Radio 1116 SEN 2024 Line-up

Remove this Banner Ad

KB was subtly trolling everyone with his team of the century schtick, the drive time slot never worked with Rothfield who should only ever be taken in microdoses.

I did suggest a few weeks ago that KB was trolling us with the 'Teams of the Century'.

Anyone who leaves an employer on bad terms usually does something on the way out - take a bit of stationery, turn up late and leave early, don't flush the toilet etc. KB's idea was to do 'Teams of the Century' every day - the radio equivalent of not flushing the toilet.

Wonder if there is any risk that he doesn't do the next four weeks and is pushed out early? "KB and the Doc" has already been removed from the SEN website.

Sam McClure is truly one of the most awful radio presenters of all time. He is constantly wrong about points of fact that even primary school kids would be all over. His depth of knowledge about football extends from shallow within the last 6 years or so, to zilch any further back from there. His knowledge of any other sport seems to be what he just heard on the latest news bulletin. He is sycophantic towards everyone in the football industry. No opinions are hard-hitting or controversial or even interesting. His on-air persona comes across as self-satisfied and aloof from his audience. If you're a talk back caller wishing to discuss the game on-air just be sure to agree with him. Contrary opinions get dismissed without any discussion. Currently filling in on the morning show and is doing a completely horrible job of it.
Agree totally, unlistenable! Many of mates, can’t stand him on TV, they can’t listen to weekday radio, for his smugness. And he has nothing to be smug about. Dermie, and Carey can be smug, but have at least been somebodies, and are somewhat entitled to be.

There may not be a Macquarie for KB to go to at this rate. Can someone explain how they are able to stay in business with such low figures?

I have no idea but I have been switching over recently, gotten very sick of SEN, particularly KB and the Doc, it's the same niggling bullshit everyday. And the team of the century s**t is just painful.

People picking on Sam McLure.

His dad died, didn’t you know?

Very very very smug is Sam.

This morning he does the Nathan Buckley interview and they start discussing dinner at Gil’s.

Smug Sam asks: who didn’t bring the wine, there’s always one.... (implying who is the cheap coach).

Buckley to his credit asks back: why did you ask that, why do you want to bring up a negative....

Back in his box. Classic.

Whilst we are at it.'Off the bench" has gone to the pack Saturday mornings, fooking woeful. They have that old girl on every Saturday and they thinks it funny ffs. That show was way better when they had more diverse caller interaction. Now all they have is a list from Liam, and a list from whoever, this show is definitely on death row.

SEN has sensationally yanked its longest serving host Kevin Bartlett off the air today.

The AFL legend hosted his last program with the sports station yesterday afternoon.

Anthony Hudson and Terry Wallace will fill today’s drive-time shift from 3pm until 6pm.

Bartlett’s long-term on-air partner Dr Turf (aka John Rothfield) is currently holidaying overseas.

Last week Bartlett and SEN boss Craig Hutchison negotiated a farewell on-air period for the Richmond great to say goodbye to his many loyal and long-time listeners.

But it is understood those terms changed dramatically yesterday when Bartlett spoke to the Herald Sun’s Mark Robinson about leaving the station.

“I really enjoyed the old SEN and it’s fair to say I haven’t enjoyed the new SEN,” Bartlett told the Herald Sun.

“It suits me to leave and it probably suits them that I leave as well.

The station moved swiftly to remove any reference to Bartlett on its social media this morning, revealing a new cover photo for its Facebook page without Bartlett or Rothfield.

The 72-year-old has been at SEN since its inception in 2004.

Hutchison is currently in New York.

Bartlett’s former SEN colleagues paid tribute to his 15-year stint at the sports radio station after it was revealed he had quit on Monday.

The Herald Sun revealed Bartlett had resigned amid tensions with station boss Craig Hutchison.

Bartlett said he had no idea what the future would bring after ending his long stint with the sport station.

He was replaced by Gerard Whateley on the 9am-midday shift at the start of last year, one of the first decisions made by Hutchison.

“I've been there since day one. The first day of broadcasting on SEN was the Monday and the David Hookes incident took place on the Sunday,” Bartlett said.

“It suits to me leave and it probably suits them that I leave as well.

