Radio 1116 SEN 2024 Line-up

Remove this Banner Ad

For a guy who's meant to be on the pulse, Whateley's bearings are a bit out of whack this morning.

People don't like Warner because he's a knob. Redemption can GAGF, he's beaten up Pakistan in favourable circumstances after being a liability in England.

Bradman's 334 is not sacred. Taylor has already matched it, and Hayden has already flogged it. You can't make 334 sacred when it's a irrelevant record.

Whateley referred to Lara's 400, and how the game ended in a draw, suggesting that the focus of Lara individual performance became a bigger priority than the team winning the game, and it cost West Indies the game. It was a first innings score, and WI knocked England off for 285 in the first innings, and had nearly two days to bowl England out again, but didn't.

Cornes feels ripped off that Warner couldn't go for and maybe get Lara's 400? He can GF, unappreciative knob should just appreciate he saw Warner get 335. Also, it'd be a blight on the game if a flog like Warner got the highest individual score.
hence why i listen less and less and less...theyre FOS

I've switched off and on throughout the tests and I reckon Huddo is a better, more natural caller of cricket than Whateley is.

Whateley is a natural for stats, setting up play and being in charge, but the more sedate nature of the game doesn't sit well with his lack of genuine warmth and good humour. The pace and adrenaline of footy is needed to put him in the comfort zone. He's almost demanding every ball to be 'something', when most of the time it's dullsville. Hence the need for a light-touch.

Huddo has that touch, can make fun of himself as well of others, but still be professional enough to paint the proper picture.

I've switched off and on throughout the tests and I reckon Huddo is a better, more natural caller of cricket than Whateley is.

Whateley is a natural for stats, setting up play and being in charge, but the more sedate nature of the game doesn't sit well with his lack of genuine warmth and good humour. The pace and adrenaline of footy is needed to put him in the comfort zone. He's almost demanding every ball to be 'something', when most of the time it's dullsville. Hence the need for a light-touch.

Huddo has that touch, can make fun of himself as well of others, but still be professional enough to paint the proper picture.
Great post and spot on about Huddo

Great post and spot on about Huddo

Whateley is also sounding a little stiff and tired - he would have been hoping (maybe expecting) the Network 7 job to take over Bruce.

To go from potentially earning a bucket-load to call the footy, the Olympics, tennis and racing on the main sports network to being back to reading out the latest happy meals at Maccas every 5 minutes has sucked the life out of him. He needs a serious rest.

SEN Mount Gambier was launched today. As they rebrand all those stations they bought there will be more and more of these stations coming online.

I agree a bit on Whately sounding tired. He had a bit of time off but did the football, then the Spring Carnival and now the Cricket along with his daily show. It is a fair workload.

Just on Heverin, I don't mind him but I think they should either lock him in as the evening presenter and have him do it or get someone else for that role. He could then be the regular fill in and call live sport. I think they struggle for consistency with him covering all these other shifts and never being in his standard timeslot.

Last edited:

Interesting discussion about SEN Cricket.

For whatever reason, I missed most of it last season, so this is my first real go at it. I switched over from Macquarie because I just can't listen to Darren Berry - awful.

Huddo is such an asset. I don't think his knowledge of cricket is elite, but he covers that with his superb professionalism. Very few others could pull this off.

I didn't detect that Gerard sounded tired. Unlike Huddo, he is a true cricket nuffy, so that gels with me. I find him much easier to listen to calling cricket compared with AFL, where I don't always like the way he shifts gears in his footy calling. And he seems to have fewer "agendas" in cricket.

Special comments analysts were pretty good, although I can only take Peter Lalor in small doses. Big fan of Damien Fleming, and Simon Katich generally.

The live-read ads during the cricket are annoying, but both of them do it.

There ya go....a positive post about SEN.

SEN Mount Gambier was launched today. As they rebrand all those stations they bought there wil be more and more of these stations coming online.

I agree a bit on Whately sounding tired. He had a bit of time off but did the football, then the Spring Carnival and now the Cricket along with his daily show. It is a fair workload.

Just on Heverin, I don't mind him but I think they should either lock him in as the evening presenter and have him do it or get someone else for that role. He could then be the regular dill and call live sport. I think they struggle for consistency with him covering all these other shifts and never being in his standard timeslot.

ABC has “Macca all over Australia”

Sen has “Heverin all over Sen”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huddo is such an asset. I don't think his knowledge of cricket is elite, but he covers that with his superb professionalism. Very few others could pull this off.
With the general feel of a dearth of quality across the sporting landscape, and as much as some people can't tolerate Whateley's righteousness, we are truly blessed at SEN, and in the broader sporting landscape, to have Huddo and Whateley. We really should appreciate it more than we do, I know I've tried to on the Friday night footy broadcasts over the last couple of seasons.

Interesting discussion about SEN Cricket.

For whatever reason, I missed most of it last season, so this is my first real go at it. I switched over from Macquarie because I just can't listen to Darren Berry - awful.

I didn't detect that Gerard sounded tired. Unlike Huddo, he is a true cricket nuffy, so that gels with me. I find him much easier to listen to calling cricket compared with AFL, where I don't always like the way he shifts gears in his footy calling. And he seems to have fewer "agendas" in cricket.

Special comments analysts were pretty good, although I can only take Peter Lalor in small doses. Big fan of Damien Fleming, and Simon Katich generally.

The live-read ads during the cricket are annoying, but both of them do it.

There ya go....a positive post about SEN.
Agree with all of that . Too much of Lalor though . I don't know what the connection is with the Australian journo's as no one reads it , an example was Denham.

sen from midday is a basket case,no structure,nobody is resonating..i like the golf getting exposure atm

i do too. with the summer of golf starting here, it deserves coverage.

i had a thought last night driving around.....i think sen suffers from being on air live all day with "not that much sport" to talk about. Once they're done talking cricket, and some NBL basketball, there's nothing they can talk about with authority other than footy. and footy wise there's nothing much.....oh yeah let's interview a coach who will provide nothing of real substance leading into.....christmas.

could it be worth tabling that say breakfast/whately/drive are live and arvos is perhaps replays of stuff? night time, coverage of live sport?

i do too. with the summer of golf starting here, it deserves coverage.

i had a thought last night driving around.....i think sen suffers from being on air live all day with "not that much sport" to talk about. Once they're done talking cricket, and some NBL basketball, there's nothing they can talk about with authority other than footy. and footy wise there's nothing much.....oh yeah let's interview a coach who will provide nothing of real substance leading into.....christmas.

could it be worth tabling that say breakfast/whately/drive are live and arvos is perhaps replays of stuff? night time, coverage of live sport?

SEN should be finding the new sports-slanted comedic voices from the younger pod-cast generation and giving them airtime in the afternoons and evening when there's nothing happening.

Most will be s**t, but some will hit pay-dirt and maybe even bring a new audience.

Radical, huh?

Geez, they might even discover women can be funny and entertaining too. I'm sure they can read out ads like the best of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back