Past Josh P. Kennedy - King Kennedy, the contested possession king

Remove this Banner Ad

20GWSSy19MKP204973244.jpg

Josh P Kennedy

Josh Kennedy led the Sydney Swans to back-to-back finals campaigns as the club’s sole skipper in 2017 and 2018, and has since led the team as a co-captain alongside Luke Parker and Dane Rampe. The top-class midfielder has compiled a glowing list of individual achievements since leaving Hawthorn for Sydney ahead of season 2010, collecting a 2012 premiership medal, three All Australian blazers and three Club Champion awards. Kennedy is instrumental to the Swans’ host of young midfielders learning their craft at the top level, including Oliver Florent, James Bell, James Rowbottom and Dylan Stephens. Draft history: 2006 AFL Draft 3rd round father-son selection (Hawthorn) No. 40 overall; 2009 AFL Draft traded by Hawthorn for No. 39 (Sam Grimley). Previous AFL club: (Hawthorn 2008-09: 13 games, 1 goal).

Josh Kennedy
DOB: 20 June 1988
DEBUT: 2008
DRAFT: #40, 2006 Father Son
RECRUITED FROM: East Sandr (Vic)/Xavier Coll (Vic)/Sandr U18/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
No sure anyone is disrespecting him.

He has been a champ of the club but it always ends eventually.
That's hardly a revelation or Kels would still be playing.

The only disrespect is in not recognising how much he continues to contribute to our midfield or how much he could still add, even if he were to play forward.

How long Kennedy plays on is really dependent on how fast our young players can improve, enough to at least get close to JPK's current output. How many mids do we have who can do better his average of 26 disposals, 6 clearances, 3 inside 50s and 6 tackles/game ? (Answer Parker just pips him on disposals). Rowbum and Florent might one day be very good mids but they're not yet near Kennedy's class or output.

We recruited/developed Mitchell, Hanners and even Jones to ensure continuity but we lost them. Now we have to try to bring young mids up to speed quickly while still remaining competitive on ball. That probably means Kennedy lessening his role in the midfield, probably through swapping time in a forward role. Perhaps that means Heeney, Blakey or even Papley spending more time in the middle, though we also have some young mids who might show the development we need. Fortunately we have some flexibility but we'd better get the mix right.

Like it or not Kennedy is still one of our very best inside mids and we're in trouble if he doesn't play on for a couple more years. In the worst case scenario we might have to trade some of our young potential talent for a bull midfielder.

That's hardly a revelation or Kels would still be playing.

The only disrespect is in not recognising how much he continues to contribute to our midfield or how much he could still add, even if he were to play forward.

How long Kennedy plays on is really dependent on how fast our young players can improve, enough to at least get close to JPK's current output. How many mids do we have who can do better his average of 26 disposals, 6 clearances, 3 inside 50s and 6 tackles/game ? (Answer Parker just pips him on disposals). Rowbum and Florent might one day be very good mids but they're not yet near Kennedy's class or output.

We recruited/developed Mitchell, Hanners and even Jones to ensure continuity but we lost them. Now we have to try to bring young mids up to speed quickly while still remaining competitive on ball. That probably means Kennedy lessening his role in the midfield, probably through swapping time in a forward role. Perhaps that means Heeney, Blakey or even Papley spending more time in the middle, though we also have some young mids who might show the development we need. Fortunately we have some flexibility but we'd better get the mix right.

Like it or not Kennedy is still one of our very best inside mids and we're in trouble if he doesn't play on for a couple more years. In the worst case scenario we might have to trade some of our young potential talent for a bull midfielder.

Per the bolded, I am not sure Kennedy playing on or not makes a difference to our present or future fortunes tbh. I realise that sounds strange to say about a midfielder posting the kind of numbers you provide, but I no longer see him as just the indisputable, match-winning asset he once was. His pros and cons are far more balanced now, which is the case with every single player once father time catches up with them.

