Radio 1116 SEN 2019 Lineup

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't like Whateley's stilted, pompous-sounding delivery. It sounds like he's come from the ABC School of EENOWNSEEAYTEEENG, where they drum into you to the 1950s style of broadcasting, where you must make the absolute most of every syllable, and if there's not enough, add a few extra ones, ala Criag Willis, or should I say, "Craig-ah, Willis-aaaah, from the AFL-ah Grand Final-aaaaaaah"

Last edited:

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man Utd, Atlanta Hawks
Same here mate
Despite what some of us have said in the past about spud being on sen, I'm sure many of us in here feel like we knew him by how much we have seen and heard from him in the media over the years. Frawley wore his heart on his sleeve and he was passionate about footy and this came through. Listening to the sen this evening and watching fox footy now it's hard not to get emotional. Our heart goes out to his wife and daughters, extended family and his friends. I feel for Lyon and dunstall tonight.

mouncey2franklin

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I feel awful for my opinions on his media appearances now.
Why? They were your honest opinions at the time. Stand by them.

My honest opinion is that Gerard Whateley helped to stir the Australian mouth-breathing public into a frenzy which saw Smith banned for 12 months.

The greatest batsman since Bradman and we missed twelve months of him in his prime due to flogs like Whately and his mouth-breathing listeners.

Anybody who called for Smith to be banned ought to be tarred and feathered before allowed to attend another Test on Aussie soil.

Whateley especially.

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Why? They were your honest opinions at the time. Stand by them.

My honest opinion is that Gerard Whateley helped to stir the Australian mouth-breathing public into a frenzy which saw Smith banned for 12 months.

The greatest batsman since Bradman and we missed twelve months of him in his prime due to flogs like Whately and his mouth-breathing listeners.

Anybody who called for Smith to be banned ought to be tarred and feathered before allowed to attend another Test on Aussie soil.

Whateley especially.
But if smith wasnt banned he would not have achieved the unparallel heights he's scaled the past month in the ashes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mouncey2franklin

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think he's talking about Spud, who copped a lot of flack on here
Yeah and I am saying if his criticisms were valid then, they are valid now.

Unless dying prematurely suddenly makes people better at their job.

If Whateley died tomorrow it would not change my criticisms of him one iota.

(Naturally I wish Whateley good health and fortune, I don't wish harm on people I've never met...

...although I do wish a good tar and feathering for Whateley and his mouth-breathing followers who wanted Smith banned)

TheExtractorFactor

Club Legend
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Knicks // NY Giants
Yeah and I am saying if his criticisms were valid then, they are valid now.

Unless dying prematurely suddenly makes people better at their job.

If Whateley died tomorrow it would not change my criticisms of him one iota.

(Naturally I wish Whateley good health and fortune, I don't wish harm on people I've never met...

...although I do wish a good tar and feathering for Whateley and his mouth-breathing followers who wanted Smith banned)
I do stand by what I said but I think it's just a natural human emotion to regret negative things you've said about someone when something bad happens them, especially in these circumstances.

bedford

Hall of Famer
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC
The station has handled it brilliantly . Slobbo's comments in the paper this morning were a disgrace saying SEN was not for him.

Last edited:

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
The station has handled it brilliantly . Slobbo's comments in the paper this morning were a disgrace saying SEN was not for him. What a bitter fat prick.
He's not fat anymore. Harsh to call him a bitter fat prick especially given you've stuck up for other SEN personalities when they've been attacked by other posters.

Deliverance

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't like Whateley's stilted, pompous-sounding delivery. It sounds like he's come from the ABC School of EENOWNSEEAYTEEENG, where they drum into you to the 1950s style of broadcasting, where you must make the absolute most of every syllable, and if there's not enough, add a few extra ones, ala Criag Willis, or should I say, "Craig-ah, Willis-aaaah, from the AFL-ah Grand Final-aaaaaaah"
Yeah, it felt like Whateley's rant was about himself rather than spud.

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
With Frawley copping s**tloads on here, and observing all the kinds words within the footy community. I conclude that a reason why Frawley kept getting jobs in the media was because he was a good bloke. I think this may be the case with Maher as well?

Top Bottom