Past Josh P. Kennedy - King Kennedy, the contested possession king

Remove this Banner Ad

20GWSSy19MKP204973244.jpg

Josh P Kennedy

Josh Kennedy led the Sydney Swans to back-to-back finals campaigns as the club’s sole skipper in 2017 and 2018, and has since led the team as a co-captain alongside Luke Parker and Dane Rampe. The top-class midfielder has compiled a glowing list of individual achievements since leaving Hawthorn for Sydney ahead of season 2010, collecting a 2012 premiership medal, three All Australian blazers and three Club Champion awards. Kennedy is instrumental to the Swans’ host of young midfielders learning their craft at the top level, including Oliver Florent, James Bell, James Rowbottom and Dylan Stephens. Draft history: 2006 AFL Draft 3rd round father-son selection (Hawthorn) No. 40 overall; 2009 AFL Draft traded by Hawthorn for No. 39 (Sam Grimley). Previous AFL club: (Hawthorn 2008-09: 13 games, 1 goal).

Josh Kennedy
DOB: 20 June 1988
DEBUT: 2008
DRAFT: #40, 2006 Father Son
RECRUITED FROM: East Sandr (Vic)/Xavier Coll (Vic)/Sandr U18/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Still hate the title. I know it’s just humour but it’s insulting AF to Hanners and to a lesser extent Parker.
Didn't Parker win 2 B&Fs in Grand Final Years from memory as well? His QF vs Freo in 14 in particular was an amazing contest again Fyfe

It was intended to be insulting to Parker in particular & that it is still hasn't been changed says plenty about our board.
Well this is the very first I've heard about any issue with it... Hard to change something when we have no idea anyone has a problem with it don't you think?

The thread title has been changed.

Please PM me if you take any offence to it (except you The King! I'm not listening to you.)

It’s a compliment to Kennedy to be associated with our poster of the decade

Where’s my badge

Didn't Parker win 2 B&Fs in Grand Final Years from memory as well? His QF vs Freo in 14 in particular was an amazing contest again Fyfe

And Hanners a Norm Smith! (Love ya ROK but that medal is not yours!!)

I have my qualms with Parker but one thing I never bought into was the "he doesn't stand up in finals". Without Parker we're not even in the GF in 2014!

On second thought, maybe we should've dropped him before the finals then :huh:

And Hanners a Norm Smith! (Love ya ROK but that medal is not yours!!)

I have my qualms with Parker but one thing I never bought into was the "he doesn't stand up in finals". Without Parker we're not even in the GF in 2014!

On second thought, maybe we should've dropped him before the finals then :huh:

its more parker has never played well in a grand final is the knock on him

hanners agree dont win the flag without him

its more parker has never played well in a grand final is the knock on him

hanners agree dont win the flag without him

Won't get any arguments from me, I thought he was ordinary AF in both grand finals. Think that's what pissed me off about 2016 so much is that all I heard about was how blokes wanted retribution for 2014 or in the case of Rohan, McGlynn etc a chance to redeem their 2012 absences, then they came out and served the same s**t a second time around.

*still should've won if the comp was fair

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one expected Langford (I think it was him) to a: tag Parker and b: to have the only good game of his entire career. Between that, the beatdown on Hanners and just some better play we never stood a chance

what a pickup, we got him (and mcglynn) for picks 39 46 and 70 what a steal

he has become one of the best midfielders in the comp and one of the clubs all time greats in my opinion. It has been a pleasure to watch him play for this club, he always stands up for us, so many times he has carried this midfield on his back.

3 all australians and robbed of a 4th at a minimum
3 best and fairests, close several other times , perhaps unluckily
captain
premiership player
finals stats even better thab regular, a big game player

what a champion, a favourite of mine,

Deserved a Norm Smith if the umpiring was fair

One of the best players I've seen in the club. Incredibly underrated.

