Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks go to Daniel Andrews too for making Victoria the least attractive place on earth , why would you want a trade there
His goal was to leave a legacy.....

I hope they upgraded Toms contract.

This is a significant re-signing for us right now. It sends a message to the players at the club, it speaks highly of Tom as well. Tom Papley is the kind of player you build a club around. He epitomises competitiveness, regardless of his performances he uses up every ounce of fuel in the tank and is committed to trying to win, and he speaks from the heart....he isn't worried about talking the bs talk we get from so many.

Now, if history serves us well, means we can expect Paps to be a premiership player in the near future.

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
This. Personally think clubs should be banned from courting contracted players. If a player truly wants out and a trade can be worked out to the satisfaction of all parties involved, that's a different story, but as long as Papley is under contract, other clubs can fu** off IMO.

really dont understand this. everyone else in the economy organises their next job while still employed. People are entitled to maximise their earnings and say to the employer I'm worth 600,000 pay me that and then the employer can make the decision whether they want that or they dont.

i hope papley stays and we pay him what he is absolutely entitled to and he stays with us and we are all happy.

really dont understand this. everyone else in the economy organises their next job while still employed. People are entitled to maximise their earnings and say to the employer I'm worth 600,000 pay me that and then the employer can make the decision whether they want that or they dont.

i hope papley stays and we pay him what he is absolutely entitled to and he stays with us and we are all happy.
Maybe not when they still have 3 years of the current contract to play out....

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Should be easier to give him a pay rise once Lance is done. Maybe he thinks we can grab a flag in the next 2 or 3 years and then get a good pay rise too

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I wonder if they amended his deal, seems stange that he commits now. Unless they just wanted a good news story for fans to hang their hats on at the end of a poor season, like buddy last year

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
That is a massive endorsement as a coach to have one of your players say you are a major reason they want to be there.
Things changed . Horse is a good person, might not agree with coaching at times , but this is great stuff.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I guess we have to balance up what is more likely: Whether after years of not liking Horse, Papley suddenly changed his mind about him this year (can definitely happen and the trade attempt may have been a catalyst) or yet another rumour of Horse not being liked by players (which is contradicted by almost every reliable source of information about him) is bullshit.

I guess we have to balance up what is more likely: Whether after years of not liking Horse, Papley suddenly changed his mind about him this year (can definitely happen and the trade attempt may have been a catalyst) or yet another rumour of Horse not being liked by players (which is contradicted by almost every reliable source of information about him) is bullshit.

was there an iffy rumour re papley and horse? thought it was all family

Back