Past Josh P. Kennedy - King Kennedy, the contested possession king

Remove this Banner Ad

20GWSSy19MKP204973244.jpg

Josh P Kennedy

Josh Kennedy led the Sydney Swans to back-to-back finals campaigns as the club’s sole skipper in 2017 and 2018, and has since led the team as a co-captain alongside Luke Parker and Dane Rampe. The top-class midfielder has compiled a glowing list of individual achievements since leaving Hawthorn for Sydney ahead of season 2010, collecting a 2012 premiership medal, three All Australian blazers and three Club Champion awards. Kennedy is instrumental to the Swans’ host of young midfielders learning their craft at the top level, including Oliver Florent, James Bell, James Rowbottom and Dylan Stephens. Draft history: 2006 AFL Draft 3rd round father-son selection (Hawthorn) No. 40 overall; 2009 AFL Draft traded by Hawthorn for No. 39 (Sam Grimley). Previous AFL club: (Hawthorn 2008-09: 13 games, 1 goal).

Josh Kennedy
DOB: 20 June 1988
DEBUT: 2008
DRAFT: #40, 2006 Father Son
RECRUITED FROM: East Sandr (Vic)/Xavier Coll (Vic)/Sandr U18/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
God I love this guy. By his incredibly high standards, he's not been as consistent as normal the last two years, but he's doing everything he can to lead this side through this rebuilding.

He's got a few good years left ahead of him I think. And for his sake, I hope we can put a midfield around him to help him go gracefully over the next handful of years and maybe even deep into the finals one more time.

God I love this guy. By his incredibly high standards, he's not been as consistent as normal the last two years, but he's doing everything he can to lead this side through this rebuilding.

He's got a few good years left ahead of him I think. And for his sake, I hope we can put a midfield around him to help him go gracefully over the next handful of years and maybe even deep into the finals one more time.

Been a star needs help to make it a few years though

Mumford certainly gained his gaze, I wonder what was said. It was a forceful reaction from Joey as he swamped the big blowhard orange oaf.

For all the negativity around this season, not enough is being said about Joey.

I'm glad to see JPK back to being JPK

Kennedy has improved on last year but imo hes still on a steep decline,winning the footy but he can no longer put the team on his back and win the contests he used to be able to

Kennedy has improved on last year but imo hes still on a steep decline,winning the footy but he can no longer put the team on his back and win the contests he used to be able to
He’s doing exactly that. WTF are you talking about?

You are right he is on the decline, but that happens to every footballer.

However what an absolute gun he has been and has carried a pretty big load for years now, also he is one of the most humble blokes you could ever meet.

I met him in his first year at a Hawthorn function and he was so polite and humble and shy.

The guy is respected by every football follower in the land. Yes it hurts that he is not a Hawk legend like his dad and grandfather but he will not only go down as a Swans champion, but as a champion of our game.

Shoutout to our midfield

5th in the league for clearances
4th in the league for stoppage clearances
9th in the league for contested possessions
16th in the league for disposals
12th in the league for tackles

Shoutout to our midfield

5th in the league for clearances
4th in the league for stoppage clearances
9th in the league for contested possessions
16th in the league for disposals
12th in the league for tackles

all at age 43 or whatever he is in carrying team mate years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id like see the coach give Hewett free rein as an an attacking inside mid and send some tough nut in to be a negative mid (Mills?).

I was literally just thinking about someone else to ‘take over’ from Hewett and wondering what Mills would be like in the role.

JPK has been epic throughout his career but is seriously on the wane.

Hewett is now our number 1 inside mid by a mile.

Id like see the coach give Hewett free rein as an attacking inside mid and send some tough nut in to be a negative mid (Mills?).

I absolutely disagree. Kennedy easily maintains that mantle. Hewett, if given the opportunity to play exclusively as an inside mid, might get there but he still has a long way to go to take that from Kennedy.

He has actually improved heaps from last year and the talk is about his decline?
I think the thread title says everything people need to know

I expressed concerns at the time of his appointment and I still think much of Kennedy's "decline" through 2017/2018 was due to juggling a sole captaincy in a very young team. This year he's found a new lease of life. He's far from done.

To paraphrase Mark Twain "Reports of his death are greatly exaggerated"

Happy birthday to our midfield, 31 today!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back