Between 2010 and 2019: 2nd most disposals , 9th most Brownlow Votes, 1st most Contested Possessions, 1st most clearances, 7th most inside 50s, 2nd most tackles.

Champion

I desperately hope he can reach 300 games. That will top off a career which I think will end up with him in the very top echelon of Swans' players. Alongside the holy trio - Kelly, Goodes and Skilton.

Not just won 3 Skiltons, he finished top 3 in his first 7 years consecutively and top 5 in his first 9 years consecutively. It's outrageous consistency throughout a decade in which we were regularly making grand finals.

Add on to that he's back to playing really well this year after a down year in 2019, he's just the best. My absolute favourite.

He's the definition of a prodigy, not a year goes by where he isn't near the top of the competition in multiple midfield categories.
The only reason we have the perception that he's slowing down is because of the insane bar that he's set for himself for such a long period of time with us.
Given his style of play, the fact that he's still able to keep up at 32 years is godly.

Future AFL Hall of Fame certainty.

Hope the boys get a big win at home for this legend. 💕

Career Statistical Rankings
Ranked 8th in Total Tackles in 2020 ● Ranked 4th in Total Contested Possessions in 2020
● Ranked 4th in Total Clearances in 2020 ● Ranked 3rd in Centre Clearances Per Game in 2020
● Ranked 6th in Clearances Per Game in 2020 ● Ranked 7th in Contested Possessions Per Game in 2020
● Ranked 7th in Total Stoppage Clearances in 2020 ● Ranked 2nd in Total Centre Clearances in 2020
● Ranked 5th in Stoppage Clearances Per Game in 2019 ● Ranked 10th in Clearances Per Game in 2019
● Ranked 6th in Tackles Per Game in 2019 ● Ranked 8th in Contested Possessions Per Game in 2018
● Ranked 7th in Total Handballs in 2018 ● Ranked 8th in Total Contested Possessions in 2018
● Ranked 8th in Total Clearances in 2018 ● Ranked 9th in Total Centre Clearances in 2018
● Ranked 5th in Total Centre Clearances in 2017 ● Ranked 9th in Total Clearances in 2017
● Ranked 3rd in Contested Possessions Per Game in 2017 ● Ranked 7th in Total Contested Possessions in 2017
● Ranked 4th in Clearances Per Game in 2017 ● Ranked 7th in Centre Clearances Per Game in 2017
● Ranked 10th in Stoppage Clearances Per Game in 2017 ● Ranked 6th in Handballs Per Game in 2017
● Ranked 4th in Total Effective Disposals in 2016 ● Ranked 4th in Total Inside 50s in 2016
● Ranked 9th in Total Goal Assists in 2016 ● Ranked 1st in Total Handballs in 2016
● Ranked 2nd in Total Disposals in 2016 ● Ranked 3rd in Total Supercoach Score in 2016
● Ranked 5th in Total AFL Fantasy Score in 2016 ● Ranked 1st in Total Contested Possessions in 2016
● Ranked 4th in Total Centre Clearances in 2016 ● Ranked 1st in Total Clearances in 2016
● Ranked 7th in Total Score Involvements in 2016 ● Ranked 1st in Total Stoppage Clearances in 2016
● Ranked 10th in Inside 50s Per Game in 2016 ● Ranked 2nd in Handballs Per Game in 2016
● Ranked 3rd in Disposals Per Game in 2016 ● Ranked 6th in Supercoach Score Per Game in 2016
● Ranked 7th in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game in 2016 ● Ranked 1st in Contested Possessions Per Game in 2016
● Ranked 2nd in Clearances Per Game in 2016 ● Ranked 2nd in Stoppage Clearances Per Game in 2016
● Ranked 1st in Total Contested Possessions in 2015 ● Ranked 9th in Total Effective Disposals in 2015
● Ranked 4th in Total Supercoach Score in 2015 ● Ranked 2nd in Total AFL Fantasy Score in 2015