You are right there is no younger Swans matching his output, statistically speaking, yet. But we have a better record without JPK over the last two seasons (44%) than we have with him (30%). There are obviously a number of factors that contribute to this, but one of the most glaring is the opportunity JPK's absence has handed to others, and how the team has benefitted from that.

A few examples:

Round 19, 2019 vs North - George Hewett has 29 disposals, 5 tackles, 9 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 20 contested possessions.

Round 12, 2019 vs West Coast - George Hewett has 29 disposals, 1 goal, 7 clearances, 9 contested possessions.

Round 8, 2020 vs Hawthorn - James Rowbottom has 18 disposals, 8 inside 50s, 11 contested possessions. In the same match, Ollie Florent has 20 disposals, 5 inside 50s, 9 contested possessions. (Keep in mind these numbers would be higher in full-length matches.)

Round 12, 2020 vs GWS - James Rowbottom has 20 disposals, 1 goal, 6 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 9 contested possessions. In the same match, Nick Blakey has 18 disposals, 2 goals, 500 metres gained.

These numbers very clearly show instances where the team has won without JPK, and with a young midfielder playing a starring role in said wins. This is not to say that JPK isn't an asset to the team, but rather that our fortunes aren't dependent on him like they would've been when he was a top 5 player in the comp. And that is a good thing!

He's a legend of the club, and a champion of his era across the entire competition. Hewett being fitter, Rowbottom being faster, Florent being more agile, and Blakey being cleaner doesn't change that legacy he has built. As you implied, JPK himself knows the game. He was the up and comer who edged out names like Jude Bolton, Ryan O'Keefe and Brett Kirk from our midfield, and I imagine he'd be quietly honoured if those coming up can do the same to him.

So respectfully, I resent the notion that the fate of this team is inextricably linked to how JPK performs or how long he sticks around for. Make no mistake, the fate of this team lies in the hands of this next generation, and I think it's in as good hands as we could possibly ask for.

Per the bolded, I am not sure Kennedy playing on or not makes a difference to our present or future fortunes tbh. I realise that sounds strange to say about a midfielder posting the kind of numbers you provide, but I no longer see him as just the indisputable, match-winning asset he once was. His pros and cons are far more balanced now, which is the case with every single player once father time catches up with them.

You are right there is no younger Swans matching his output, statistically speaking, yet. But we have a better record without JPK over the last two seasons (44%) than we have with him (30%). There are obviously a number of factors that contribute to this, but one of the most glaring is the opportunity JPK's absence has handed to others, and how the team has benefitted from that.

A few examples:

Round 19, 2019 vs North - George Hewett has 29 disposals, 5 tackles, 9 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 20 contested possessions.

Round 12, 2019 vs West Coast - George Hewett has 29 disposals, 1 goal, 7 clearances, 9 contested possessions.

Round 8, 2020 vs Hawthorn - James Rowbottom has 18 disposals, 8 inside 50s, 11 contested possessions. In the same match, Ollie Florent has 20 disposals, 5 inside 50s, 9 contested possessions. (Keep in mind these numbers would be higher in full-length matches.)

Round 12, 2020 vs GWS - James Rowbottom has 20 disposals, 1 goal, 6 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 9 contested possessions. In the same match, Nick Blakey has 18 disposals, 2 goals, 500 metres gained.

These numbers very clearly show instances where the team has won without JPK, and with a young midfielder playing a starring role in said wins. This is not to say that JPK isn't an asset to the team, but rather that our fortunes aren't dependent on him like they would've been when he was a top 5 player in the comp. And that is a good thing!

He's a legend of the club, and a champion of his era across the entire competition. Hewett being fitter, Rowbottom being faster, Florent being more agile, and Blakey being cleaner doesn't change that legacy he has built. As you implied, JPK himself knows the game. He was the up and comer who edged out names like Jude Bolton, Ryan O'Keefe and Brett Kirk from our midfield, and I imagine he'd be quietly honoured if those coming up can do the same to him.

