Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
The entire argument of getting a trade pick etc is redundant in my thinking because that trade pick could say up yours I'm outta here, I want a trade to whoever in X years time. If a guy who no one wanted, gets given his opportunity late from a club he has ties to through family and barracked for then what hope have we got, obviously not loyalty. Sorry Paps, your contracted next year, see you at pre season training. Show so ******* balls swans head honchos, otherwise contracts are a ******* joke.
I'm sure young Tom is, incredibly devoted to the Swans. It is, shite media speculation stated by Barratt

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

They can’t & won’t match. They are tight for space after signing Stringer, Shiel,Smith & struggled to hold Tippa & Zaharakis last year. They won’t match anything we are prepared to throw at him & freeing up space in the cap to keep others is what this whole Daniher to Swans possibility is about.

Daniher is on ~700k a year with us.

Depending what the swans offer him we would only have to find room for what another 250K - 300K? Things are not that tight with the bombers cap...

Would be interesting what you guys could/would actually offer him? If its anything in the realm of $1 mil we can match it, above that its probably a different story - but then theres a level of risk with his injuries etc. Definaltey a fun one to discuss!

Daniher is on ~700k a year with us.

Depending what the swans offer him we would only have to find room for what another 250K - 300K? Things are not that tight with the bombers cap...

Would be interesting what you guys could/would actually offer him? If its anything in the realm of $1 mil we can match it, above that its probably a different story - but then theres a level of risk with his injuries etc. Definaltey a fun one to discuss!
You're in a Tom Papley thread matey!

You're in a Tom Papley thread matey!
Who has been linked with a potential Daniher trade. Regardless of whether there is any truth to both players moving, it seems a measured and well place post by HTW.
I would be surprised if Papley ended up at Carlton next year but if Sydney are serious about Daniher, it may be an option. Question is does the outcome make Sydney better because they hold all the cards unless Papley requests a trade.
Will be interesting to see if any of this comes close to playing out.

Who has been linked with a potential Daniher trade. Regardless of whether there is any truth to both players moving, it seems a measured and well place post by HTW.
I would be surprised if Papley ended up at Carlton next year but if Sydney are serious about Daniher, it may be an option. Question is does the outcome make Sydney better because they hold all the cards unless Papley requests a trade.
We have a draft thread , this one is for Papley . Thanks see you on the other thread.

Who has been linked with a potential Daniher trade.

We can trade for Daniher without the need to trade out Papley. It’s not a mutually exclusive trade. The only link Papley has with any potential Daniher trade is the belief that a) we want to keep a 1st Round Pick to use in the draft if we trade for Daniher and b) that we want to trade Tom.

We can keep Tom, still trade for Daniher and still get a 1st Round Pick via a trade that doesn’t involve trading Tom.

So yeah maybe this is the wrong thread

We can trade for Daniher without the need to trade out Papley. It’s not a mutually exclusive trade. The only link Papley has with any potential Daniher trade is the belief that a) we want to keep a 1st Round Pick to use in the draft if we trade for Daniher and b) that we want to trade Tom.

We can keep Tom, still trade for Daniher and still get a 1st Round Pick via a trade that doesn’t involve trading Tom.

So yeah maybe this is the wrong thread
Have posted the same in your trade hypotheticals thread.
Read the whole post, I’m not trolling just interested in discussion.

Something weird going on with Paps’ Twitter. He has seemingly deleted all old tweets, changed his name and profile pic, and has seen weird replies.

Attachments

• D9735D60-F987-431D-9001-BAECDF18D60A.png
    D9735D60-F987-431D-9001-BAECDF18D60A.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 349

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typically a team signs up a player and they over pay them for their output. I suspect that Tom has locked himself into a contract that is way unders what he could be getting elsewhere just because he has improved signifcantly from what was expected. If the Swans have him locked in on a relatively low salary then it makes extra sense to hold onto him. Unfortunate for Tom but his time will come to reap the benefits if he continues on his trajectory.

I wouldn't say he's on way unders. More likely being offered way overs because Carlton are desperate
And then turned into the ‘I wanna go home’ excuse. Great that Papley hasn’t said a thing...keeps people speculating and it’s quite humorous!

Last edited:
Media going to be all over young Tom when he rocks up. Can’t wait for the frenzy based on his responses.:oops:

Does anyone else think this has a 2009 feel about things this off season?

- We failed to make finals.
- We had a few retirements.
- We had Jolly wanting to go back home to Collingwood after Eddie & co got into him at the Brownlow.
- We recruited our next group of players that helped take us to our next period of success.

A very familiar feel indeed.

- We had Jolly wanting to go back home to Collingwood after Eddie & co got into him at the Brownlow.
- We recruited our next group of players that helped take us to our next period of success.

Keren Jack said words to that effect recently - I think in press conference before final game. That the club now feels like that period around when we missed the finals, with a bunch of senior players departing and young players like Jack, Macca, Grundy having to step up, and guys like Hannebery, Parker, Reid, Pyke just joining.

Yep I've been thinking that. We've got a good group of young guys to spring forward with over the next 2 years but we still need a few more in the 24-28 age range to jump back into finals I think.

The retirement concern that clubs have is really unfounded imo. Mass retirements open up enormous opportunities for younger players who are likely capable of stepping up, given your recruiting is decent. Each of our little successful runs over the last 20 years have been immediately preceded by a pretty big group of retiring greats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back