Radio 1116 SEN 2019 Lineup

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Both SEN and 3AW are using all their 'decent' presenters for the cricket, Far'k me dead, 3aw used to have summer fill-ins such as Dean Jones and Derwayne, who are both ok, but now we've got Shane "Plonker" McInnes and Michael "I've-Never-Done-Any-Media-In-My-Life" Barlow. Barlow might turn out ok, but I'd rather have a former Test player.
I just noticed on 3AW's podcast page that Brendan Goddard did the last few shows, so I might have a listen, but it'll be tough putting up with McInnes's fake, plonker bullshit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Knicks // NY Giants
Both SEN and 3AW are using all their 'decent' presenters for the cricket, Far'k me dead, 3aw used to have summer fill-ins such as Dean Jones and Derwayne, who are both ok, but now we've got Shane "Plonker" McInnes and Michael "I've-Never-Done-Any-Media-In-My-Life" Barlow. Barlow might turn out ok, but I'd rather have a former Test player.
I just noticed on 3AW's podcast page that Brendan Goddard did the last few shows, so I might have a listen, but it'll be tough putting up with McInnes's fake, plonker bullshit
Wait... they have ex Docker and Sun Michael Barlow commentating cricket?

Saintly Viewed

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know it’s been heavily mentioned but SEN during the cricket coverage does way too much commentator acknowledging sponsors.

Gerard is by far the worst. Pretty much every second ball he mentions a sponsor.
Becomes very grating in my view.

damochandler

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
I know it’s been heavily mentioned but SEN during the cricket coverage does way too much commentator acknowledging sponsors.

Gerard is by far the worst. Pretty much every second ball he mentions a sponsor.
Becomes very grating in my view.
Like the afl. Every goal and mark is a Chisholm gaiman goal or mark of the day

bedford

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC,PMFC.
On the way back from holidays on Sunday I had to listen to the ABC , as soon as I could receive SEN I turned it over and it was so much better. The one I don't like is the Australian journo in Peter Lalor , he is boring and seems to be typical of that paper , no wonder no one reads it . Back to the ABC coverage , Jim Maxwell is the most self centered commentator I've ever heard , also said the SCG is the best ground in Australia.

peternorth

Facts Machine
AFL Club
Richmond
Moderator #6,557
On the way back from holidays on Sunday I had to listen to the ABC , as soon as I could receive SEN I turned it over and it was so much better. The one I don't like is the Australian journo in Peter Lalor , he is boring and seems to be typical of that paper , no wonder no one reads it . Back to the ABC coverage , Jim Maxwell is the most self centered commentator I've ever heard , also said the SCG is the best ground in Australia.
I like jim, and thought ill listen to his interview on cricket unlimited podcast. It was all about sydney sydney sydney, easts cricket club, sydney, nsw, sydney, nsw blues. the hosts are also from sydney and there was no shortage of nsw and sydney bias there either.

ABC was good when stacky, lane, KOK, mitchell. Enjoyed it. Perhaps it was because it was the only station that broadcast cricket then. But it was synonymous with summer. I recall fondly the radio punctuating the air as we were playing backyard cricket with indians, sri lankans, chinese, vietnamese and a south african.

Saintly Viewed

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jim Maxwell seemed a bit of a defender of the late Peter Roebuck.
That was a very murky business.

Mr X

Club Legend
AFL Club
Geelong
Flat end to the first part of summer. I do feel for the commentary teams for the first time in a generation having to talk through sustained poor Australian performance at home.
To add insult to injury, weather has now played a part to really prolong things. Must be a real challenge to fill in time at this stage.
Having listened to ABC and SEN over this test - it is a bit of pick your poison. ABC commentary is flat out shocking this summer. No idea who was commentating, but was both monotone and consistently critical and negative. While the criticism may be accurate and deserved, saying the same thing twice an over wears thin.
The question is, does that wear more thin than everything being bought to me by Autobarn and constant reminders about getting my car checked? Not sure.
Waiting for text messages from listeners to be bought to me by Autobarn rather than boundaries. Surprised it has not descended to that over the last couple of days!

Mr X

Club Legend
AFL Club
Geelong
Is it just me, or to Merv Hughes and Spud sound really similar.

Merv is doing ads for someone at the moment on SEN, every time I hear the start, I think it is for Spuds mid life crisis and Harley Heaven!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bedford

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC,PMFC.
I like jim, and thought ill listen to his interview on cricket unlimited podcast. It was all about sydney sydney sydney, easts cricket club, sydney, nsw, sydney, nsw blues. the hosts are also from sydney and there was no shortage of nsw and sydney bias there either.

ABC was good when stacky, lane, KOK, mitchell. Enjoyed it. Perhaps it was because it was the only station that broadcast cricket then. But it was synonymous with summer. I recall fondly the radio punctuating the air as we were playing backyard cricket with indians, sri lankans, chinese, vietnamese and a south african.
Exactly it was all NSW , turned me straight over as soon as I could.

Mr X

Club Legend
AFL Club
Geelong
SEN's NFL coverage is awful. Listened this morning as I could not watch the game. I think I heard them claim every play covered, what a load of crap.

In the final 6 minutes of the game - they missed an entire possession (it was 3 and out) from Chicago through commercials and the voice over guy giving a bland overview of Chicago's playoff history?? Just take the feed of the game that is being played, it was a close game in the stretch!

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton

that would've been a heck of a game!

peternorth

Facts Machine
AFL Club
Richmond
Moderator #6,565
Jim Maxwell seemed a bit of a defender of the late Peter Roebuck.
That was a very murky business.
Disgusting what transpired.

Exactly it was all NSW , turned me straight over as soon as I could.
I was referring to the podcast. But i also understand that maxwell especially during the sydney test is all nsw/sydney. even worse when lawson joins him. generally sports media in australia is so sydney centric it's numbing. foxsports basketball, nrl (obviously) and footy all sydney sydney sydney.

that would've been a heck of a game!
It was the united nations of backyard cricket (well street cricket)

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Did they talk about their shit weather? :p :D Someone joked on Macquarie that Sydney should lose their Test because, compared to our other cities, they've lost many more full days to rain. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like 24 days for Sydney, less than half of that for Melbourne, 8 or 9 for Brisbane, I think 2 for Perth and none for Adelaide. Mmmm, trivia

Last edited:

peternorth

Facts Machine
AFL Club
Richmond
Moderator #6,575
Did they talk about their shit weather? :p :D Someone joked on Macquarie that Sydney should lose their Test because, compared to our other cities, they've had many more full days lost to rain. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like 24 days for Sydney, less than half of that for Melbourne, 8 or 9 for Brisbane, I think 2 for Perth and none for Adelaide. Mmmm, trivia
im sure they'd gloss over that! lol!

i dont mind MSR when they have two hosts, one melb one syd cause they bounce off each other with afl - nrl stuff. I think they dumb it down when explaining aspects of each code to each other which only helps educate the masses. but when its two sydney people its insufferable. I imagine they'd be unimpressed if it were 2 Vics.

unfortunately media is nsw controlled which means any multi state or national sports news service focusses on nrl first, then sydney swans, then all other sydney teams

Top Bottom