Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no doubt he is staying
Looks happier. Maybe whatever family issues wanted him back in Vic are no longer the case? I'd certainly prefer him to be at the swans with their young list rather than at someone like Carlton, who do not deserve him.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Really loved that interview he gave, seemed like he's convinced himself to stick around (hope I'm not wrong).

You could see him stop himself when talking about where this team could go if they all stick together. Must be the message week in week out. If they all consistently develop like Papley we could go anywhere.

I've seen players those that want to leave. This is not the attitude of someone who is in that position. Just look at his reactions. The things he says. This is not the attitude of someone who is unhappy and plans to request a trade again.

maybe I will be proven wrong, but I just can't see it. Would be very deceitful from him otherwise, to act this way and then go the next. His absolute happiness and love for this club is just shown everywhere on his face. In the interview. In the song.

What a joy this game was.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Someone should tell these Carlton fans that Tom is staying lol.

1597333536855.png

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
paps is a great footballer but someone should help him with interviews
Hard straight after a game to give an interview when you’ve just played for two hours. However some players are better at it than others. Papley struggles a bit, he should use the book of cliches to get through. Borrow it from Buddy he does it with ease.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
paps is a great footballer but someone should help him with interviews

I enjoyed him calling Tony Jones Chompers on-air a couple of years ago. Tony Jones, ever eloquent, called him a dickhead. Let Bec Judd be the judge of who's the dickhead.

Don't know his family or financial situation but he's obviously enjoying his footy and Swans are a far better prospect than Carlton.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I enjoyed him calling Tony Jones Chompers on-air a couple of years ago. Tony Jones, ever eloquent, called him a dickhead. Let Bec Judd be the judge of who's the dickhead.

Don't know his family or financial situation but he's obviously enjoying his footy and Swans are a far better prospect than Carlton.
TJ's club plays mine and he is one of the greatest turds going around . He came to ours had no cash to pay at the Canteen , then when the return game happened his upper class mob didn't even have a canteen open. Love Paps

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Why ,i prefer him to show his own personality
Honestly my favourite interview of the year, bloody beautiful.

Almost said we were going to be something special if they stick together, stopped himself so it didn't sound too over confident, but you can tell thats what this young team is being told.

Paps here to stay after that interview!

Although Lloyds interview didn't scream confidence in Papley...

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Honestly my favourite interview of the year, bloody beautiful.

Almost said we were going to be something special if they stick together, stopped himself so it didn't sound too over confident, but you can tell thats what this young team is being told.

Paps here to stay after that interview!

Although Lloyds interview didn't scream confidence in Papley...

What did Lloyd say?

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Lloyd was just playing a straight bat, being conservative. He’s not going to come out say Papley is definitely staying 100% but I think the feeling around the club is that he will stay.

Will be such a sweet FU to Carlton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Still not convinced. Tim kelly was doing all the same things in the media even though he knew he was going to request again.

Paps does look extremely happy but he also could be the ultimate professional, he plays with his heart on his sleeve.

We will see at the end of the year

Back