Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, I know I'm not in their situation but I can't believe these people whinge so much about having to live in Sydney and be paid ridiculous amounts of money. Treat it as a fun time in your life and then move back to Melbourne when you retire in your early 30s which is still really, really young.

I'm slightly more sympathetic when kids are in the picture because I know how hard it is to raise children and having family close by is a huge help. But that's not the case here.
Couldn't agree more. When I was 23 the more time I spent away from family the better. Eastern suburbs Sydney is a beautiful spot for a young person to live.

Couldn't agree more. When I was 23 the more time I spent away from family the better. Eastern suburbs Sydney is a beautiful spot for a young person to live.
Yep, jumped on a plane with limited plans and just went with it. Can also confirm the eastern suburbs are great fun going to school there back in the day.

Not a big fan of holding players hostage...just going to go through this again in 12 months...unlikely we get an offer of pick 9 for him next year
It was Papley for 9 but Carlton wanted 25 back.

That values Papley at pick 27.

Think about. Do you or us think that that is real value.

I dont think so.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Not a big fan of holding players hostage...just going to go through this again in 12 months...unlikely we get an offer of pick 9 for him next year
He’s not being held hostage, he can walk away any time he likes. He’ll just remain contracted to Sydney.

Because odds are he is going to request another trade next year.. if he gets injured or form drops his value will plummet.... i would have taken 9 and had to bites of the cherry in the top 10
He will still be contracted for a further 3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade Mills? Lol ffs this place is bloody hysterical.

Yeah Mills sorry mate, an injured guy who hasn’t played in 18 months sat down with Harley so you’ll need to pack your bags.

What a precedent that would set. Forcing academy players who have shown talent out the door while they’re contracted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct me if i'm wrong, but when we first drafted Hanners, didn't he used to train a couple of days in Melbourne before flying up for meetings or matches (this was to accommodate his final year at school). Perhaps a similar arrangement for Papley?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but when we first drafted Hanners, didn't he used to train a couple of days in Melbourne before flying up for meetings or matches (this was to accommodate his final year at school). Perhaps a similar arrangement for Papley?
Wasn’t he still at school though?

Edit: sorry, just read your post properly this time and saw you’d already said that!

Last edited:
Wasn’t he still at school though?

“He was living in Melbourne, still going to school, flying up and playing AFL football and to be able to do that and get to his 200 games so quickly is amazing. He’s been able to get there really fast – a young 200-game player.

There you go. Maybe it could work for Papley.

“He was living in Melbourne, still going to school, flying up and playing AFL football and to be able to do that and get to his 200 games so quickly is amazing. He’s been able to get there really fast – a young 200-game player.

There you go. Maybe it could work for Papley.
We’re not Sydney Swans circa 1982 whereby players had to relocate so were given the option of living in Sydney or Melbourne. Hannebery was a kid, studying year 12 and Papley is a grown man. He wants out of Sydney then he can sit on his arse for 12 months in Melbourne and watch Channel 504

Trade Mills? Lol ffs this place is bloody hysterical.

Yeah Mills sorry mate, an injured guy who hasn’t played in 18 months sat down with Harley so you’ll need to pack your bags.

What a precedent that would set. Forcing academy players who have shown talent out the door while they’re contracted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way would I trade Mills but don't get to carried away with the supposed Academy talent just yet. When Heeney or Mills become the Stars they were touted to be then we can get excited about what we are producing. As yet that has not happened but having said that does not mean it won't.

We’re not Sydney Swans circa 1982 whereby players had to relocate so were given the option of living in Sydney or Melbourne. Hannebery was a kid, studying year 12 and Papley is a grown man. He wants out of Sydney then he can sit on his arse for 12 months in Melbourne and watch Channel 504

You're right Mick, we're 1982 swans anymore. Part of me agrees with you in that he should just suck it up and get on with it, but the reality of the situation is that he seems to be struggling. We want him to be happy and continue to play good footy, and if allowing him to stay a few extra days a week in Melbourne does that, then they should consider it.

You're right Mick, we're 1982 swans anymore. Part of me agrees with you in that he should just suck it up and get on with it, but the reality of the situation is that he seems to be struggling. We want him to be happy and continue to play good footy, and if allowing him to stay a few extra days a week in Melbourne does that, then they should consider it.
He plays AFL football for the Sydney Swans, they are based in Sydney. All for total support in Sydney and that’s what he’ll get...he can cry over his lost contract opportunity for a further 12 months until a suitable trade offer is provided.

He plays AFL football for the Sydney Swans, they are based in Sydney. All for total support in Sydney and that’s what he’ll get...he can cry over his lost contract opportunity for a further 12 months until a suitable trade offer is provided.

Yeah, if in the end, it was all about missing out on a pay rise, then he can suck it up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back