Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
This week will be interesting. The game against Brisbane suited Gulden perfectly. He had no one on him for most of the game, and the fact the brisbane defenders sagged back suited his lead into space for the short kick. He also had Ah Chee who was terrible.

The Crows will be paying him more respect, will have a close tag on him to stop the short lead. Having said that he is a remarkable talent and may dominate anyway.

I also predict the next week Richmond will play dirty.
The boy that's not getting as many raps as he should is Wicks , just fits in so well with Paps

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
The boy that's not getting as many raps as he should is Wicks , just fits in so well with Paps
I'm a big fan of Wicks. Had some very slick moves and some nice finishing to go with his defensive pressure.

Paps was able to work his magic again because he's not carrying the entire forward line.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm a big fan of Wicks. Had some very slick moves and some nice finishing to go with his defensive pressure.

Paps was able to work his magic again because he's not carrying the entire forward line.
For an 8 gamer Wicks has the confidence to back himself in kicking goals rather than chipping to other more experienced players. I like our smalls in Papley, Wicks and Gulden. All have determination and tricks to mesmorize defences.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
For an 8 gamer Wicks has the confidence to back himself in kicking goals rather than chipping to other more experienced players. I like our smalls in Papley, Wicks and Gulden. All have determination and tricks to mesmorize defences.
And they are all different

Agree with all of the above sentiments re Papley, Wicks & Gulden. That's the ground level forward trio for the better part of the next decade if they can play enough games together. Becomes that much harder for a Nick Smith (who other teams in the comp could only wish they had one of) to shut one down when there's another two that can cause some chaos. All know how to get up the ground and work for their own possessions too.

Paps had 2 absolutely brilliant plays yesterday. One where he almost took a cracking contested mark, spilt it, got up and won the ball and fired out a handball whilst being tackled, then got up again, got a handball back and kicked the goal. 3 efforts in the space of 10 seconds turned nothing into 6 points.

The other was up on a wing where we put his body on the line in a marking contest against two bigger crows defenders and got crunched, which let Wicks get the ball and lead to another goal.

Both goals were created off the back of Papley's determination and courage respectively, thoroughly deserves his place in the Bloods leadership team.

Also have to echo the sentiments re: Wicks. His fundamentals are rock solid; tackles hard, shepherds when he should and most importantly *kicks goals from his set shots*. Always seems to make the right play instead of going glory hunting, and I'd say that he's locked up a spot in the 22 now.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
I love that Papley seems focused on team play. He was our main forward for large chunks last year and carried a lot of responsibility so I thought he tried some things that weren't a great option but he didn't have the support. Now he's still playing brilliantly but has quality options to dish to as well.

I thought he was the best small forward in the game last year but I think the lack of support in the forward line damaged his chances for an AA berth. That and the fact the AA team seems to need to have 12 midfielders in it.

Last edited:
Tom #11 - Stuart Maxfield, Max Papley, Peter Bedford, Mark Browning, Bob Pratt, Roy Cazaly :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes:

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Tom #11 - Stuart Maxfield, Max Papley, Peter Bedford, Mark Browning, Bob Pratt, Roy Cazaly :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes:
They forget to mention Max was Captain - Coach of Bunyip , best coach i ever had.

Back