So respectfully, I resent the notion that the fate of this team is inextricably linked to how JPK performs or how long he sticks around for. Make no mistake, the fate of this team lies in the hands of this next generation, and I think it's in as good hands as we could possibly ask for.
Really great post Caesar!! :thumbsu:

A few examples:

My comments were in response to calls that Kennedy should retire. How do you get this idea that anyone is putting forward the notion you claim to resent ? There's no single player that can determine the fate of any team, short of maybe Dustin Martin in a Grand Final, and I've never claimed Kennedy was indespensible. Of course the younger mids get more possessions when Kennedy's out, they still don't get more than he gets or have anywhere near the impact. The output of Rowbottom you quoted is still less than Parker's or Kennedy's average output.

We were reminded of the need for midfield depth when Hewett's injury meant he had almost no impact in 2020. You selectively quoted stats from the 2 games we won when Kennedy was absent but neglected to mention that in each case it was a dominant performance by Parker that got us over the line. Round 12 was the thrashing of GWS where just about every Swan played well. Yet while Kennedy was absent we also got beaten heaps and were completely smashed by the Saints with only Parker (27 disposals) and Florent (20) having much midfield impact consequently the ball spent an eternity in our backline. With Rowbottom struggling and Hewett missing we could have done with Kennedy. We didn't win many games overall in 2020 but when Kennedy was available the games we won were when he dominated.

Stats aside, go back and have a look at the Round 3 North game last year. North were riding high after smashing GWS the week before with a fierce attack on the contested ball and the ball carrier. As we reeled under the relentless pressure in the first quarter and they jumped to a two goal lead Kennedy (figuratively) took the game by the scruff of its neck. He was like a raging bull at every contest and in the thick of every contest. Both he and Florent had 22 disposals but there the comparison ends. If only there was a stat for how many players Kennedy threw aside, often several at a time, how many times he stopped North players from extracting the ball from a pack or how many opposition players he bumped, shirt-fronted, intimidated, harrassed or left dazed and hurt on the field. He set the tone for the Swans' reply with a statement of "You wanna play rough, I'll show you rough ?" He laid twice the tackles of Parker and Rowbottom combined and three times as many as Florent. Much of his work just doesn't show up on the stats sheet but it inspires our young mids and sets a standard, just as Kirk, Jude and Kels did before him.

So yeah, all those calling for the retirement of Kennedy ought to give it a bit more thought. I firmly believe we should look to the future. I'm a huge fan of guys like Florent, Rowbottom and Blakey and I'm an eternal optimist about our team. It's great that we have some real talent coming into the midfield, and that's exactly what we need for out future, as Kennedy's not getting younger. But while he's around he allows us to maintain the strongest possible midfiled while the younger guys come up to speed. If a young player can have enough impact in the midfield to allow us the luxury of playing Kennedy forward then that's exactly what we need to be doing. We still have to make sure there's enough talent in our engine room to better the opposition.

I agree with you that we've a lot to be optimistic about, I just don't believe we have such a glut of midfield riches that we should push our 2nd best midfielder to pasture just yet. When Hewett and/or Parker is out we can't yet rely on Rowbottom, Florent or Blakey to consistently hold up our midfield, especially if we face a very strong opposition midfield. How long would Rowbottom or Florent last against some of the big bodied mids in the competition ? Whether Kennedy brings more in the middle or whether he can go forward more depends on how fast the younger guys can develop. The ball's in their court. What's certain is it doesn't serve our purpose to retire him prematurely.

My comments were in response to calls that Kennedy should retire. How do you get this idea that anyone is putting forward the notion you claim to resent ? There's no single player that can determine the fate of any team, short of maybe Dustin Martin in a Grand Final, and I've never claimed Kennedy was indespensible. Of course the younger mids get more possessions when Kennedy's out, they still don't get more than he gets or have anywhere near the impact. The output of Rowbottom you quoted is still less than Parker's or Kennedy's average output.

