Toast 11th top 4 finish in 14 seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Id say Scotty has Bomber totally covered for Prelims. Made way more.

Might want to check your facts there.

GO Catters
Yeah 5 each. Smashing him.
Anyway I don't want to be one of those people putting a downer on a toast thread.
Since 2004 we've missed the finals twice??
Between 89 and 04 we wouldn't have missed that many either.
30 years.

Some real sad sacks enjoy the downside and beating the "we lost" drum rather than looking forward and enjoying the ride. Its noted so if or when the up swing occurs they wont be missed in the celebrations should they arise.

Sure we have underperformed at times - and we've be sh*t a times too - and we've been not been the best team when we should have. But that also does not dictate what we'll be going forward nor should it remove the fun of being a supporter going into whatever comes up.

If we are good enough - then we'll win. And if not, we won't.

Go Catters
It does rationally dictate what goes foward if the same strategies/personal that were perceived to lose the finals before are still being employed today.

And no one enjoys us losing. Posters may get angry if they preceive losses are due to poor decision making or lack of effort or failing to learn from the past. Please dont call posters sad sacks and suggest people want the club to do poorly.

What happened to pledging to be nice to each other?

Yeah 5 each. Smashing him.
Anyway I don't want to be one of those people putting a downer on a toast thread.
Since 2004 we've missed the finals twice??
Between 89 and 04 we wouldn't have missed that many either.
30 years.

We missed Finals 7 times between 89-04.

Sounds like an excuse to me.
Something CS is not allowed, I believe.
Its not really an excuse, if we played better we would of been up by multiple goals so it wouldnt have mattered.

we all know what went wrong with 2010. teams figured out how to deal with Our handball strategy and we didnt switch quickly enough back to a More conventional game plan because the players rejected the idea. Blame it on either the players or blame it on thompson for failing to convince the players.

the club learned from its mistake and reverted to the game plan that thompson advocated a year earlier the next season under scott.

This was great to watch.

What I noticed was that the umpiring was really good. The game was allowed to flow.

If this last two minutes happened today, I think that we'd have an umpire taking centre stage and paying multiple frees and even potentially a 50 for some random non-event and ultimately corrupt the outcome of the game.

This was great to watch.

What I noticed was that the umpiring was really good. The game was allowed to flow.

If this last two minutes happened today, I think that we'd have an umpire taking centre stage and paying multiple frees and even potentially a 50 for some random non-event and ultimately corrupt the outcome of the game.

Outside of the last goal the Pies got, of course.

This was great to watch.

The umps did that 2 years later in the saints game.

He got screwed by the ump in the saints game who disallowed our goal that put us in front And into a home prelim.

I remember that! It was a Mooney tackle on Gwilt that was judged as 'in the back'. I'm one-eyed so I can't give an objective opinion but here's the last 2 minutes of that game;

My opinion - what a crock of s**t. Seriously.

I remember that! It was a Mooney tackle on Gwilt that was judged as 'in the back'. I'm one-eyed so I can't give an objective opinion but here's the last 2 minutes of that game;

My opinion - what a crock of sh*t. Seriously.

I'll never forget this game. Raining all second half and I was at the end Lingy kicked the goal and we were going ******* nuts. I was hugging random people around me. Came crashing down quickly though.

It

My opinion - what a crock of sh*t. Seriously.

It was a complete crock. To pay that in a wet weather final is astounding.It cost us a week off and a home prelim against the doggies.

I'll never forget this game. Raining all second half and I was at the end Lingy kicked the goal and we were going ******* nuts. I was hugging random people around me. Came crashing down quickly though.

It was angst-inducing stuff! Umpires should put the whistle away for the last 2 minutes of a close final unless something malicious or dangerous is happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not really an excuse, if we played better we would of been up by multiple goals so it wouldnt have mattered.

we all know what went wrong with 2010. teams figured out how to deal with Our handball strategy and we didnt switch quickly enough back to a More conventional game plan because the players rejected the idea. Blame it on either the players or blame it on thompson for failing to convince the players.

the club learned from its mistake and reverted to the game plan that thompson advocated a year earlier the next season under scott.
Pies developed a great brand of footy and were the best team in 2010. 2011 for most of it too, and if Malthouse /Eddie hadn’t disintegrated and created distractions within the club, they might have won that year too.

Pies developed a great brand of footy and were the best team in 2010. 2011 for most of it too, and if Malthouse /Eddie hadn’t disintegrated and created distractions within the club, they might have won that year too.
2011 for most of it? Geelong won like the first 13 games straight that season to wrap up top 2. Not collingwood. In the last third of the season geelong then had 3 100 point wins, one against the pies and the two other games were by over 150 points. We were clearly the team to beat.

In 2010 there were no standout teams. Collingwood had a good finish but were average earlier in the season and terribly off on grand final day. Ripe for the picking that day.

2011 for most of it? Geelong won like the first 13 games straight that season to wrap up top 2. Not collingwood. In the last third of the season geelong then had 3 100 point wins, one against the pies and the two other games were by over 150 points. We were clearly the team to beat.

In 2010 there were no standout teams. Collingwood had a good finish but were average earlier in the season and terribly off on grand final day. Ripe for the picking that day.
In 2011 Pies beat every team except the cats. You can spin that both ways, no other team could touch them

In 2010 we were off in the prelim (and arguably the QF), we were ripe for the picking that night too due to our own off field issues.

In 2011 Pies beat every team except the cats. You can spin that both ways, no other team could touch them

In 2010 we were off in the prelim (and arguably the QF), we were ripe for the picking that night too due to our own off field issues.
Geelong touched them 3 times. Geelong didnt lose a game until top 2 was already wrapped up. Could argue our only losses for the season were during heavy training loads in the back half of the season. Pies struggled against hawthorn in 2011 prelim and didnt even look right against eagles either. Their gf wasnt a one off Performance

prelims its always hard to determine who is the better team even after the result because one team has twice the break of the other. They arent even contests.

He’s a reasonable coach. And i do like him personally. Seems like a good dude.

My issue with him is his inability to turn good home and away form into finals success. We continually fall in a heap when it matters. And he has not been able to do a damn thing about it. It’s the same old problems that never get fixed that have been happening year after year. He also seems reluctant to make big changes to try to fix it. It’s the same things over and over again expecting a different result. The definition of insanity.

The way I see it is that we are well coached and have good systems in place that allows us to perform well during the season.

However I don't think we have had the level of talent required to compete with other top 4 sides when they play at a high intensity in the finals.

Against high pressure we don't execute our skills well and this has simply been due to player ability .

Re read the post you quoted and check the tense.....

Precisely why a team with the best depth in the competition, a spine which includes Stewart, Hawkins, Dangerfield, Selwood and we still do not have the talent required to beat the other teams situated beside us of top four . . . despite beating those teams during the H&A?

I sense a bit of trepidation or covering tracks just in case this side does capitulate in finals under the guidance of Chris Scott.

No you cant. Have you forgotton the swans prelim when we had the week off and got smashed in the opening qtr. or the crows prelim where we got smashed as well.

Our 2007-2011 side was one of the best sides ever. In fact if you use All Australian players as a measure of talent it was the most talented side ever. Our 2016-2020 side is good but not close to being on the same level.

Its like comparing the performance of the jockey of Pharlap with the jockey of just simply a good horse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back