Delisted #11: Will "Meatball" Snelling - Delisted 25/10

11 - snelling.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2023 (previously delisted)
My Boy Draft 2023: Claim here

Last edited:
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Having reflected a fair bit recently, I do like what Snelling brings to the side, connects the mids and forwards really well.

My gripe for lack better words is that he shouldn’t be our 3rd best player this year. No disrespect to the guy but him finishing third shows how far the list still needs to grow to go from fringe 8 to top 4 contenders.

As mentioned, my earlier comments were a bit ott, but stand by my comments that he shouldn’t be rewarded with a top 3 BnF placing if we are to seriously make inroads to number 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Having reflected a fair bit recently, I do like what Snelling brings to the side, connects the mids and forwards really well.

My gripe for lack better words is that he shouldn’t be our 3rd best player this year. No disrespect to the guy but him finishing third shows how far the list still needs to grow to go from fringe 8 to top 4 contenders.

As mentioned, my earlier comments were a bit ott, but stand by my comments that he shouldn’t be rewarded with a top 3 BnF placing if we are to seriously make inroads to number 17.

It’s more to do with our B&F system then Snelling being anywhere near our 3rd best player though.

In a system where every player receives votes players who front up and play their role each week are going to be overvalued.

I'll pass it on to the coaches

eorl

Senior List
Aug 24, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon

I'd say if you looked at the number of votes per games played it might give a fair representation of how each player is viewed. The "better" players who may have gotten above him (Andy, Stinger, Shiel, Draper, Langers) all missed large parts of the season. Snelling would still be up there I'm sure but maybe not 3rd.

I'd say if you looked at the number of votes per games played it might give a fair representation of how each player is viewed. The "better" players who may have gotten above him (Andy, Stinger, Shiel, Draper, Langers) all missed large parts of the season. Snelling would still be up there I'm sure but maybe not 3rd.

Snelling actually had the second most votes per game of the top 10. Langers and Stringer both higher than Parish on that metric too.

4 members on the selection committee (Rutten, Cara, Gia, Jordan), plus up to 5 votes for demonstrating key attributes, so a maximum of 25 votes per game:

1. Merrett played 23 games, average of 18.26 votes per game
5. Parish played 23 games, average of 14.74 votes per game
2. Snelling played 20 games, average of 15.75 votes per game
6. Ridley played 22 games, average of 14.05 votes per game
3. Stringer played 19 games, average of 15.05 votes per game
7. Laverde played 23 games, average of 12.08 votes per game
4. Langford played 17 games, average of 14.88 votes per game
10. Hind played 22 games, average of 10.33 votes per game
8. Heppell played 19 games, average of 11.47 votes per game
9. McDonald-Tipungwuti played 20 games, average of 10.7 votes per game

Total games includes finals and games listed as sub.

Also;
Merrett pick 26, 2013 National Draft
Parish pick 5, 2015 National Draft
Snelling pick 7, 2019 Mid-Season Draft, originally pick 10, 2015 Rookie Draft
Ridley pick 22, 2016 National Draft
Stringer traded end of 2017 for pick 25 + pick 30, originally pick 5, 2012 National Draft
Laverde pick 20, 2014 National Draft
Langford pick 17, 2014 National Draft
Hind traded 2020 for 67 and 74, originally pick 54, 2019 National Draft
Heppell pick 8, 2010 National Draft
McDonald-Tipungwuti pick 22, 2015 Rookie Draft

The calculation is fine. It is not about just rating the best player. Snelling is not a great player. He plays his role so the great players can be great and then he chips in every now and then with his contribution. Without players like Snelling the good players do not get to do what they do. These blokes deserves just as much reward for doing what the coaches ask week in and week out.
What are the 5 Bomber attributes they use to calculate it?

He has been upgraded to the senior list, confirmed in this video by Rob Forster-Knight as part of introducing the draftees to the playing group

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Will Snelling breaks the 20+ year stranglehold the first initial D has had on the No. 11.

The last Essendon player to wear the No. 11 whose first initial didn't start with a D was Paul Hills in 1996.

I think it's great to see him in the #11 because it's a reflection that he's gone form being a depth option we picked up in the MSD to a solid contributor that deservingly finished 3rd in our BnF last year. We talk about guys like Parish & Ridley progressing but Senlling has comparatively flown under the radar while making improvements as good as anybody.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it's great to see him in the #11 because it's a reflection that he's gone form being a depth option we picked up in the MSD to a solid contributor that deservingly finished 3rd in our BnF last year. We talk about guys like Parish & Ridley progressing but Senlling has comparatively flown under the radar while making improvements as good as anybody.
Love him in the 40 though, slightly disappointed

For those who know, is it fair to say Snello was a victim of Hinkley's focus on old players? ...or just Rozee, Butters Duursma, Amon so couldn't break in.
Well considering he was cut before the first three were on the list I doubt it's that.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
For those who know, is it fair to say Snello was a victim of Hinkley's focus on old players? ...or just Rozee, Butters Duursma, Amon so couldn't break in.

I think Snelling has developed a new level of professionalism since his Port delisting which saw his SANFL form rewarded with the mid season pickup and he's come on big time since. He looked over weight in his only seniors game for Port in 2016.

At Port, for a forward line spot he was behind players like Neade, Monfries, Wingard, Robbie Gray. He was never really fit enough to be considered for an AFL midfield role but was behind players like Boak, Ebert, Wines, Polec. They also had a heap of role players he was always behind like Matt White, Sam Gray, Aaron Young etc, presumably due to flexibility or, in the case of White, x-factor (pace in this case).

It's impossible to knock him based on his time at Essendon though. He was thrown a career life line and he's grabbed it, more than happy to play his role in the team where much of his work goes unnoticed by many but not to those that matter.

I think he got pushed out because others where doing better things at the time and he was the bloke who got cut. To his credit he kept improving himself and his game and is now making the best of a second shot. I have always been a fan as he understands how to play the team roles that are needed so the A grade players can do their thing.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I think Snelling has developed a new level of professionalism since his Port delisting which saw his SANFL form rewarded with the mid season pickup and he's come on big time since. He looked over weight in his only seniors game for Port in 2016.

At Port, for a forward line spot he was behind players like Neade, Monfries, Wingard, Robbie Gray. He was never really fit enough to be considered for an AFL midfield role but was behind players like Boak, Ebert, Wines, Polec. They also had a heap of role players he was always behind like Matt White, Sam Gray, Aaron Young etc, presumably due to flexibility or, in the case of White, x-factor (pace in this case).

It's impossible to knock him based on his time at Essendon though. He was thrown a career life line and he's grabbed it, more than happy to play his role in the team where much of his work goes unnoticed by many but not to those that matter.
I think he got pushed out because others where doing better things at the time and he was the bloke who got cut. To his credit he kept improving himself and his game and is now making the best of a second shot. I have always been a fan as he understands how to play the team roles that are needed so the A grade players can do their thing.
I've become a huge Snelling fan too. He's playing like he belongs in the team. His composure and vision last year was awesome, always seems to be able to find a target and can find the goals as well. One of those Dodoro gems.

Bump. According to the team selection he has a calf injury and that's why he isn't playing round 1

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Bump. According to the team selection he has a calf injury and that's why he isn't playing round 1

Weird he isn't on the injury list, must've happened late.

We really missed his work ethic in high forward/midfield, he has been a crucial cog in our improvement.

Hopefully he's not out too long, Dev is not capable of replacing Will's output.

Back