We were reminded of the need for midfield depth when Hewett's injury meant he had almost no impact in 2020. You selectively quoted stats from the 2 games we won when Kennedy was absent but neglected to mention that in each case it was a dominant performance by Parker that got us over the line. Round 12 was the thrashing of GWS where just about every Swan played well. Yet while Kennedy was absent we also got beaten heaps and were completely smashed by the Saints with only Parker (27 disposals) and Florent (20) having much midfield impact consequently the ball spent an eternity in our backline. With Rowbottom struggling and Hewett missing we could have done with Kennedy. We didn't win many games overall in 2020 but when Kennedy was available the games we won were when he dominated.

Stats aside, go back and have a look at the Round 3 North game last year. North were riding high after smashing GWS the week before with a fierce attack on the contested ball and the ball carrier. As we reeled under the relentless pressure in the first quarter and they jumped to a two goal lead Kennedy (figuratively) took the game by the scruff of its neck. He was like a raging bull at every contest and in the thick of every contest. Both he and Florent had 22 disposals but there the comparison ends. If only there was a stat for how many players Kennedy threw aside, often several at a time, how many times he stopped North players from extracting the ball from a pack or how many opposition players he bumped, shirt-fronted, intimidated, harrassed or left dazed and hurt on the field. He set the tone for the Swans' reply with a statement of "You wanna play rough, I'll show you rough ?" He laid twice the tackles of Parker and Rowbottom combined and three times as many as Florent. Much of his work just doesn't show up on the stats sheet but it inspires our young mids and sets a standard, just as Kirk, Jude and Kels did before him.

So yeah, all those calling for the retirement of Kennedy ought to give it a bit more thought. I firmly believe we should look to the future. I'm a huge fan of guys like Florent, Rowbottom and Blakey and I'm an eternal optimist about our team. It's great that we have some real talent coming into the midfield, and that's exactly what we need for out future, as Kennedy's not getting younger. But while he's around he allows us to maintain the strongest possible midfiled while the younger guys come up to speed. If a young player can have enough impact in the midfield to allow us the luxury of playing Kennedy forward then that's exactly what we need to be doing. We still have to make sure there's enough talent in our engine room to better the opposition.

I agree with you that we've a lot to be optimistic about, I just don't believe we have such a glut of midfield riches that we should push our 2nd best midfielder to pasture just yet. When Hewett and/or Parker is out we can't yet rely on Rowbottom, Florent or Blakey to consistently hold up our midfield, especially if we face a very strong opposition midfield. How long would Rowbottom or Florent last against some of the big bodied mids in the competition ? Whether Kennedy brings more in the middle or whether he can go forward more depends on how fast the younger guys can develop. The ball's in their court. What's certain is it doesn't serve our purpose to retire him prematurely.

Well, I am not in favour of retiring him prematurely. I've been consistent that the best approach for both the kids, and for JPK's own longevity, is to gradually phase him out. Start him on the bench more, let others have a greater taste of the responsibility of being the main man, and give his body more of a reprieve.

The only thing I took umbrage with was your quote, which I bolded above. That "we're in trouble" if JPK does not play on for a few more years. I'm really not sure how you can say that when you see the huge influence Florent had in the win over Adelaide last year; that Blakey had in our near-comeback against Brisbane; or that McInerney had against Melbourne in Cairns. Young Swans are starting to pop up, if not regularly and consistently yet, and have just as much impact and influence on games without needing the prolific stats JPK still produces.

It's especially confusing when you look at what Rowbottom did last year in JPK's absence as a 19 year old. I read today that his player ratings average went from 7.25 with JPK in the team, to 12.5 in JPK's absence. Not only is that the highest of any player in his age group by far - ahead of names like Walsh, Smith and Butters - but it's indicative of how losing a player who, in theory, should help him in his game, actually only made him better. He also had some excellent performances when Parker was well down as well.

So I apologise if you thought I was having a go at you as that was not my intention. I just think it's a little unfair to assume that these kids won't relish the responsibility and thrive once they don't have the great man by their side.

