Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:

This pick I love, perfect needs based selection and seems like a good kid with great skills. Wonderful selection.

His first senior game is everything we've been crying out for from baby jack. Exquisite and looked at home, certainly one of the first on the team sheet for me, since he gives us something the team has blatantly needed for the last 4 years.

His first senior game is everything we've been crying out for from baby jack. Exquisite and looked at home, certainly one of the first on the team sheet for me, since he gives us something the team has blatantly needed for the last 4 years.

Yep. You need a small forward. This idea of plonking mids forward never is a great idea. They are not natural forwards

Yep. You need a small forward. This idea of plonking mids forward never is a great idea. They are not natural forwards
Tom Mitchell did a decent job as well as a small forward, so it's good that we have legitimate options to play forward now
- Parker
- Mitchell
- Papley
- KJack

Unfortunately we don't have 2012 Kennedy, since he was fantastic as that 3rd tall when resting forward.

Tom Mitchell did a decent job as well as a small forward, so it's good that we have legitimate options to play forward now
- Parker
- Mitchell
- Papley
- KJack

Unfortunately we don't have 2012 Kennedy, since he was fantastic as that 3rd tall when resting forward.

Add Heeney to the list who can rotate between mid and forward. Kennedy should play forward a bit in my view.

Yeah completely forgot about him, was injured almost all of last year, heh. Rose as well, even Mills who was a goal kicker in his junior years.

I like the fact that we have more goal kicking options. George Hewett can go forward too.

All the young players were really impressive going forward, even Mills's passes to Hewett were outstanding.

Blokes that can kick the ball are worth their weight in gold. Mills could be one of our best ever players in my view

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always screaming out for him to do something, anything, even put his head over it. He was Paul Bevan level small forward, just total s**t.

He reminded me of Luke Ablett sometimes. He just does nothing more often than not

What Bevan and Ablett lacked in skill they made up for in guts and determination. It's early days but Papley looks to have that combination of both skill and toughness.

What Bevan and Ablett lacked in skill they made up for in guts and determination. It's early days but Papley looks to have that combination of both skill and toughness.

Bevan had a lot of skills to make up for sadly

Bevan had a lot of skills to make up for sadly

He wasn't that bad, I remember him being handy in front of goal, he kicked 3 or 4 in an elimination final once. But a genuine small forward he was not.

In the AFL it is getting to the point where guts and determination are no longer enough. You have to be a good kick as well and Papley is definite that.

What sort of vehicle will we be riding? Pap-mobile? Pap-wagon? Pap-icopter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In honour of our coach i went with a horse, but i also i went with a pun as bad as everyone elses :)

Behold the pAppaloosa. Seen here frolicking in the snow.
appaloosa red and white.jpg
Note: I may have wasted a little of my day photoshoppping a black spotted horse into red and white, all for a really bad pun. Such is life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back