Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I'd like to know why we don't play Dom Tyson deep in the 50 and one out more often. I reckon he's actually pretty good above head and he's dangerous on the snap or the run. I reckon it's a string I have no idea why we haven't strung

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd like to know why we don't play Dom Tyson deep in the 50 and one out more often. I reckon he's actually pretty good above head and he's dangerous on the snap or the run. I reckon it's a string I have no idea why we haven't strung
Please no! He's not quick so he's getting nothing on the lead, and he's not strong so he's not going to rag doll his opponent. Best case he'd create a contest in my opinion. He's no Trac or Dusty mate.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Please no! He's not quick so he's getting nothing on the lead, and he's not strong so he's not going to rag doll his opponent. Best case he'd create a contest in my opinion. He's no Trac or Dusty mate.

Not on Alex rance mate but to drag his opponent forward more often. Tyson is quite strong overhead and a vacuum cleaner and creative when the balls on the deck. Don't think Dustin Martin forward that's an unfair comparison. But he can take a mark

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
The problem is he has far more games where his disposal is poor than games like the Saints game when he used it well.

He'll always be a good ballwinner and pretty good in traffic but his disposal just kills us sometimes. I was furious when Melksham passed it to him in the 3rd, Melksham was far more likely to kick it from 55m than Tyson nailing a set shot.

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
would be the best player ever if he didn't have to kick. let's put him on the table and see if we can get something half decent for him. there are certain players that played on Saturday that I'll never forgive for that performance. Dom is one, I don't want to have to look at that hair coupled with a Melbourne jumper for another eight years or so

Last edited:

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I still have high hopes for Tyson. He had an injury interrupted pre-season I'm pretty sure and I'd say he's had a good year overall. His kicking can let him down at times but he's still a quality player and will be an important component of our midfield. The one thing I'd love for him to get back is his impact on the scoreboard. That's dropped down since 2014. 2014 I thought he was terrific and he was impacting the scoreboard well for a midfielder and he looked like to me someone who can stand up in the big moments and become a match winner. We haven't really seen that since, but I still think Tyson has room for improvement and if he can regain his scoreboard impact whilst maintaining his ball-winning ability he can be a really important player for us going forward.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Frustrating player no doubt but I'm unconvinced we'll get anything at the trade table worth more than what he gives us. Some kid at pick 20-odd isn't going to help us play finals next season.
Mate, an 18 year old kid developing at Casey would be more helpful to the club than Dom's consistent turnovers. They are soul destroying and momentum killing and it happens week after week after week. If we get a decent mid with good foot skills in the offseason,Dom is the first out of that midfield IMO. His turnovers are far too costly and unlike Hunt who turns it over nearly as much, at least Hunt provides run and carry, Dom provides little else other than contested ball which we have other mids who can do it better. He's fast becoming simply a depth player. On the trade table for me..

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Mate, an 18 year old kid developing at Casey would be more helpful to the club than Dom's consistent turnovers. They are soul destroying and momentum killing and it happens week after week after week. If we get a decent mid with good foot skills in the offseason,Dom is the first out of that midfield IMO. His turnovers are far too costly and unlike Hunt who turns it over nearly as much, at least Hunt provides run and carry, Dom provides little else other than contested ball which we have other mids who can do it better. He's fast becoming simply a depth player. On the trade table for me..
I understand where you're coming from, his turnovers can be incredibly frustrating. However, he is our best two way runner of the mids, gets a lot of marks (I'd assume the most of all our mids) because he also runs to the right spots, has a really good balance of contested/uncontested footy and tackles a fair bit too. There is a reason Roos loves him.

All that is not to say I think he is untradeable -- clearly his turnovers hurt a lot otherwise he would an almost elite midfielder. But to trade him for picks would be foolishness, the chances of whatever picks we got actually being more value than Tyson are slim. If it he is part of a trade(s) to bring in a gun player then sure that would be reasonable

Other problems with trading him would be, a) pretty sure he's in contract and wouldn't be keen to leave, and b) when trying to lure players home from interstate it's probably not a good look to players we're currently trying to get that we're then happy to force them out the door a couple of years later.

Last edited:
A far cry from a bloke that was dubbed "the next Simon Black" when he came over.

He was outstanding in 2014 and for some of last year, but he just lacks any real weapons - slow to make decisions, lacks breakaway (or sustained) pace and is one of the worst kicks on our list which is saying something.

Bitterly disappointing that he has regressed this much.

A far cry from a bloke that was dubbed "the next Simon Black" when he came over.

He was outstanding in 2014 and for some of last year, but he just lacks any real weapons - slow to make decisions, lacks breakaway (or sustained) pace and is one of the worst kicks on our list which is saying something.

Bitterly disappointing that he has regressed this much.
Who said such a thing?

Viv Michie was an excellent kick(Grizzly Adams did have a beard). Its just that he couldn't really do anything else..
I'd say he was serviceable, but wouldn't go anywhere near as far as "excellent". To be fair, the sample size was pretty small though as I remember him having around six kicks for his entire career.

The thing that really worries me about Dom is not solely his ability to butcher the ball (it's either perfect or diabolical with him), but more the fact that he has had so much trouble with his knee the last couple of years.. it has to be holding him back as he hasn't done a preseason for a few years and that really resembles his drop off after 2014.. would love to see him get a preseason in and hopefully that may elevate his game again, but maybe that just isn't possible

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back