Traded 12. Cooper Stephens (2020-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

It did, but the coaching group would have seen a fair bit from him and they're the ones making decisions on his future. Their feedback during the year was really positive

I feel sorry for the kids the last couple of years. The kid that get drafted this year may well be rawer than most , and I wonder how many Stewart stories will come out in years to come...kids that just got messed up by their NabL years.

I like the kid... but history is full of bad luck stories. He needs to get fit and healthy and push for a game in his 3rd year. No matter how confident or supportive the feed back At the end of this year they will bring in a group of fresh names, probably some that will be brought in to play from day 1...and the drafted kids will soon be pushing their case. Im sure Holmes will get positive feedback after playing a couple of times in Y1 and will look to improve on that. I want CooperS to succeed and not see him be another Smedts etc. Get the ankle right . Get fit and bust the door down.

I just wanna know if hes a real person..
And not another Darcy Lang.

Im not getting carried away until we actually see the bloke play footy, Billie Smedts was the best thing since sliced bread in his draft year and ended up being a complete spud.

Big preseason for him...and he looks ready to step.

I would think all players, including the ones delisted in the last two years could rightly feel a bit hard done by... but it has used up some of his normal development time. If he blitz's preseason and if best 22 by march then he has chance to put all doubts in the past. I hope it happens we desperately need it. We need a young player that is equal to some older players in selection assessment.

What's the deal with this guy?

You'd think now is the time to integrate him into the side in place of Close. Other than Stengle who can take a game away from an opponent I think your small forwards are expendable. Neither Close or Miers are quick enough to add the extra ground level bite needed.

That's only relevant to Stephens because he can perform the pressure/structural role and can't wait 2 more years for a midfield spot to free up.

Change has to be forced it almost always is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd think now is the time to integrate him into the side in place of Close. Other than Stengle who can take a game away from an opponent I think your small forwards are expendable. Neither Close or Miers are quick enough to add the extra ground level bite needed.

That's only relevant to Stephens because he can perform the pressure/structural role and can't wait 2 more years for a midfield spot to free up.

Stephens isn't a small forward.

Even if he was he hasn't played anything like to a full match length game since u18 due to injury and covid. Let him get a vfl game in first

Stephens is an inside mid.

The same Brad close that had it 16 times and kicked 2 last week.

Stephens will get he's chance ..

Read, it helps.

Go Away GIF

Is this a really poor attempt at trolling?

• Close had 16 disposals & kicked 2 goals against your team last weekend, think that all teams would take that from their small forwards on a weekly basis
  • Miers has a career high 25 disposals against Essendon, and averages 2 goals per game against your lot; again that's a pretty good return for a small forward

Most importantly though, Stephens is an inside midfielder & not competing with our small forwards looks Stengle, Miers or Close for a spot in the side

Bruno likes to convey very specific arguments without the requisite clarity.

The question is: if he's good enough to warrant developing in the firsts (and on draft pick, attributes and preseason form he looks good enough), do you change the structure to get him in? Building up his game time in the twos until he can run games out makes perfect sense - but once that's done, what happens?

Senior midfielder seems the deepest position at the Cats so it may well involve sacrifice elsewhere, though I'd be looking at the games someone like Higgins has been getting as a flanker/outnumber rather than one of the true smalls.

I reckon we could and should fit him in. Yes, we have a decent group of inside mids but look at the Blues this year with Cripps, Cerra, Kennedy, Walsh and Newman. Smashing their opponents in contested footy. I think it's also a unique opportunity for Stephens to fast track his learning playing alongside Selwood and Dangerfield whilst they are still playing.

I'd like to see a midfield group of Selwood, Dangerfield, Parfitt, Duncan, Stephens and Holmes - nice blend of youth and experience.

I reckon we could and should fit him in. Yes, we have a decent group of inside mids but look at the Blues this year with Cripps, Cerra, Kennedy, Walsh and Newman. Smashing their opponents in contested footy. I think it's also a unique opportunity for Stephens to fast track his learning playing alongside Selwood and Dangerfield whilst they are still playing.

I'd like to see a midfield group of Selwood, Dangerfield, Parfitt, Duncan, Stephens and Holmes - nice blend of youth and experience.

Agreed....and it won't be long before its a reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back