“I’m going to do other things, I don’t know what I’m going to do, I’m just having a break.”

Bartlett was expected to see out the footy season but decided to pull the plug early after the tension inside the station's Southbank studios reached breaking point.

He didn't want to comment about his differences with management but did praise his on-air partner in the drive slot Dr Turf (aka John Rothfield) who is a business partner of Hutchison's and co-owner of the station.

“Doc is fantastic, he's a great friend,'” Bartlett said.

In a statement released on Tuesday, Hutchison said an agreement was reached in May with Bartlett and Rothfield that their show would not continue next year.

The station had planned for the show to continue until AFL grand final eve, which it said would have been a “fitting farewell”.

But a new program will now be fast tracked after Bartlett’s resignation.

“KB has been an extraordinary part of the station’s history and was one of many who pushed through the early years to help drive SEN to the audience it has today,” Hutchison said.

“We respect his decision to call time early and thank him on behalf of all listeners for his energy and commitment to the station.”

A replacement for Bartlett and Rothfield in the drivetime slot will be announced soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear you. I cringed last week when they were discussing the Ross Lyon era at the Saints and they were umming and aahing over whether the drawn Grand Final was in 2009 or 2010. In the end they went with "who cares" until a text came in telling them.

It may seem petty and a little pedantic to some, but to me something bigger is at play. When penning a scorching critique of Channel 9 cricket commentary a few years ago, Geoff Lemon used the term "deliberate idiocy" and it struck a chord with me. It's not that they don't know, it's that they make a point of not knowing, and a further point of dismissing their own lack of knowledge. It's like they're thumbing their nose at the audience that their own presence behind a microphone has achieved their own goals and that the needs of the audience are of no consequence. They are oblivious to the fact that we are tuning in expecting to be informed by people whose job it is to research, have a feel for the game and communicate it effectively. Instead, too much sports broadcasting seems to be people wanting to talk among themselves treating the audience as though they're outsiders eavesdropping in. Bruce McAvaney's longevity in sports broadcasting isn't because of his ability to tell a yarn, or crack jokes. He's passionate and knowledgeable about sport and demonstrates an eagerness to share it with the public. And for that he and the likes of Martin Tyler and the late Richie Benaud are respected. No one expects broadcasters to know everything about everything, but don't guess facts without research, and then dismiss it with a "who cares" when you're wrong. It's not about being wrong, it's more about not caring about being right.

It comes down to a lack of respect for the people you are supposed to be providing a service to. The audience deserves better.

Well said. There is certainly a distinct reduction in the value of the knowledge and feel for the present in terms of the overall sport itself with more and more commentators that try to be entertaining, rather than informative and accurate. When I was a little kid, I loved the knowledge and information the older commentators on a sports call could really add to the event I was watching or listening in. The gap seems to be no longer filled and when the KB's and McAveny's and Tim Lane's retire we stuck with only the Luke Darcy, Dwayne Russell, Basil and Richo type styles which is downright scary future.

Last edited:
Well said. There is certainly a distinct reduction in the value of the knowledge and feel for the present in terms of the overall sport itself with more and more commentators that try to be entertaining, rather than informative and accurate. When I was a little kid, I loved the knowledge and information the older commentators on a sports call good really add to the event I was watching or listening in. The gap seems to be no longer filled and when the KB's and McAveny's and Tim Lane's retire we stuck with only the Luke Darcy, Dwayne Russell, Basil and Richo type styles which is downright scary future.

In part - welcome to the "digital native" generation and era I suspect. Everyone has the answers at the tip of their fingers these days, so many no longer expect or look to experts as the source of truth anymore. Sport seems to be right behind entertainment in where this has impacted the most I would say. Can't think of anybody in the AFL media under 40 who has the knowledge or accuracy of previous generations, and may never see it again at the rate we are going.

Anyone trying to call KB's old show this afternoon to talk about his exit will probably get short-shrift. Won't get to air or cut off?

giphy.gif

Anyone trying to call KB's old show this afternoon to talk about his exit will probably get short-shrift. Won't get to air or cut off?

Huddo and plough are on NOW They are addressing it.

KB has decided to leave the station they said
footy legend
wealth of expertience
incredible knowledge of any sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Back