Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right Mick, we're 1982 swans anymore. Part of me agrees with you in that he should just suck it up and get on with it, but the reality of the situation is that he seems to be struggling. We want him to be happy and continue to play good footy, and if allowing him to stay a few extra days a week in Melbourne does that, then they should consider it.

he is welcome to retire and step away from afl if life is that bad

Im ready to move Horse on, BUT Papley signed this contract when Horse was coach, so it must be something recent

Needs to put the big boy pants on and sort it out, whatever problems he has at the club

Again if its serious mental health etc etc and he needs time away from the game, do it, whatever you need to do.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Im ready to move Horse on, BUT Papley signed this contract when Horse was coach, so it must be something recent

Needs to put the big boy pants on and sort it out, whatever problems he has at the club

Again if its serious mental health etc etc and he needs time away from the game, do it, whatever you need to do.
Nothing to do with mental health.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Nothing to do with mental health.
Then as others suggested, he can put his big boy pants on and get on with being a professional footballer getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Papley is sour because he had apparently already packed and moved back to Melbourne while holidaying in Europe at the same time. So you would be sour if you were in two places at once and then had to head back to Sydney to get paid hundreds of thousands to play football. First world issues that face Papley.

Then as others suggested, he can put his big boy pants on and get on with being a professional footballer getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars
I am not a huge fan of my boss but I get up every day and trundle on in and do my best.

Welcome to life Tom.

As a plumber you are going to be dealing with a lot of s**t as well.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I don't see much to go on here. bedford has had some scoops but he's also had some fizzers.

I'll assume Papley will turn up to the club in good faith and be a professional until he proves otherwise. Just because he wanted out doesn't mean a good working relationship can't be salvaged. And if he wants out again in 12 months, fine, he can bugger off then.

I don't see much to go on here. bedford has had some scoops but he's also had some fizzers.

I'll assume Papley will turn up to the club in good faith and be a professional until he proves otherwise. Just because he wanted out doesn't mean a good working relationship can't be salvaged. And if he wants out again in 12 months, fine, he can bugger off then.
For pick 7 :p

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Was Callum Mills there?

Perhaps leadership group get an exemption haha
I'd be very surprised if he stays in the leadership group. Lack of commitment to the club should make you ineligible for leadership

I'd be very surprised if he stays in the leadership group. Lack of commitment to the club should make you ineligible for leadership
We reconfirmed O'Keefe in the leadership group right after he requested a trade. We could do the same with Papley so everyone moves on.

Then again, O'Keefe had been a champion of the Swans for a decade at the time, while Papley has played a couple of dozen good games as a small forward. I'm fine with them being treated differently

Back