight. Loved watching Tim play for us and I hope he thrives in his home state.
WC would have behaved far better. Cats came across as spitreful uncaring Scotts.

I rate them.

Second

Where does this 5 X all Australian fullback play? Defence.
Why even mention him when I'm talking about our midfield and forward line

And Pickett and stack...who knows how good they will be but stack was dropped when we played Richmond at the mcg and Pickett had played 1 game.

Strange you took exception to my comment but I guess it isn't that strange

Another eagles premiership would just about do your head in wouldn't it lol.
Point being ? We have a dual AA captain HBF and 4 time in a row AA CHB in defence. Nic AA 2012, Shuey NSM, Yeo dual AA, Gaff duel AA, Kelly AA is a AAA midfield and Kennedy and darling are roos and lynches equal

Clearly we felt it was more important to have Gorter on the list, a backup to the backup to the backup to the backup key position defender who is actually more the height of a third tall defender and is an average WAFL level player with limited upside. You can see why they made this decision.
I know, that decision was up there with Mitch Brown as a foward pocket. Hindsight is a funny thing though

No body expects peanuts given his ability but his genuine needs to be home have been known since before he was drafted hindsight ect I’m still surprised Wells took a flyer

His kids were actually diagnosed after he arrived in Geelong.

And why wouldn't Wells take him at pick 24? He has turned that pick into 2 elite seasons, plus a trade for 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders. It's a pretty good roi.

I don't think it was hindsight, pretty much as soon as he was picked people were saying it was a poor selection.
If you were referring to Gorter, he actually had a good season that year with EP. He stood out as a key defender and recall some people suggesting towards the end of the season that we should pick him up cheaply. It wasn't that out of the blue on draft day. He seemed to be a flash in the pan though and never did much after that. He wasn't really required either.

If you were referring to Gorter, he actually had a good season that year with EP. He stood out as a key defender and recall some people suggesting towards the end of the season that we should pick him up cheaply. It wasn't that out of the blue on draft day. He seemed to be a flash in the pan though and never did much after that. He wasn't really required either.
Was fairly obvious he wasn't AFL standard, if you look back there's plenty of people calling it out not long after the draft as a bad pick.
Just a few comments from draft day:

"I was hoping for so much more from the RD after a pretty good ND. I get Petrie even if I disagree with the decision. To keep Frase on the list just sees us chokkers with middle of the road/list cloggers fwd rucks. We could of taken Banfield, Hinge, Olango, Goddard, even Sproule and we went with Gorter and the other two guys. What a disappointment - prove me wrong WCE for the love of god. "

"As for the over reaction to the rookie draft..... well speaking for myself that was exacerbated by the Gorter selection seems like a needless positional addition to the list , because another inside midfielder would have been nice ( its not like we are awash with them ) and there were some good candidates there to pick from. "

"Gorter is a very odd selection for me given we just took Rotham in the ND.

Anyway. "

Was fairly obvious he wasn't AFL standard, if you look back there's plenty of people calling it out not long after the draft as a bad pick.
Just a few comments from draft day:

"I was hoping for so much more from the RD after a pretty good ND. I get Petrie even if I disagree with the decision. To keep Frase on the list just sees us chokkers with middle of the road/list cloggers fwd rucks. We could of taken Banfield, Hinge, Olango, Goddard, even Sproule and we went with Gorter and the other two guys. What a disappointment - prove me wrong WCE for the love of god. "

"As for the over reaction to the rookie draft..... well speaking for myself that was exacerbated by the Gorter selection seems like a needless positional addition to the list , because another inside midfielder would have been nice ( its not like we are awash with them ) and there were some good candidates there to pick from. "

"Gorter is a very odd selection for me given we just took Rotham in the ND.

Anyway. "
Im not saying it was the right pick but you can see some reasoning behind it considering he played for our reserves team and had a good year. It would be a bit like us selecting Nick Reid this year even though we dont need forwards. Its not like old mate Burrows who will remain a mystery for all eternity.

Im not saying it was the right pick but you can see some reasoning behind it considering he played for our reserves team and had a good year. It would be a bit like us selecting Nick Reid this year even though we dont need forwards. Its not like old mate Burrows who will remain a mystery for all eternity.
Which would be a s**t pick, he's a fairly good WAFL player but you can tell he's definitely not AFL quality. Would be a complete waste of a list spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kids were actually diagnosed after he arrived in Geelong.

And why wouldn't Wells take him at pick 24? He has turned that pick into 2 elite seasons, plus a trade for 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders. It's a pretty good roi.
True but there was strong suspicions that the eldest would require special care before he was drafted

Well I recently got rid of my old dim telly to get a new brighter picture one. It was quite expensive and big. I probably overpaid, but I don't regret it one bit. It has very fast start up and in it's actions and reliability are superb.

Ok, maybe not peanuts. But 22 & 24 is a far cry from the actual deal that got done 12 months later.
True. It is also a far cry from what was offered last year.

In the end Geelong had no interest in trading him last year, which is their prerogative, but any suggestion that WC just offered 2 x 2nd round picks is rubbish.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok, maybe not peanuts. But 22 & 24 is a far cry from the actual deal that got done 12 months later.

It was 22, 24 & our 2019 2nd rounder. For a first year player.

Geelong wanted 22, 24 and our 2019 1st rounder. For a first year player picked at 24.

Geelong wasn't going to let him go. They're on record as saying unless it was an exceptional offer, no deal. And further that they didn't want to make a competitor stronger.

They wanted a good - very good (now) player for peanuts. Was it poor form of Geelong? That's subjective. But this narrative that we were having a laugh with our offer in 2018 is clearly nonsense.

But this narrative that we were having a laugh with our offer in 2018 is clearly nonsense.

I don’t think you were having a laugh. You are a professional club and you do what you have to do.
The offer just wasn’t good enough so everyone said let’s reload next year. Ultimately you paid a lot more but you got a jet so it’s still a win win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back