Past Josh P. Kennedy - King Kennedy, the contested possession king

20GWSSy19MKP204973244.jpg

Josh P Kennedy

Josh Kennedy led the Sydney Swans to back-to-back finals campaigns as the club’s sole skipper in 2017 and 2018, and has since led the team as a co-captain alongside Luke Parker and Dane Rampe. The top-class midfielder has compiled a glowing list of individual achievements since leaving Hawthorn for Sydney ahead of season 2010, collecting a 2012 premiership medal, three All Australian blazers and three Club Champion awards. Kennedy is instrumental to the Swans’ host of young midfielders learning their craft at the top level, including Oliver Florent, James Bell, James Rowbottom and Dylan Stephens. Draft history: 2006 AFL Draft 3rd round father-son selection (Hawthorn) No. 40 overall; 2009 AFL Draft traded by Hawthorn for No. 39 (Sam Grimley). Previous AFL club: (Hawthorn 2008-09: 13 games, 1 goal).

Josh Kennedy
DOB: 20 June 1988
DEBUT: 2008
DRAFT: #40, 2006 Father Son
RECRUITED FROM: East Sandr (Vic)/Xavier Coll (Vic)/Sandr U18/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I agree our record has slipped since he became captain but I’m going to spin it a different way.

I was very surprised when he was appointed sole captain, not that I didn’t think he wasn’t up to the job, but rather that we abandoned the multiple captains system that has worked so well for us since Maxfield stepped down mid 2005.

It may be only a simple thing such as sharing the off field responsibilities that lightens their load and allows a greater concentration on their on field performance.

At the time I thought Hanners would have made a fine co-captain but with his recent injury struggles this isn’t likely.

We will have to start considering the next batch including Rampe and Parker if we decide to revert to co-captaincy.

100% yes.
This was an error. I believe that we even should have kept one of Jack or Macca on for one more year as co captain to help the guy out. The Luke Parker or Ramps could have co captained with him until he was ready to pass the batten to have both Parker & Rampe. It has worked very well Grim as you say & should still be in place.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Is Josh regularly referred to as Joey by teammates and supporters? Was watching last night and James Brayshaw regularly called him as such. I found it quite annoying.

Thanks. I didn’t know that. Seems an unusual nickname for a guy named Josh.
It’s because his dad had the nickname Kanga

This guy is a swans great let’s make no mistake

But anyone else worried his body is stuffed? He was up and down last year and he just might have taken too much of a battering

His goal kicking has gone to s**t

And funnily enough as he falls a bit we fall because there’s no natural replacement anymore

Anyone else concerned hes close to done ? Hope I’m wrong

No replacement atm

Parker is best when he is number 2 or 3

Mitchell was the obvious as he can carry mids like Kennedy

Not sure anyone on the list looks remotely close to filling this void

How can we know?? Our two best junior mids aren't even playing as midfielders, Hewett is doing shutdown jobs. IMO if Horse doesn't pull the trigger on those three very soon they will never have a chance at becoming JPK-level.

No replacement atm

Parker is best when he is number 2 or 3

Mitchell was the obvious as he can carry mids like Kennedy

Not sure anyone on the list looks remotely close to filling this void

Rowbottom is the hope

Im thinking rowbottom is our best bet if hewett isnt released from tagging.

Ridiculous that Hewett spent a few years dominating as a ball-winner in the NEAFL now is played as a tagger. Dawson spent a few years dominating as a ball-winner in the NEAFL but has only played as a forward. Horse will probably decide Rowbottom would make a better small defender.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Ridiculous that Hewett spent a few years dominating as a ball-winner in the NEAFL now is played as a tagger. Dawson spent a few years dominating as a ball-winner in the NEAFL but has only played as a forward. Horse will probably decide Rowbottom would make a better small defender.

Hewett and Rowbottom both played midfield as a junior. Dawson was a medium forward.

Fox and Rose play a lot of midfield minutes in the NEAFL but I doubt I will see anyone here calling for them to spend midfield time at AFL level.

That’s not to say that Dawson won’t become an AFL level midfielder, but I keep hearing people here reference where players played as juniors and how they should play there at AFL level (McInerney is a winger and Stoddart is a half back?) but that doesn’t seem to apply to Dawson for some reason? (again I don’t think juniors mean all that much when entering AFL level but just picking up on what seems like a lack of consistency..)

Hewett is serving an apprenticeship as a tagger like many before him did. Don’t think it is that outlandish...

Back