Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Clarkson’s got in his head a bit, i reckon. He’s always baited people and sought out high tackles. Never really considered him an egregious diver, though.

Yep agree with this

I reckon it is going to build now unfortunately and unfairly , can’t defend yesterday’s, but that’s also on the umpires too

Clarkson’s got in his head a bit, i reckon. He’s always baited people and sought out high tackles. Never really considered him an egregious diver, though.

He's also had the death of a close mate to deal with while in isolation. Given that and having the spotlight well and truly shone on him like he hasn't experienced before (via Clarkson and from leading the Coleman for a few weeks), seems like he's just having an off fortnight under the watchful and weighty eyes of the footy public.

Hoping the leaders and Longmire go to him and tell him to just play his game and get out of his head a little.

Clear push in the back when he jumped

I would hope the free kick would have been paid without the mayonnaise.

Terrible look exaggerating to that extent and gives Clarkson credibility to very irresponsible comments from him.

The general public have latched on like sheep and are loving the chance at piling on. Very bad timing to pull that out last night needlessly.

as had been said needs to just play his game and get through this unnecessary period of external pressure.

I have no problem with players playing for frees. It happens in every sport. It’s part of being a professional, I don’t agree with them being paid but it’s up to the umps to be smarter.

Papley turned a kick in which he couldn’t mark into a goal, excellent play for me

I have no problem with players playing for frees. It happens in every sport. It’s part of being a professional, I don’t agree with them being paid but it’s up to the umps to be smarter.

Papley turned a kick in which he couldn’t mark into a goal, excellent play for me

It’s the timing as much as anything. A couple of weeks after being called a diver, despite not having a history of such, he has doubled down by a massive overreaction to the contact by throwing himself forward.

Now he has a reputation he doesn’t really deserve but it will now stick with him.

It was a comical academy award winning move lol

It’s the timing as much as anything. A couple of weeks after being called a diver, despite not having a history of such, he has doubled down by a massive overreaction to the contact by throwing himself forward.

Now he has a reputation he doesn’t really deserve but it will now stick with him.

It was a comical academy award winning move lol
Who cares. I don’t know why it’s such a big deal in our game. He sucked the ump in and kicked as goal from an opportunity that really didn’t deserve one. If the ump is dumb enough to fall for it, it should be the ump who is criticised for it.

No different in nba where shooter lean in on a player who is playing perfect defence and still gets a foul called on them, yet over there the player is commended on a great play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Clark's on has handled the second wave of questions well. Journalists were always going to ask for his opinion, glad he didnt double down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back