Toast 11th top 4 finish in 14 seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if we straight set out you will still hug chris scott's nuts.

I'm just over the same sh*t happening every year, and chris scotts failure to address it. Late season fade outs, slow starts in finals etc.

Bloody hell, how long does he need to address these issues so we can actually progress in finals? No point even making the finals if all you do is make up the numbers. Is there any chance we can actually be a threat this year?

How would you suggest this issue is addressed?
You are probably disappointed that the lure of a flag looks forlorn now, whereas several weeks ago it looked promising.We only just finished top 4. It is not as if we have finished where Port is. Fwiw, I think Port will play Richmond in the GF. Port has been on top the WHOLE season, a remarkable achievement, and Richmond looks like the best team.
That means if we make a prelim, we justify our top 4 finish.No way would losing a prelim represent a failed season.
Why can't you see that circumstances just have not delivered us our best team in tip-top condition. That sort of luck is crucial in winning GF's. It still may happen. I'm basing this on NO STANLEY, and lack of game time for Selwood, GAJ, Steven, and the apparent slow-down of Taylor. If we are just heading towards peaking in October, great, we are a chance. But right now, our weaknesses are evident and not readily rectifiable for obvious reasons.

As some have already mentioned, means absolutely nothing at all finishing top four if you can't even get to a grand final in hope of winning a 10th cup.

If they manage to get to the grand final but lose, so be it, well done Geelong and Chris Scott but on recent history, Geelong has a lot to prove as they will be heavily criticized for wasting another season if they flop in finals.
see post above.

I think its going to be an interesting finals series. The loser of our QF will have to get passed West Coast and then in all likely hood Richmond to reach the grand final. If its us that goes down, we might be able to get past WC, but I can't see us backing that up to get past Richmond a week later. If we went out in straight sets I'd be mighty disappointed, but it wouldn't represent an unfulfilled promise to me because there have been 5 teams who've shown themselves to be better than the rest all season. If we ended up on the bottom of that 5 (By virtue of losing to 2 of the other 5 teams) that isn't embarrassing. But like I said I'd be pretty disappointed.

That said the optimistic part of my brain yells at me and says we will easily dispatch port, who'll then go clean out Eagle and Tiges for us before we give them another hiding in the grand final.

Why is that bcause pretend not to know what is coming?

Why the f**** do I care what's coming, good or bad, when I sit down on a Friday night to watch my team play somebody else's team?

Why, because of some other minority group of Geelong fans, can I not just watch what is in front of me and cheer my team home and then worry about the next week? Then the week after that? Then the finals when they come around?

Does my joy from watching us defeat West Coast in last year's semi-final suddenly get visited in a time machine, and told to recede because of what happened a week later?

Geez mate.

Even if we straight set out you will still hug chris scott's nuts.

I'm just over the same sh*t happening every year, and chris scotts failure to address it. Late season fade outs, slow starts in finals etc.

Bloody hell, how long does he need to address these issues so we can actually progress in finals? No point even making the finals if all you do is make up the numbers. Is there any chance we can actually be a threat this year?

If we go out and straight sets I will not be happy.

Truth is premierships are not easy to win.

You also have to factor in that nearly every year under Scott we have lost good players and had others good players drop off due to old age.

I honestly understand the frustration with performance in finals. At the same time I think it's illogical to come to the conclusion that a man with Scotts record can't coach or that he somehow loses his ability in the finals.

If we go out and straight sets I will not be happy.

Truth is premierships are not easy to win.

You also have to factor in that nearly every year under Scott we have lost good players and had others good players drop off due to old age.

I honestly understand the frustration with performance in finals. At the same time I think it's illogical to come to the conclusion that a man with Scotts record can't coach or that he somehow loses his ability in the finals.
Proof is in the pudding. He get’s away with it because of apologists like yourself. Always full of excuses.

Our sustained dominance extends even further back. In regards to wins this vid shows we have hardly been out of the top 4 performed since the AFL started in 1990.

And we've been top of the pile for the last 10 years straight. If only we weren't a club that settles for mediocrity...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, so, so, so good being a Geelong fan this Century - I think better than being a supporter of any other club.

We excel in most areas as a club.

We have the others covered overall.

Administration, performance, lack of scandal, producing leaders and people of character, following a solid ethical road map, winning, value for money, our facilities, our respect, our player dev. and recruiting, our handling the media, our attitude to the AFL, our people focused culture, our genuine care for our players and our care for the rest of the AFL, our club structures, our governance, - the list goes on.

We are not perfect, but overall we are number one, and even begrudgingly the rest of the AFL knows it.

We don't have Wallys like Kennett or Eddie running the show.
We don't (generally) have rabid supporters and a doubtful culture like Richmond.
We don't have the very questionable pasts like Essendon or WCE or Carlton.
We are not a rabble like Melbourne or St Kilda or WBDs or Adelaide or Freo.
We are nothing if not establishment - unlike GCS or GWS.
We are not a mish-mash like Brissie, or a failing club like North, or nothing much at all like Port.
We don't achieve due to handouts and extra benefits like Sydney - which Geelong "runs" now away ("Afternoon Tom").

