Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Should rename this thread to 'Should of God'. Pretty apt title really. It's a bit like the Essendon game, Swans just turned the game around and all the luck went their way as Adelaide slowed to a crawl and tried to hold on to the game.
Don't forget Paps is also King of the Smother :)

Lord Papley is my favorite swans player now, absolutley love the way this kid goes about it. He will be a one club player too.
Yep completely agree, he's pretty close to my favourite now too. I love watching him go about it and his enthusiasm is contagious! He plays with such footy smarts, its crazy that he went through to the rookie draft. I will miss him this week.

elastic

Cometh the moment
Jul 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Just goes to show how good his goal was last week to win the game when he was playing under significant duress with his knee injury. What a little champ. Looking forward to watching him play in finals this year. Reckon he's going to make up for his quiet GF.

big_bazza

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2005
Tas
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
sydney swans
Just thought id pop back in an say that Tommy has been the best small forward in the comp for the last half of the season, i quite often forget hes only a second year player. Hes probably in the top 10 players of his draft year, and he was picked as a rookie.

If McGlynn wasnt injured at the start of last year i wonder how different things would be, im sure he would have eventually cracked into the seniors but its certainly fast tracked his development.

Ahhhh what a guy, get well soon brother Tommy and get yourself up and about for the first final.

Just thought id pop back in an say that Tommy has been the best small forward in the comp for the last half of the season, i quite often forget hes only a second year player. Hes probably in the top 10 players of his draft year, and he was picked as a rookie.

If McGlynn wasnt injured at the start of last year i wonder how different things would be, im sure he would have eventually cracked into the seniors but its certainly fast tracked his development.

Ahhhh what a guy, get well soon brother Tommy and get yourself up and about for the first final.

Papley debuted in Round 1 last year.

Back