Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Tom, the only Swan named in the All Australian squad

I wonder if that's for all.

First to fourth-year players will return to training on Monday December 7 for a two-week block of training, while all other players will resume training on Wednesday January 6, 2021.

Appears that he misses no training and will return with the senior players who are in their 5th plus season

Thanks Tom

Last edited:
Seriously admire how professional this man is. He’s a larrikin at times but he seems loyal and even though he couldn't get to Melbourne as he wanted at the time he still never looked like screwing the club or making things difficult for us.

Obviously has a really good relationship with his teammates, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premiering at 7:30pm tonight, Tom Papley joins Dyl for this week's episode of Dyl and Friends, and exclusively details his reasons behind his trade request to Carlton in 2019, and why he loves the Swans so much in extending his contract.

Premiering at 7:30pm tonight, Tom Papley joins Dyl for this week's episode of Dyl and Friends, and exclusively details his reasons behind his trade request to Carlton in 2019, and why he loves the Swans so much in extending his contract.

Its very surprising that we held firm on him considering the circumstances as we are a very player welfare first club.

Its very surprising that we held firm on him considering the circumstances as we are a very player welfare first club.
I think we are. I'll bet we moved heaven and earth to make things easier for Tom without letting him go. I think he's very grateful. Things have picked up in the family and in his life in general. With Aliir gone he'll need a new drinking buddy but that's how it goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom in 2020 round 1 vs. Adelaide - no crowd
Papley 2020 round 1 no crowd.jpg

Tom in 2021 round 1 vs. Brisbane - I missed you all - great to get so close to the fans :D
papley-2021_03-fence-jpg.1082773

Attachments

• Papley 2021_03 fence.jpg
    Papley 2021_03 fence.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 295
Tom interview

Dare I say it. Gulden will be better.
This week will be interesting. The game against Brisbane suited Gulden perfectly. He had no one on him for most of the game, and the fact the brisbane defenders sagged back suited his lead into space for the short kick. He also had Ah Chee who was terrible.

The Crows will be paying him more respect, will have a close tag on him to stop the short lead. Having said that he is a remarkable talent and may dominate anyway.

I also predict the next week Richmond will play dirty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back