pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man Utd, Atlanta Hawks
Latest ratings are out. An increase overall, up to 3.3, from 2.9. Biggest improvement were for Watson and Lyon, rising to 4.0 from 3.4, Whateley rising to 3.5 from 3.0 and weekends rising to 3.1 from 2.2. Maher and KB and Doc still far too low (3.0 and 2.9). The drive numbers must be concerning for the station, they are consistently low. I think that the drop in the drive ratings is listeners who have switched to Ox and Allen, who are rating 1.2 (best ratings of all programs comfortably for MSR).

Melbourne-Survey-3.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
Does that consider/take into account digital listening these days or is that done by a different measure or separately?

Not disputing they have a low listenership overall, but if it is measured by only "traditional" wireless means, I wonder if that medium is still even in the majority of radio listening?

As mentioned in this thread before - I highly doubt any of Hutchy's commercial deals are based or built of this measure.

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Something i think the drive show is doing well is the hour between 5pm and 6pm every Monday, where they speak to experts from SA, WA, NSW and Qld. It allows for a better insight into what's happening with the clubs in those states.
As others have said, KB is famous for doing that. I agree its great, provides insight from afar, and also on other sports. Its enlightening and broadens listeners minds.

SEN seriously don't need to have a news-break every half-hour during the day. It's a complete waste of our time.

I know it gives them time to waste and throw more ads in, but just scrap it and keep it to the hour.
On the flip side it fills in time, takes up time, sometimes used for inane topics or meaningless footy discussion. For example terry wallace golf scores for teams. Woeful, absolitely woeful.

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
So this was discussed very briefly this morning

“You won’t be surprised to know I don’t look at him as a shining light on how I should act. That’s his call and so be it."

lyon rebutted with "he should note that he's talking about my coaching career". obviously not referring to, or wanting reference to, off field, non footy, relationship matters.

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Latest ratings are out. An increase overall, up to 3.3, from 2.9. Biggest improvement were for Watson and Lyon, rising to 4.0 from 3.4, Whateley rising to 3.5 from 3.0 and weekends rising to 3.1 from 2.2. Maher and KB and Doc still far too low (3.0 and 2.9). The drive numbers must be concerning for the station, they are consistently low. I think that the drop in the drive ratings is listeners who have switched to Ox and Allen, who are rating 1.2 (best ratings of all programs comfortably for MSR).

View attachment 686591
Dab yes. Internet no.

But that's saying SEN gets more digital listeners than other listeners which I doubt.

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
The dunderheads were out in force this morning on Gerard's show.

Firstly, some fool has to drag down the fight for women by crapping on about how journalists should watch their wording in light of Carlton now having to find a coach. You can't use phrases like saying "best man for the job". There's lots of girls out there, and you don't want girls to get the wrong impression or anything.

Then two idiots follow up with the ridiculous suggestions of Ange Postecoglou, then Craig Bellamy, for Carlton coach.

FMD

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
The dunderheads were out in force this morning on Gerard's show.

Firstly, some fool has to drag down the fight for women by crapping on about how journalists should watch their wording in light of Carlton now having to find a coach. You can't use phrases like saying "best man for the job". There's lots of girls out there, and you don't want girls to get the wrong impression or anything.

Then two idiots follow up with the ridiculous suggestions of Ange Postecoglou, then Craig Bellamy, for Carlton coach.

FMD
I heard the caller Ange coaching.

Taking the piss.

Hirchy and Gerard can count themselves very fortunate it seems to be the exact demographic that appeals to advertisers like the Family Peace Foundation and Doncaster BMW

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
I heard the caller Ange coaching.

Taking the piss.

Hirchy and Gerard can count themselves very fortunate it seems to be the exact demographic that appeals to advertisers like the Family Peace Foundation and Doncaster BMW[/QUOTE]
Agreed taking the piss.

Could you elaborate on the bolded bit

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
Agreed taking the piss.

Could you elaborate on the bolded bit
Not really - apart from it must be the demographic they are seeking if they keep paying to advertise.

I notice that I haven’t heard from Jin Hang for a while for example - but BMW have hung around!

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Not really - apart from it must be the demographic they are seeking if they keep paying to advertise.

I notice that I haven’t heard from Jin Hang for a while for example - but BMW have hung around!
Whats sens demographic?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mister M

All Australian
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
People who like to drive luxury cars, need airport car parking advice, could be prone or exposed to domestic abuse or violence, can’t hang their own TV, are balding and gambling addicts
...and buy 99 buck removal vans.

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
The current crew don't know the history of the station. It's broadcasted State of Origin before.

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
SEN has broadcasted SoO before. But they've been saying today that tonight is the first time SEN has done it. It's the first time since it's been Hutchy Radio.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Garry Lyon sounds like he’s absolutely pissed all the time

Slurs words, mumbles - so hard to understand

Shocking on the radio.
Thank you! I mentioned the same thing on here last week and got told I had hearing problems.

He mumbles all the time. Not clear at all.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In the early days of SEN, I never had any trouble understanding Gary Lyon ...... I do now.

He mumbles terribly, and if he lowers his voice (which he does frequently) its even harder to understand him.

Doesn't seem an issue when "On the Couch" so don't know what it is.......whether he relaxes more in the SEN studio, don't know but its annoying.

..I did mention the word mumbles, I also did not mention at all that I couldn't hear him....Think you need to read my post properly.

Top Bottom