Player Watch #11 Tom Papley

BloodySwan

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Sydney
I can't remember where I read this but when we threw Papley into the contest mid last year the Swans would win around 70% of clearances where Papley was involved. He didn't make the clearance himself but his drive and involvement was enough to get it out in our favour.

In saying that he's not doing that this year. I'd be much happier to just through him back down forward and pinch hitting in the middle

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The King!

Chosen One
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
I can't remember where I read this but when we threw Papley into the contest mid last year the Swans would win around 70% of clearances where Papley was involved. He didn't make the clearance himself but his drive and involvement was enough to get it out in our favour.

In saying that he's not doing that this year. I'd be much happier to just through him back down forward and pinch hitting in the middle

Probably a swans site fluff piece with Kirk advocating versatility

Bloodied52

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Sydney
Amazing to think how much impact Tom has had without having done a full pre season. Who knows how he will go in the mids. I admit to concern his lack of size and his fearless approach might make him vulnerable to being ironed out.

It also raises the question of who will kick goals. I hope Honky Tonk and Haystack are set for big years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kirkswan

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Sydney
Amazing to think how much impact Tom has had without having done a full pre season. Who knows how he will go in the mids. I admit to concern his lack of size and his fearless approach might make him vulnerable to being ironed out.

It also raises the question of who will kick goals. I hope Honky Tonk and Haystack are set for big years.
I was astounded when I read that too! Imagine this year... :D I can't wait!

I'm not worried about who will kick goals, because the answer is quite obviously everyone!!! :p;)

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Made my feelings about the whole midfield move pretty clear before but can we talk about how impressive it is that this guy's a leader at our club now? From a rookie plumber who came literally out of nowhere, with a punchable face (sorry Paps) and shit-stirring attitude, comes off like a smart-arse larrikin in interviews (the good kind). Now voted into the leadership group and embracing greater challenges in his game at just 22 years of age. Just goes to show you should never judge a book by it's cover! Bravo Tommy!

connolly

Club Legend
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
Made my feelings about the whole midfield move pretty clear before but can we talk about how impressive it is that this guy's a leader at our club now? From a rookie plumber who came literally out of nowhere, with a punchable face (sorry Paps) and shit-stirring attitude, comes off like a smart-arse larrikin in interviews (the good kind). Now voted into the leadership group and embracing greater challenges in his game at just 22 years of age. Just goes to show you should never judge a book by it's cover! Bravo Tommy!
Never underestimate a plumber. Carries on the fine tradition of great plumber players and captains at the club. Paul Kelly. And of course the great Bobby Skilton did a plumbing apprenticeship at South Melbourne Tech. Not sure whether he finished?

Last edited:
AFL Club
Sydney
Moderator #293
Paps fast become a favourite of mine... Reminds me of a past favourite of mine in the #13 super Schneider-man!

He shows the kind of heart & soul I love. It lifts the team. Clearly, that is the trait of a leader. I'm really looking forward to seeing him fit & firing this season. With Ronke and Hazy both with a season under the belt, Hanners moving on... Paps has so much opportunity to lift his game another level (despite me being perfectly happy with how he has been tracking thus far).

Bloodied52

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Sydney
I think he could take home Bobby this year
On yesterday, he'd be a chance. He just needs some luck with his body. Paps plays as if he built like a 6'4'' 14 Stone brick scheizenhouse. Just want him to look after himself.

Bravery is in the DNA of all AFL players. Maybe it is because he is short and relatively light that his feats stand out so much.

Top Bottom