#12 Dom Tyson - traded to North for Preuss and a 4th

Demons Advocate

Senior List
Jul 11, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think Tyson is looking an excellent investment.

I'm not certain which word you hate there. I cringe a bit at phrases like 'midfield crop' but you actually made the comment after 'potential' which seems to be a fairly innocuous word.

I just remembered another thing I liked about the game. Watching the replay I'm pretty sure the commentators only said 'the old firm' once which is an improvement for Hawks games this year.

Was referring to potential. Barracking for Melbourne has ruined it for me and now I have an irrational dislike for the word. Hate hearing it applied to young players i.e "geez Sam Blease has potential to be XYZ". Every player has potential or they wouldn't get drafted.

Watching the replay I'm pretty sure the commentators only said 'the old firm' once which is an improvement for Hawks games this year.

Dwayne D*ckhead Russell also said something like "and the Hawks 2016 winning streak could almost be over" as Dom put us 23 points up with under 4 mins to go. Really? I reckon we're home Dwayne

Dwayne D*ckhead Russell also said something like "and the Hawks 2016 winning streak could almost be over" as Dom put us 23 points up with under 4 mins to go. Really? I reckon we're home Dwayne
To be fair I still wasn't quite ready to call it at that stage, but that's just the MFC syndrome shining through.

Dwayne should know better, but it's likely he was just spouting off a series of random cliches by that stage

To be fair I still wasn't quite ready to call it at that stage, but that's just the MFC syndrome shining through.

Dwayne should know better, but it's likely he was just spouting off a series of random cliches by that stage
I was happy by then, we were running all over them, up and about and playing with a confidence I haven't seen from the Dees in a long time.
It's a bit like when after a few comebacks from the North side of the late 90's where every week they'd say, "don't count the roos out of this one, shinboner spirit, blah blah"

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
In elite form at the moment.

Might not be the Dangerfield style superstar that everyone obsesses over, but I can see him being an underrated gun in the Jordan Lewis mould for a long time to come.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Needs to improve his field kicking still to be elite
Elite clearance player average around the ground

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Needs to improve his field kicking still to be elite
Elite clearance player average around the ground
I reckon his field kicking has improved actually. Doesn't turn it over as much as last year or even 2014.
Elite = Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Mitchell etc... I honestly don't see him getting to that level permanently but he's definitely good enough to be the next rung below. In fact he's probably already there.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Looks like a human tennis ball that accidentally went through a hot cycle.

Edit: hang on, I just noticed the bloke next to him that apparently has stuck about 50 Red Rock Deli crisps to his head. Poms are very peculiar.

I first read Red Rock as Cold Rock and thought he must've had some weird ice cream topping on his head...

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think Dom has elite traits but he has a lot of hard work to do to become an elite player
I think his clearance game is nice on the eye without being damaging like dangerfields appears to be.. kind of like Olivers already looking more dangerous when they aren't

One skill he does have is his ability to kick goals from 50, I'd like to see him take more risk and responsibilitie next year in this regard as Oliver Brayshaw and Petracca take more Centre bounces

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ton of improvement left in him at 23 and only 70-odd games.

KIf his two games against the Hawks last year could become a standard for 12-15 games a year then he'd be in Brownlow contention.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think his clearance game is nice on the eye without being damaging like dangerfields appears to be.. kind of like Olivers already looking more dangerous when they aren't

I might be missing something but can you explain this further? Are you saying Olivers clearances are more dangerous than Dom or Dangerfield (Or could be)?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Great news. An optimist would say we've signed him because we have sorted out Hogans contract so can move on other players, a cynic would say Hogan is definitely gone so they have plenty of free $$$ now.
Guessing at v best you're fence sitting.

I know what you mean though. It is what it is. If Hogan stays, great, but if he goes I feel a bit more capable of dealing with it now so long as there are some Doms, Claytons, Nathans, Jacks (all), Gus etc that do want to invest in the future of Melbourne. Dom is still young too - still a fair bit of space to improve further.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Guessing at v best you're fence sitting.

I know what you mean though. It is what it is. If Hogan stays, great, but if he goes I feel a bit more capable of dealing with it now so long as there are some Doms, Claytons, Nathans, Jacks (all), Gus etc that do want to invest in the future of Melbourne. Dom is still young too - still a fair bit of space to improve further.

I'll be stunned if Hogan stays with us

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I'll be stunned if Hogan stays with us
I'm down to fifty fifty, and I've been rigorously looking on the bright side. I have a suspicion though that the weird uncertainty is genuinely there is uncertainty. Nothing else makes much sense. I'm like you now though - I'd prefer the future bedded down either way in the next month then to watch this crap drag out another 12 months.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Great news. An optimist would say we've signed him because we have sorted out Hogans contract so can move on other players, a cynic would say Hogan is definitely gone so they have plenty of free $$$ now.
I prefer to think that it is all that cash freed up from delisting grimes, jones and Terlich!

Terlich was clearly destroying our cap hahaha.
I imagine grimes was on good coin though. The club would have made him top 10 or whatever it needs to be in order to counter FA. At the time he signed they would have been certain he was getting another contract after that one.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Terlich was clearly destroying our cap hahaha.
I imagine grimes was on good coin though. The club would have made him top 10 or whatever it needs to be in order to counter FA. At the time he signed they would have been certain he was getting another contract after that one.
Yeah Grimes was Restricted, so would have been one of our top earners. Grimes can at least take solace in that, spent most of the year in the VFL and got some seriously good coin for it.

Was never going anywhere, boy is Melbourne through and through. Still reckon he's a legitimate captaincy option someday even with Viney around (about a 5% chance but still), especially if he turns out to be the better midfielder.

Back