Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
We reconfirmed O'Keefe in the leadership group right after he requested a trade. We could do the same with Papley so everyone moves on.

Then again, O'Keefe had been a champion of the Swans for a decade at the time, while Papley has played a couple of dozen good games as a small forward. I'm fine with them being treated differently

True but okeefe recommitted to the club and seemed far more mature/professional that Papley imo. Papley is coming across as a brat having a tantrum.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Was Heeney drafted young and Papley drafted old?
Papley came in through the Rookie Draft and debuted in 2016 as a 19 year old.

Heeney came in through the National Draft and debuted in 2015 as an 18 year old.

So they're the same age but Heeney has been in the system one extra year.

Last edited:

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
True but okeefe recommitted to the club and seemed far more mature/professional that Papley imo. Papley is coming across as a brat having a tantrum.
What makes you say that? I haven't seen any tantrums from Papley in the press or otherwise.

We expect players to be 100% loyal to the club that we love but it's not like that in the real world. I'm disappointed that Papley wanted out because I really like him as a player but there's nothing to say he won't act like a professional and still give his best on and off the field.

We're not privy to his motivations. I've seen his girlfriend, money and Horse all being given as reasons.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
It's called Player Welfare. Dennis Carroll is the head of development with responsibility for this. Telling people to "pull.up.their big boy pants" solves absolutely nothing.
I meant the fans take it very personally, like it's a partner cheating on us. Obviously staying at the Swans was not his first choice but there's nothing to say he won't still have a great year. Like you mentioned there's numerous player welfare mechanisms and he seems popular at the club.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
When has HE ever commented in public he wants out
He hasn't but he very clearly didn't want to be at the swans. Trying to get out of a contract he signed not so long ago with 4 years remaining tells me everything i need to know about his commitment to the club. Imo that's not the acts of a leader of the club. Leaders are fully committed. In my book the most important part of leadership is leading by example, do as I do. Attempting to break a 4 year contract is not leading by example and had we let him go we as a club are not setting the right example to the rest of the playing group. I hope he comes back and has a great year and commits to the club again. If he shows true commitment to the club again next year then reinstate him to the leadership group the following year, but he has lost that privileged for the next 12 months imo.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
What makes you say that? I haven't seen any tantrums from Papley in the press or otherwise.

We expect players to be 100% loyal to the club that we love but it's not like that in the real world. I'm disappointed that Papley wanted out because I really like him as a player but there's nothing to say he won't act like a professional and still give his best on and off the field.

We're not privy to his motivations. I've seen his girlfriend, money and Horse all being given as reasons.
Certainly nothing publicly but his actions as a leader of the club and all the various reasons given for him wanting out tells me he doesn't want to announce the real reason he wants out. Have heard every excus under the sun except for money and imo that's exactly why he wants out. Just not a professional approach to any of it. If your wanting to break a 4 year contract then you need to have a very good reason and you need to come straight out with it from the start and you need to stick with it, not change your storey every week. Homesickness, doesn't like who he lives with, feels isolated, has a Vic gf, has a problem with horse. Too many excuses.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
He hasn't but he very clearly didn't want to be at the swans. Trying to get out of a contract he signed not so long ago with 4 years remaining tells me everything i need to know about his commitment to the club. Imo that's not the acts of a leader of the club. Leaders are fully committed. In my book the most important part of leadership is leading by example, do as I do. Attempting to break a 4 year contract is not leading by example and had we let him go we as a club are not setting the right example to the rest of the playing group. I hope he comes back and has a great year and commits to the club again. If he shows true commitment to the club again next year then reinstate him to the leadership group the following year, but he has lost that privileged for the next 12 months imo.
imo !

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Papley isn’t coming across as anything, because he hasn’t said or done anything. Absolutely everything has been conjecture. The one thing we know is that he asked for a trade. That’s it.

People sticking the boot in over this are, in my humble opinion, crazy. If he half-asses it next year or starts bagging the club, fine. But until now, all he’s done is made a professional enquiry that didn’t get actioned. That’s it.

This ******* disloyalty bullshit is insane. And if he was getting offered several hundred thousand dollars more at Carlton then he’d be insane not to ask for a trade. Each and every one of you would take that in his position, and if you wouldn’t, you are sufficiently loaded that you don’t have a right to judge anyway.

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
Papley is a fav of mine. Early, not just lately. Mainly because his heritage family history and I admire blokes who are rookied and fight there way into the top 22. (Kirk in the beginning 3 tries to get there was the same)

He had a sensational year but was forced toshine when Buddy was out to be a target, almost a go to KP forward at times.
Carlton obviously had the need (taking fill in Betts) so likely they made the advances (just another Guess)
Then Swans are surprised that Daniher wants out now (immediately) so AND AS STATED clearly the option of move/trade was specifically linked. No desperation it seems???

Unsupported rumours about the head space etc are just that (BS!). He was quoted on record as "I will be professional"
If truly must leave he MUST maintain his value. Reset for 2020 and all is back to normal.

Every man alive has women's problems at some time, sometimes an obsession.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Cmon on Bedford, spill the beans, whats the issue with Horse?

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
When Horse says ‘jump’, Tom replies ‘how high?’.

Typical Full Forward picking on ‘the little fella’!

I think it (his) was a legitimate serious question!

But, even so it has worked he has jumped > higher and higher> that's what a quality coach does and gets paid to do!

Had you pegged as having a 'little fella' syndrome! thks;)

Back