Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't post much, usually content to read the posts, but I had to say something about Papley's performance this year. When I read about his recruitment and then his family history with the swans I was really taken by the romance of it all. It was like a fairytale dream come to life. I've kept a particular eye on his performance over the years, always wanting him to excel because what a great story!
His performance this year has gone up another level and one day, I hope we'll talk about him like we talk of Goodes or Skilton. Fanciful thinking perhaps, but better to aim high than to not dream at all.

I’m absolutely loving his work this year. I remember when he was first pushing for a spot he was seen as competing for the same kind of role that Ben McGlynn, but without being disrespectful, he has proven himself to be a much better small forward than McGlynn ever was. Despite being more talented, he has the same level of tenacity/hunger/whatever you want to call it and it’s an absolutely winning combination. Wouldn’t be surprised to see both his disposals and goals increase over the next few seasons!

I don't post much, usually content to read the posts, but I had to say something about Papley's performance this year. When I read about his recruitment and then his family history with the swans I was really taken by the romance of it all. It was like a fairytale dream come to life. I've kept a particular eye on his performance over the years, always wanting him to excel because what a great story!
His performance this year has gone up another level and one day, I hope we'll talk about him like we talk of Goodes or Skilton. Fanciful thinking perhaps, but better to aim high than to not dream at all.
You should post more often

Starting to sweat about him remaining a swan beyond his contract..he will have 17 clubs sniffing around

if it happens so be it, just dont low ball him when its time

he gives the preverbial 110% every week, love his workrate and commitment thats all we can ask

Really becoming skipper material, although he can get a bit hungry around goals

yeah not sure the small forward mid is the skipper type normally, but who knows

always sort of expected heeney or mills end up skipper, maybe Jones,. so yeah maybe papley

who knows

do you reckon they would let me lead the team out

As long as the boys back you 100% to give 110% and you stick to the structures and just play your role 110% and do the one percenters and have a crack. I don’t see why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longmire on SEN
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/06/23/swans-coach-responds-to-papley-trade-rumours
Swans coach John Longmire was full of praise for him.
“He’s contracted until the end of next year and he’s a very good young player and we’re not getting caught up in the chatter,” he said.
“He’s loving his footy, he’s in our leadership group, he’s a beauty.
“He’d be a very important part of the future of the Sydney Swans and a very good young player.”

If and when Tom decides to ask for a trade, I hope we do a Geelong and stick to our guns for a bloody good pick. If we don't get a top 10 pick then no deal. We keep Tom for another 12 month's and bank ourselves in to get him to change his mind and stay. Has done Geelong no harm. Their man is even better than last year.

I am rather perplexed by the Papley talk in the media, it's very Luke Parker from last year.

Contracted for another year, playing well, from the outside looks to love the club and has made no noise what so ever about returning to Melbourne.

As with the Longmire story, it just doesn't make much sense and contrary to what information is available publicly.

Longmire on SEN
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/06/23/swans-coach-responds-to-papley-trade-rumours
Swans coach John Longmire was full of praise for him.
“He’s contracted until the end of next year and he’s a very good young player and we’re not getting caught up in the chatter,” he said.
“He’s loving his footy, he’s in our leadership group, he’s a beauty.
“He’d be a very important part of the future of the Sydney Swans and a very good young player.”

Based on what Longmire says to the media regarding players and coaches, you can pretty much take it to the bank that he will be playing for the Swans next year.

Just remains to be seen whether a deal can be done this year to extend or if we are going to have to go through 6 to 12 months of stories next year.

I am rather perplexed by the Papley talk in the media, it's very Luke Parker from last year.

Contracted for another year, playing well, from the outside looks to love the club and has made no noise what so ever about returning to Melbourne.

As with the Longmire story, it just doesn't make much sense and contrary to what information is available publicly.

Vultures circling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back