I reckon if you take all the metrics of what it means to be a great AFL club, we have the rest of the comp. covered.

And as one of those metrics, we also keep on winning almost every week.

It is such a pleasure!

So, so, so, so good being a Geelong fan this Century - I think better than being a supporter of any other club.

We excel in most areas as a club.

We have the others covered overall.

Administration, performance, lack of scandal, producing leaders and people of character, following a solid ethical road map, winning, value for money, our facilities, our respect, our player dev. and recruiting, our handling the media, our attitude to the AFL, our people focused culture, our genuine care for our players and our care for the rest of the AFL, our club structures, our governance, - the list goes on.

We are not perfect, but overall we are number one, and even begrudgingly the rest of the AFL knows it.

We don't have Wallys like Kennett or Eddie running the show.
We don't (generally) have rabid supporters and a doubtful culture like Richmond.
We don't have the very questionable pasts like Essendon or WCE or Carlton.
We are not a rabble like Melbourne or St Kilda or WBDs or Adelaide or Freo.
We are nothing if not establishment - unlike GCS or GWS.
We are not a mish-mash like Brissie, or a failing club like North, or nothing much at all like Port.
We don't achieve due to handouts and extra benefits like Sydney - which Geelong "runs" now away ("Afternoon Tom").

I reckon if you take all the metrics of what it means to be a great AFL club, we have the rest of the comp. covered.

And as one of those metrics, we also keep on winning almost every week.

It is such a pleasure!
Great and accurate post.

It is such a pleasure!
A lot of people take what you've said for granted. There's a reason why North has a warchest that keeps growing (and being rejected) whilst we continue to be a club linked to almost every valuable player on the market.

We have underachieved based on statistics, but so have other clubs in history. This year is independent of all others. Time to go one further than last year.

So Scott loses finals because people on BF give him a pass mark? Rightio.

How did you manage to come up with that?

He has no pressure to perform in finals, cause of people who blindly accept that making the finals is good enough. Inside and outside the club. It’s a losers mentality. Close enough is good enough.

Failure was not accepted in 2008. It drove us to win in 2009. What happened to that winners mentality?

And we've been top of the pile for the last 10 years straight. If only we weren't a club that settles for mediocrity...

And zero silverware to show for it in nearly a decade. Such “success”.

A lot of people take what you've said for granted. There's a reason why North has a warchest that keeps growing (and being rejected) whilst we continue to be a club linked to almost every valuable player on the market.

We have underachieved based on statistics, but so have other clubs in history. This year is independent of all others. Time to go one further than last year.
It would be nice. :)

Over the time frame of the graphic above, we've notched the most wins of any club and have gone on to win three flags. Only two clubs have won more flags over the same period.

So, if that is embracing a loser's mentality, you would believe there have been two successful clubs (at most) in the entire AFL since 1990. Truly makes you wonder why the rest of them bother.

Over the time frame of the graphic above, we've notched the most wins of any club and have gone on to win three flags. Only two clubs have won more flags over the same period.

So, if that is embracing a loser's mentality, you would believe there have been two successful clubs (at most) in the entire AFL since 1990. Truly makes you wonder why the rest of them bother.
Makes you wonder why we can’t convert strong form in the season, into finals wins.

Makes you wonder why we can’t convert strong form in the season, into finals wins.

Sure. I just see that suggesting that it is a loser's mentality from the coaches and players (or, even more farcically, the supporter base) is lazy reasoning and a highly spurious explanation.

You can drone on incessantly about how they're all just 'near enough is good enough' down at the club. Well, when you walk off year after year without winning the prize, I don't think that it's going to seem remotely good enough to the group to not have achieved the ultimate. It must burn like nothing else for the team (most of whom have never even played on the big day) to have missed out yet again.

But the 'fix' for our finals losses isn't just 'improving their mentality'. It's overcoming the very best teams in the highest pressure environments, with every error magnified and every opponent striving just like you to realise their dream.

Take last year's prelim, for example. The idea that we exhibited a 'loser's mentality' in that game just doesn't square with the facts for mine. Three goals up at half-time (should have been more), with our key forward out and our best ball user in the middle unavailable. Overrun in the end by a team who mercilessly belted every other opponent they played in that finals series, and ended up being one atrocious game from a triple premiership triumph.

We did end up losing the game, I admit. But if a PF loss like 2019 franks us as a club with a 'loser's mentality', I shudder to think what it says about every other club in the comp.

How did you manage to come up with that?

He has no pressure to perform in finals, cause of people who blindly accept that making the finals is good enough. Inside and outside the club. It’s a losers mentality. Close enough is good enough.

Failure was not accepted in 2008. It drove us to win in 2009. What happened to that winners mentality?

You said it?
The fact we lost in 2008 when we were 6 goals better than any other team in the comp, might tell you something about winning flags.
I had to wait 44 years to see us win a flag -so 10 years - meh.

Nah you just pretty much made up a ridiculous assumption. Not even close to the point.
Not as ridiculous as your assumption than Scott, the club, the players, the supporters take the view that ‘close enough is good enough’. Just laughable.
Everyone wants to win the flag, sometimes there are better teams. It’s pretty simple by and large.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back