Past Josh P. Kennedy - King Kennedy, the contested possession king

Remove this Banner Ad

20GWSSy19MKP204973244.jpg

Josh P Kennedy

Josh Kennedy led the Sydney Swans to back-to-back finals campaigns as the club’s sole skipper in 2017 and 2018, and has since led the team as a co-captain alongside Luke Parker and Dane Rampe. The top-class midfielder has compiled a glowing list of individual achievements since leaving Hawthorn for Sydney ahead of season 2010, collecting a 2012 premiership medal, three All Australian blazers and three Club Champion awards. Kennedy is instrumental to the Swans’ host of young midfielders learning their craft at the top level, including Oliver Florent, James Bell, James Rowbottom and Dylan Stephens. Draft history: 2006 AFL Draft 3rd round father-son selection (Hawthorn) No. 40 overall; 2009 AFL Draft traded by Hawthorn for No. 39 (Sam Grimley). Previous AFL club: (Hawthorn 2008-09: 13 games, 1 goal).

Josh Kennedy
DOB: 20 June 1988
DEBUT: 2008
DRAFT: #40, 2006 Father Son
RECRUITED FROM: East Sandr (Vic)/Xavier Coll (Vic)/Sandr U18/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

He undeniably didn't play that good a game but it's a sign of his inherent ability that he played less than 75% of game time and still won 21 touches and laid 10 tackles.

I hope he's able to adapt his body/game over the pre-season to be in better shape to improve on this year. He's not finished yet.

The thing with JPK is it hard to tell whether he is injured or not. I did not see him getting treatment on the bench.

The guy is such a Spartan. It is almost as if he could bust a leg and his face would barely show a flicker beyond annoyance he could not get to the next contest.

He undeniably didn't play that good a game but it's a sign of his inherent ability that he played less than 75% of game time and still won 21 touches and laid 10 tackles.

I hope he's able to adapt his body/game over the pre-season to be in better shape to improve on this year. He's not finished yet.

Aye. However I think the planning for next year may require managed game time time and missing some games.

I think we definitely have to find a way to not play Kennedy 100% in the guts to allow Hewett, Florent, Rowbottom etc. to take more minutes.

I'd love to see Kennedy spend time training specifically as a forward over the pre-season. In the same vein as Selwood playing HB/wing in Geelong or David Mundy playing forward for Freo. It's tricky because his lack of pace, but I think he is smart enough that he could adapt to playing as a forward if given training time there. Still play like 2/3 of his gametime in the guts because we need him there, but to be able to go forward and have an impact on the game.

I think we definitely have to find a way to not play Kennedy 100% in the guts to allow Hewett, Florent, Rowbottom etc. to take more minutes.

I'd love to see Kennedy spend time training specifically as a forward over the pre-season. In the same vein as Selwood playing HB/wing in Geelong or David Mundy playing forward for Freo. It's tricky because his lack of pace, but I think he is smart enough that he could adapt to playing as a forward if given training time there. Still play like 2/3 of his gametime in the guts because we need him there, but to be able to go forward and have an impact on the game.

I don't see why we can't rotate Kennedy and to a lesser extent Parker through the forward line more often, especially when we're gifting games to players like Menzel, Rose & Jack.

Really finished the year off strong, stil plenty of life left

Showed some doubters he is a threat up forward as well. Better management of his time on ball will help extend his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was reflecting on getting JPK.

remember being happy, mcglynn i barely knew of, but rated JPK

however thought he might be the next Jude Bolton (no offence to jude) but hes been one of the games best mids,

his big game performances, his guts, his will to win, his skills, just about our greatest of the decade, actually would sayhe is our best 2010-2019

was reflecting on getting JPK.

remember being happy, mcglynn i barely knew of, but rated JPK

however thought he might be the next Jude Bolton (no offence to jude) but hes been one of the games best mids,

his big game performances, his guts, his will to win, his skills, just about our greatest of the decade, actually would sayhe is our best 2010-2019

Kennedy would be picked in a greatest Swans 22 of all time. No mean feat given the midfielders who have come through our club. He's not in the Goodes, Skilton, Kelly group, but he's absolutely in the next group under imo.

Kennedy would be picked in a greatest Swans 22 of all time. No mean feat given the midfielders who have come through our club. He's not in the Goodes, Skilton, Kelly group, but he's absolutely in the next group under imo.

ill have to put more thought into it

but id be tempted to rate him ahead of kelly or at least on par

I didn't see most of Kelly's career so I'm going on the reputation more than anything. I imagine Kelly watchers will back him over Kennedy, I'd back Kennedy big-time against almost any Swan in history. Could be my favourite Swan of all time.

I didn't see most of Kelly's career so I'm going on the reputation more than anything. I imagine Kelly watchers will back him over Kennedy, I'd back Kennedy big-time against almost any Swan in history. Could be my favourite Swan of all time.

Kelly stood out in a s**t side, then in a good side, he was so determined as a player, better forward than jpk imo

Really interesting comparison and very different players. Kelly was a smaller (by today's standards) attacking midfielder who was also consistently one of the leading tacklers in the league by the low standards of the 90s. As a sidenote, Kelly would not even rate in the top 100 tacklers in the league on today's numbers. Kelly averaged almost a goal a game across his career which is elite in today's standards.

Kennedy is a much stronger ballwinner with sustained higher possession numbers over his career and pretty much unsurpassed in clearance ability. Kennedy is a lower goalscorer (0.3 less than Kelly) but has that extra string to his bow as a dangerous contested marking target.

A good indication of Kennedy's ability around goals being undersold sometimes. Kicking 150 goals in 250 games is pretty great for a guy who spends like 98% of his time on the ground in the guts of the midfield.

Absolutely, his goal kicking had it’s distance back this year compared to last imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back