Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

2 years will take him to 30 at that point it’s on him tiger for life or twilight years at a different club
Either way I’ll be wrapped for him

Good bloke and very reliable footballer when he hasn't got gastro;)

Welcome aboard for another two years Dave - A flag this year please Dave

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Set ourselves up pretty well for next year as well
Pretty much all those guys that are out of contract are still developing apart from nank are non are A line players so it shouldn’t be very hard to keep anyone that we want

Astbury going would be a mistake, seen him take on and beat the likes of gunston, cloke, waite, hawkins and tippett when he was still a bit underdone and needed time and confidence in his recovering frame, only 24 still will be as good as any key big backman in the next few years if his body holds up and confidence returns, would play him before any of batch, chaplin, griff, bean, without hesitation in 2016. he aint backup... leppa had a good crack at him last year too. only negative is daves body may not be up to it for the long haul.
glad you didn't leave us dave :) ;)

I'm bumping this thread as he had a great final series and has been rock solid all year.

Those weeks he was out we were vulnerable down back but KPF's know they're in for slim pickings when they come up against him.

He is a great role player in a difficult position and doesn't get the love he deserves. Get around the big fella and show him some love as I don't think we would have won without him and Rance.

Last edited:
I'm bumping this thread as he had a great final series and has been rock solid all year.

Those weeks he was out we were vulnerable down back but KPF's know they're in for slim pickings when they come up against him.

He is a great role player in a difficult position and doesn't get the love he deserves. Get around the big fella and show him some love as I don't think we would have won without him and Rance.
Goes about it quietly.
Quality defender/person.

Anyone else read that age article by Konrad

He was in the rooms when the players were rated by the coaches after the game Astbury kept whoever he was playing on to

ZERO touches

What a ******* gun

It does make you wonder what a defender has to do to be recognised??Surely this is the perfect game for a defender. If all of the back six did this then you win the game easily.

It’s an extraordinary statistic and I’m just glad it has been recognised publicly in some way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back