● Ranked 2nd in Total Clearances in 2015 ● Ranked 5th in Total Tackles in 2015
● Ranked 1st in Total Stoppage Clearances in 2015 ● Ranked 7th in Total Centre Clearances in 2015
● Ranked 3rd in Stoppage Clearances Per Game in 2015 ● Ranked 7th in Total Inside 50s in 2015
● Ranked 7th in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game in 2015 ● Ranked 5th in Clearances Per Game in 2015
● Ranked 2nd in Disposals Per Game in 2015 ● Ranked 2nd in Contested Possessions Per Game in 2015
● Ranked 2nd in Total Handballs in 2015 ● Ranked 8th in Supercoach Score Per Game in 2015
● Ranked 2nd in Contested Possessions Per Game in 2014 ● Ranked 3rd in Total Disposals in 2015
● Ranked 2nd in Total Disposals in 2014 ● Ranked 2nd in Handballs Per Game in 2015
● Ranked 7th in Total AFL Fantasy Score in 2014 ● Ranked 1st in Total Handballs in 2014
● Ranked 1st in Handballs Per Game in 2014 ● Ranked 8th in Total Supercoach Score in 2014
● Ranked 8th in Clearances Per Game in 2014 ● Ranked 1st in Total Contested Possessions in 2014
● Ranked 1st in Handballs Per Game in 2013 ● Ranked 3rd in Total Clearances in 2014
● Ranked 2nd in Clearances Per Game in 2013 ● Ranked 3rd in Disposals Per Game in 2014
● Ranked 4th in Total Disposals in 2013 ● Ranked 1st in Total Clearances in 2013
● Ranked 1st in Total Contested Possessions in 2013 ● Ranked 1st in Contested Possessions Per Game in 2013
● Ranked 1st in Total Handballs in 2012 ● Ranked 1st in Total Handballs in 2013
● Ranked 4th in Total AFL Fantasy Score in 2012 ● Ranked 7th in Total Supercoach Score in 2013
● Ranked 5th in Total Disposals in 2012 ● Ranked 8th in Total Effective Disposals in 2013
● Ranked 1st in Total Contested Possessions in 2012 ● Ranked 1st in Clearances Per Game in 2012
● Ranked 9th in Disposals Per Game in 2012 ● Ranked 1st in Total Supercoach Score in 2012
● Ranked 1st in Contested Possessions Per Game in 2012 ● Ranked 1st in Total Clearances in 2012
● Ranked 1st in Total Clearances in 2011 ● Ranked 5th in Total Effective Disposals in 2012
● Ranked 1st in Clearances Per Game in 2011 ● Ranked 2nd in Handballs Per Game in 2012
● Ranked 6th in Supercoach Score Per Game in 2012 ● Ranked 3rd in Contested Possessions Per Game in 2011
● Ranked 2nd in Total Contested Possessions in 2011 ● Ranked 9th in Total Clearances in 2010

It pissed me off in that coaches tribute to him the other week on CH7 that they kept referring to him as a "star" and "under-rated" and "hard at it". Just the same old BS clichés you would use if you were celebrating a Liam Shiels, or a Joel Corey or a David Mundy's milestones. No disrespect to those great players, but it's like they're blind to the fact that Kennedy is a genuine great of this competition, not to mention a monolith of our club, and not just a very good player who gave opposition teams headaches.

He's dominated in some of the biggest games over the last decade, been the single most driving force behind a three-time grand final team, and also changed the game by his sheer existence as a 188cm, 95kg midfielder in it.

When you think of the last decade of footy, he's been one of the true titans of this era and his name deserves to be associated from this generation alongside the likes of Buddy, Ablett, Martin, Pendlebury, Hodge, S. Mitchell, Fyfe and Dangerfield (IMO his career is greater than a few of theirs.)

^ The above is the context he deserves to be spoken of in come Thursday night. Not just the one that got away for Hawthorn and became a superstar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back