Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope he goes bc he's an expensive back up player. Elton is more important than dave just on mobility alone
Get it done boys
Next year is going to be awesome with at least six list cloggers moved on this year.

You go to VFL games don't you TI, how is Elton doing, do you think he is going to make it?

Talk of Astbury and our second round in exchange for Brisbanes round 2 pick is utterly ridiculous. Highway robbery for Brisbane, he is worth more then a 9-10 pick upgrade.

A glacier is faster than Chaplin.
I don't mind Astbury. Would prefer to keep him, but if he is a piece in the jigsaw of a trade that will benefit our club, then so be it. also, if it's best for him that moves on and gets games at another club, I wouldn't begrudge him that. he seems like a ripping fella with the few interactions I've had with him.
That's what I mean, Astbury is pretty good one on one too
I'm not against a trade, if he can land us a player we need to fill a hole on our list then do it, but if its just for an upgrade of picks then I'd rather keep him and have him start to take over Chaplin's role in 2016 while Elton keeps developing. Maybe they feel Elton is ready to take Chaplin's role and is more mobile so they will trade Astbury, but that leaves us with no depth when Chaplin retires.

Astbury was our best player (in the whole team) in the first half of 2014. Not sure why we would trade. Chaplin is close to retirement.

Not sure if injuries have affected his mobility and make of this what you will but we have lost 9 of the last 12 games he has played in. Was very good one on one but I am not sure he provides the link when moving the ball out of the backline like Rance and Chaplin do.

Very interesting thread. A question for me is , does Elton have the skill onground ability to fill Chaplin's roll?

Talk of Astbury and our second round in exchange for Brisbanes round 2 pick is utterly ridiculous. Highway robbery for Brisbane, he is worth more then a 9-10 pick upgrade.
Unless that upgraded pick is used on Yarran or bennell?

That's what I mean, Astbury is pretty good one on one too
I'm not against a trade, if he can land us a player we need to fill a hole on our list then do it, but if its just for an upgrade of picks then I'd rather keep him and have him start to take over Chaplin's role in 2016 while Elton keeps developing. Maybe they feel Elton is ready to take Chaplin's role and is more mobile so they will trade Astbury, but that leaves us with no depth when Chaplin retires.
Signing Elton to a 3 year deal showed their hand they see he has the upside to slot in - and based on the age profile of our defenders Chaplin is the obvious one that needs replacing sooner

Obviously they are chasing him because they need someone to replace McGuane.

witches_hat_with_reflective_strip_CPE4336.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LoL.A bloke with his history of injuries.If they suggest 2nd round swaps i'd take it and run.

You go to VFL games don't you TI, how is Elton doing, do you think he is going to make it?
Yes. Watched him from day one as a Coburg Tiger and he always looked good even as a forward. I'm really impressed with the way he's developed and I reckon we've kept him one year longer in the seconds. Don't take his VFL stats too seriously as he's in a team with a pop gun midfield so he and his under qualified team mates are under the pump down back
His only criticism from me he's become more of a spoiler and doesn't mark the ball even when he should or could.
Clubs backed him in which is good

Yes. Watched him from day one as a Coburg Tiger and he always looked good even as a forward. I'm really impressed with the way he's developed and I reckon we've kept him one year longer in the seconds. Don't take his VFL stats too seriously as he's in a team with a pop gun midfield so he and his under qualified team mates are under the pump down back
His only criticism from me he's become more of a spoiler and doesn't mark the ball even when he should or could.
Clubs backed him in which is good

Similar development to Grimes early days? Could it be instructional whilst he finds his feet and next year the instructions change?

Very interesting thread. A question for me is , does Elton have the skill onground ability to fill Chaplin's roll?

Talk from within the Club is if Elton can manage to stop bodying up on his opponent in a contest or at least not win a one on one and also learn to point more, then the position is his. Not being able to hit a target by foot over 30m is negotiable at this stage.

The risk for both brisbane and us when talking Astbury needs to be taken into account. IMO a perfect win/win would be to swap Astbury for a player on Brisbane list who has talent but could do with a change. That way both clubs get plenty of upside and are no worse if they dont come on.

I think people forget the KPP tax will apply when valuing Astbury, and he has almost a full season of being injury free under his belt and couldnt break into one of the most settled and efficient back 6 in the comp. No shame in that.

he will net us a win/win trade IMO, even more so going to Brisbane where Leppa has intimate knowledge of his ability.

Asters came into the side last year because Rancey was injured. Probably not the player to replace Chappy as he hasn't got the gorilla strength. Can't punch past Grimma, Batch or Rancey. He probably knows that he'll become just a depth player at the Tigers, so probably best for him to move on.
We won't trade Lennon. He's my precious. Give him number 12.
As for Chappy, I feel he's been a bit hard done by on the board. Been really good for the club, as his work at CHB has allowed Rance to become the running player he is now. If he just hadnt tried to step around Nahas.... Just one goat....

Obviously is good enough to make the 22. He proved this in 2014. Should be playing ahead of Chaplin next year. Will Elton can get to a similar stage though? Tough decision.

Sometimes you've got to give someone of value to get someone of value. All trades should have some win/win about them.

Asters came into the side last year because Rancey was injured. Probably not the player to replace Chappy as he hasn't got the gorilla strength. Can't punch past Grimma, Batch or Rancey. He probably knows that he'll become just a depth player at the Tigers, so probably best for him to move on.
Astbury had enough strength to take on bigger forwards while Rance was injured than Chaplin usually does week to week.

Talk from within the Club is if Elton can manage to stop bodying up on his opponent in a contest or at least not win a one on one and also learn to point more, then the position is his. Not being able to hit a target by foot over 30m is negotiable at this stage.
Very clever Elvis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back