Past Josh P. Kennedy - King Kennedy, the contested possession king

20GWSSy19MKP204973244.jpg

Josh P Kennedy

Josh Kennedy led the Sydney Swans to back-to-back finals campaigns as the club’s sole skipper in 2017 and 2018, and has since led the team as a co-captain alongside Luke Parker and Dane Rampe. The top-class midfielder has compiled a glowing list of individual achievements since leaving Hawthorn for Sydney ahead of season 2010, collecting a 2012 premiership medal, three All Australian blazers and three Club Champion awards. Kennedy is instrumental to the Swans’ host of young midfielders learning their craft at the top level, including Oliver Florent, James Bell, James Rowbottom and Dylan Stephens. Draft history: 2006 AFL Draft 3rd round father-son selection (Hawthorn) No. 40 overall; 2009 AFL Draft traded by Hawthorn for No. 39 (Sam Grimley). Previous AFL club: (Hawthorn 2008-09: 13 games, 1 goal).

Josh Kennedy
DOB: 20 June 1988
DEBUT: 2008
DRAFT: #40, 2006 Father Son
RECRUITED FROM: East Sandr (Vic)/Xavier Coll (Vic)/Sandr U18/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
No but seriously with Kennedy and Hanners slowing down you have Parker and Heeney left without much else i remember in 2014 we used to have 8 mids rotating in the middle.

We don’t have him now so it’s done

I don’t disagree

But also we can’t t go back over the trade every loss

Kennedy is declining quicker than hoped so is jack and Hannebery too

Wether it’s permanent who knows surely hanners comes good at least and Kennedy is still ok

It’s what we do now

canadamatt

Senior List
Sep 1, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Kennedy was good today (not great) until he got a knock to the knee...then he really slowed down in the 4th. Wouldn't be surprised if he is out against the Injuryingwood

We don’t have him now so it’s done

I don’t disagree

But also we can’t go back over the trade every loss

Kennedy is declining quicker than hoped so is jack and Hannebery too

Wether it’s permanent who knows surely hanners comes good at least and Kennedy is still ok

It’s what we do now

I wish everyone on here could get that through their heads, if we knew then what we know now we would probably never let Mitchell go, but we did and it's done GTFOI

I wish everyone on here could get that through their heads, if we knew then what we know now we would probably never let Mitchell go, but we did and it's done GTFOI

It’s hard not too though :p

You picked it quite early in the season

I don’t think the drop of would be quite so bad looking if we had Mitchell

Jpk has been a warrior

But yeah you can see it, if only he could say play 60 percent mid time

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
If kennedy is slowing then the club needs to make the call. Give him a reduced role ie 50/50 time mid and forward and back dawson in full time. Give dawson the experience now while he still has kennedy to share the responsibility. Its too late if kennedy pulls the pin and then we throw someone like dawson to the wolves. Apprentices dont learn without tradesmen

If kennedy is slowing then the club needs to make the call. Give him a reduced role ie 50/50 time mid and forward and back dawson in full time. Give dawson the experience now while he still has kennedy to share the responsibility. Its too late if kennedy pulls the pin and then we throw someone like dawson to the wolves. Apprentices dont learn without tradesmen

Yep something like that

If it is Dawson make him start and do 50-55 percent and Kennedy in bursts

Kennedy forward or even back a bit

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Keenedy like ROK won’t make it as a forward late in there careers imo
While he wont be a force up there, the fact that it will allow him extra time to rest will mean he can go harder in shorter burts in the mids will make it worth while,also his work at clearances inside 50 could be valuable aswell. He is an adequate shot for goal and has reasonable hands. I dont think he will be an all australian up there but he could prove to be valuable

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I think Kennedy being done is very overstated. He's had a good year and I agree we can't allow him to carry us anymore but I think he has a few good years left.

What I'm beginning to think is that he's not the ideal captain. He's fantastic as a leader and will lead by example but the club has not been functioning consistently well since he took over. I'm wondering if relieving him of that responsibility would see him regain some of the lost ground as a player (not a reach imo) and let another younger voice take ownership of a young squad.

I think Kennedy being done is very overstated. He's had a good year and I agree we can't allow him to carry us anymore but I think he has a few good years left.

What I'm beginning to think is that he's not the ideal captain. He's fantastic as a leader and will lead by example but the club has not been functioning consistently well since he took over. I'm wondering if relieving him of that responsibility would see him regain some of the lost ground as a player (not a reach imo) and let another younger voice take ownership of a young squad.
I agree. There have been on-field leadership issues, and while it is impossible to know from the outside, I have been wondering the same...

Not meant to be in any way disrespectful...

I agree our record has slipped since he became captain but I’m going to spin it a different way.

I was very surprised when he was appointed sole captain, not that I didn’t think he wasn’t up to the job, but rather that we abandoned the multiple captains system that has worked so well for us since Maxfield stepped down mid 2005.

It may be only a simple thing such as sharing the off field responsibilities that lightens their load and allows a greater concentration on their on field performance.

At the time I thought Hanners would have made a fine co-captain but with his recent injury struggles this isn’t likely.

We will have to start considering the next batch including Rampe and Parker if we decide to revert to co-captaincy.

Back