Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Can spend the year in the NEAFL for all I care. We aren't going anywhere next season and he'll just want back out again in 6 months time anyway.

The club must still rate Tom pretty highly if Gardiner's comments on Swans TV are anything to go by. Gardiner said we were open to a trade, but didn't want to lose him without bringing in a player of a similar calibre. He sounded happy that we were able to hold on to him.
Who were we targeting as his replacement do you think? Not Daniher obviously, Tom is not of a similar calibre

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just want to add a HUGE rap for Tom Papley.:thumbsu:

Swans were obviously very confident of his claim "to be professional" and knew he would not leave unless Swans benefitted.

Even if he wants to try again next year, we know Swans will try to help, BUT watch him toe in and prove his (even higher) value next year. He is a GUN!

Look, I know I'm not in their situation but I can't believe these people whinge so much about having to live in Sydney and be paid ridiculous amounts of money. Treat it as a fun time in your life and then move back to Melbourne when you retire in your early 30s which is still really, really young.

I'm slightly more sympathetic when kids are in the picture because I know how hard it is to raise children and having family close by is a huge help. But that's not the case here.

Still surprised we held onto him. Did the club not trade him out of spite?? I mean they were shopping his pick around so they were happy to trade him.. dont get me wrong im glad we have him for next year and hope we can convince him to stay long term...but would love to know the reasoning behind it

Still surprised we held onto him. Did the club not trade him out of spite?? I mean they were shopping his pick around so they were happy to trade him.. dont get me wrong im glad we have him for next year and hope we can convince him to stay long term...but would love to know the reasoning behind it

Didn’t get the deal they wanted. Fair enough too.

Not a big fan of holding players hostage...just going to go through this again in 12 months...unlikely we get an offer of pick 9 for him next year

We didn’t get an offer of 9. We got an offer of 9 for Papley AND pick 25.

Papley should blame the Blues for not rating him high enough and just trying to piggyback off the Daniher Trade.

We didn’t get an offer of 9. We got an offer of 9 for Papley AND pick 25.

Papley should blame the Blues for not rating him high enough and just trying to piggyback off the Daniher Trade.
Still a 16 pick upgrade to a top 10 pick is not a terrible deal for papley...if carlton improve next year, we will be getting a lower pick than 9

Clearly no spite.

Swans have not had a top pick since McVeigh (think about that) 5 was never going to be used for Daniher.

Carlton (confirmed by SOS after trade period) it was not just 9 as Blues wanted something back, likely wanting 25 or 3rd rounder, back (he didn't specify).

Beatson, Gardiner, Harley all have confirmed Papley trade, was dependent on getting Daniher.

I hope you are not one of the posters here who whine about Swans not kicking enough goals???

Papley leading goal kicker, required player who put his hand up (or Swans knew he could pull a top 10) to help Swans chase Daniher but said "I will be professional and happy to stay"

Not so serious :(He gets stuck in next few years ......and then his Mrs will never have to work again ever!!!!! and have a Coogee beach mansion, and she can fly to Vic anytime she wants.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back