Radio 1116 SEN 2024 Line-up

Remove this Banner Ad

Laid up crook today and have had SEN on. A ridiculous amount of time allocated to a bad tempered tennis player. Lyon at least made the point of refusing to discuss it.

Laid up crook today and have had SEN on. A ridiculous amount of time allocated to a bad tempered tennis player. Lyon at least made the point of refusing to discuss it.

kinda agree.i have no problem with how kyrios operates. he's playing for himself.

That is true, but it is always "..Australian Nick Kyrgios etc" every time. That's what annoys most people.

I honestly think the people who get annoyed at him are people who can see he is wasting some serious world class talent.

I remember a time not so long ago when people avoided weighing in on a topic in which they had no knowledge on. Now it seems like showcasing your ignorance on a sport (in SEN's case) is something to be proud of. Further more, if you can make fun of that sport, the one you have zero knowledge on, it is seen as witty as opposed to showing your lack of intellect.

I remember a time not so long ago when people avoided weighing in on a topic in which they had no knowledge on. Now it seems like showcasing your ignorance on a sport (in SEN's case) is something to be proud of. Further more, if you can make fun of that sport, the one you have zero knowledge on, it is seen as witty as opposed to showing your lack of intellect.

Very true.

A common phrase on the morning show is "im not a (insert sport here) aficionado", then "that's why we get the experts in". It's lazy.
Watch or listen to espn, their hosts come armed with knowledge and or research. Its our culture, culturally, to be the class clown and ridicule the achievers - especially at school. It grows thereafter.

Not everybody is going to be across every sport and I’d much rather somebody was honest and up front about it rather than try to pretend to have a vast knowledge or be an authority on something they know little about.
Agree there is no need to take the piss though you’re talking to a national audience not around the mess room table at work.
Even then people don’t really appreciate it after an initial laugh about it. It’d be like me trying to talk American Football, I despise it but I just don’t talk about it rather than talk about how I hate it and I’m not on the bloody radio!

Not everybody is going to be across every sport and I’d much rather somebody was honest and up front about it rather than try to pretend to have a vast knowledge or be an authority on something they know little about.
Agree there is no need to take the piss though you’re talking to a national audience not around the mess room table at work.
Even then people don’t really appreciate it after an initial laugh about it. It’d be like me trying to talk American Football, I despise it but I just don’t talk about it rather than talk about how I hate it and I’m not on the bloody radio!

Yeah but if you’re a paid professional earning six figure salary you do some basic research. It’s not that hard to follow 4-5 sports closely. Lot of people on here do it for free!

I mean even the AFL guys say re AFL “oh I didn’t watch Suns Port game”. Well watch it then on fast forward of something. Seriously unprofessional

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very true.

A common phrase on the morning show is "im not a (insert sport here) aficionado", then "that's why we get the experts in". It's lazy.
Watch or listen to espn, their hosts come armed with knowledge and or research. Its our culture, culturally, to be the class clown and ridicule the achievers - especially at school. It grows thereafter.

I dunno where I sit with this. I love when they get someone like Adam Peacock on to talk them through a bit of soccer, or someone on the ground in Philly during the playoffs. Those guys are much more knowledgeable and passionate and it'd be silly to pretend to be on that level.

It depends who you're comparing them to with ESPN though. Is it a Scott Van Pelt who hosts 12am Sportscenter? He is across everything and one of the best in the world at his job, or are we talking about a Ryan Clark or Matt Hassleback? The thing is blokes like Gary and Tim get stuck in that space where they're not exactly the anchors who have spent time in college, time preparing and following sports and instead are the opinion guys who have had successful careers, but are then asked and meant to provide views on multiple sports.

It is classic when Tim does try to talk about NFL sometimes and doesn't really have much of a clue at all. Which is weird because he does sound pretty keen on it.

I dunno where I sit with this. I love when they get someone like Adam Peacock on to talk them through a bit of soccer, or someone on the ground in Philly during the playoffs. Those guys are much more knowledgeable and passionate and it'd be silly to pretend to be on that level.

It depends who you're comparing them to with ESPN though. Is it a Scott Van Pelt who hosts 12am Sportscenter? He is across everything and one of the best in the world at his job, or are we talking about a Ryan Clark or Matt Hassleback? The thing is blokes like Gary and Tim get stuck in that space where they're not exactly the anchors who have spent time in college, time preparing and following sports and instead are the opinion guys who have had successful careers, but are then asked and meant to provide views on multiple sports.

It is classic when Tim does try to talk about NFL sometimes and doesn't really have much of a clue at all. Which is weird because he does sound pretty keen on it.

All valid points and well made. Essentially tim and lyon and many in the media (including non sports radio/tv) are fresh out of footy. No training or exposure to hosting or preparing as you alluded to. Akin to reality contestants walking into media jobs

Yeah but they don’t even know basic AFL drafting rules such as academy points etc or around some rules. No excuses for that.

Yeah but they don’t even know basic AFL drafting rules such as academy points etc or around some rules. No excuses for that.
Honestly I could care less about that topic and have no problems with Lyon and Watson not knowing the details. As long as they know what they are talking about when it comes to the actual game is what concers me.

Honestly I could care less about that topic and have no problems with Lyon and Watson not knowing the details. As long as they know what they are talking about when it comes to the actual game is what concers me.

Draft period and FA rated high, plenty were interested. That is a big part of the game. They were discussing a possible trade but had no idea, think Daisy Pearce had to explain it.

Same here , people expect 2 much . That's why the Front Bar is so good , blokes just talking what they know without pretending .

Just got to look who Leach is working for now. Says a lot.
Yes.
Can see him sponging off the workers.
Has he ever got his hands dirty with real work?

Not a nice person, oh well, each to their own.

I’m tipping he had a horrible Saturday then.
His Saints got smashed in the last quarter then his team got belted in Queensland and around the nation.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back