Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

According to The AGE, the Lionsare pursuing David Asbury:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-richmonds-david-astbury-20150921-gjr96e.html

Do people think he should be traded? I am not sold that he will be in our best 18, on the other hand he is handy insurance in case Rance or Chaplin go down.
Depth at best now and if he can get a run in another team then so be it. Leaves us a little thin for defenders but this also moves Elton up the chain.

Might be handy in the Aish deal though?

Doesn't surprise me. Leppa rates him highly, and we might be able to get good value from the Lions for him. He's a very good defender who is unfortunate enough to be trying to break into the best backline in the league. I'd be open to it if it contributed towards us getting a Bennell or a Redden.

I still dont get why he isnt best 22 in the backline, was flying before his injury last season.
We played him forward early in the season when he came back and wasnt suited imo.
The elim showed us we still struggle against tall marking forwards, still a required player for mine.

As much as I'd love to keep him for depth I'd rather we use him to get better starting 22 players in. The more players we get to push out our starting players the better our depth becomes in the long run anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, I would ask Leppa if he wanted Chaplin too. We have to bite the short term pain when Chaplin gone and just plunge games into Elton and Rance combo.
Astbury leaving would fit with your post a little while back saying we would be looking to draft a KPD and ruckman.

Astbury going would be a mistake, seen him take on and beat the likes of gunston, cloke, waite, hawkins and tippett when he was still a bit underdone and needed time and confidence in his recovering frame, only 24 still will be as good as any key big backman in the next few years if his body holds up and confidence returns, would play him before any of batch, chaplin, griff, bean, without hesitation in 2016. he aint backup... leppa had a good crack at him last year too. only negative is daves body may not be up to it for the long haul.

Kinda depends what we get in return doesn't it?
People say he's slow, but is he slower than Chaplin?
Most likely is asbury and our second rounder for there second rounder which is around 20 then we trade it for yarran

Remove this Banner Ad

Back