Last edited:
Well, I am not in favour of retiring him prematurely. I've been consistent that the best approach for both the kids, and for JPK's own longevity, is to gradually phase him out. Start him on the bench more, let others have a greater taste of the responsibility of being the main man, and give his body more of a reprieve.

The only thing I took umbrage with was your quote, which I bolded above. That "we're in trouble" if JPK does not play on for a few more years. I'm really not sure how you can say that when you see the huge influence Florent had in the win over Adelaide last year; that Blakey had in our near-comeback against Brisbane; or that McInerney had against Melbourne in Cairns. Young Swans are starting to pop up, if not regularly and consistently yet, and have just as much impact and influence on games without needing the prolific stats JPK still produces.

It's especially confusing when you look at what Rowbottom did last year in JPK's absence as a 19 year old. I read today that his player ratings average went from 7.25 with JPK in the team, to 12.5 in JPK's absence. Not only is that the highest of any player in his age group by far - ahead of names like Walsh, Smith and Butters - but it's indicative of how losing a player who, in theory, should help him in his game, actually only made him better. He also had some excellent performances when Parker was well down as well.

So I apologise if you thought I was having a go at you as that was not my intention. I just think it's a little unfair to assume that these kids won't relish the responsibility and thrive once they don't have the great man by their side.
You took "we're in trouble" as meaning we can't get by without him, when I meant it would weaken an already precarious midfield. It's not like we have a glut of top flight mids. That was the mistake you premised your entire argument on. If Rowbum gets 20 possessions when Kennedy's away and Kennedy would normally get 26, we still haven't gained as a team, no matter how excited we might get by Rowbottom stepping up.

Crikey, by your logic the fact that Fox gets more ball when Rampe's out would mean what ? That we should sideline Rampe ? Any player will get more ball if a better player in the position isn't there. If Lloyd's out and Ling replaces him I can guarantee Ling gets more ball than he would otherwise. Should Lloyd be sidelined too ? Do you see how ridiculous your argument is ?

I completely agree that it's good to see young players getting chances but your continued rhetoric of senior players making way for the young becomes boring. They have to earn it. You talk about Kennedy pushing ROK and Bolton out. He did that when he surpassed them. They didn't just step aside. Ever since you joined this board you've tried to argue that young players should get priority even when they haven't earned it. Being the best player in your age group counts for zip. Rowbottom or Florent need to push out Kennedy and/or Parker by being consistently better than them, else they stay behind. Odds are at some stage they'll get there. After all, they're all working at the same the coal face, they get the same opportunities and Kennedy's not getting any younger. We'd all love to see that, maybe none more than me but to suggest that Kennedy sits on the bench just to boost Rowbottom's stats is ludicrous. Unswanslike. Players need to wrestle the position from the cold dead hands of those who came before them.

With an eye to the future I suggested, if you'd bothered reading, that Kennedy could spend more time forward to give the younger players some more opportunities but sitting on the bench is a waste of a huge talent. Very few players have Kennedy's impact on games, even at his age. We need to get every drop we can out of him while he can play at this level.

You took "we're in trouble" as meaning we can't get by without him, when I meant it would weaken an already precarious midfield. It's not like we have a glut of top flight mids. That was the mistake you premised your entire argument on. If Rowbum gets 20 possessions when Kennedy's away and Kennedy would normally get 26, we still haven't gained as a team, no matter how excited we might get by Rowbottom stepping up.

Crikey, by your logic the fact that Fox gets more ball when Rampe's out would mean what ? That we should sideline Rampe ? Any player will get more ball if a better player in the position isn't there. If Lloyd's out and Ling replaces him I can guarantee Ling gets more ball than he would otherwise. Should Lloyd be sidelined too ? Do you see how ridiculous your argument is ?

I completely agree that it's good to see young players getting chances but your continued rhetoric of senior players making way for the young becomes boring. They have to earn it. You talk about Kennedy pushing ROK and Bolton out. He did that when he surpassed them. They didn't just step aside. Ever since you joined this board you've tried to argue that young players should get priority even when they haven't earned it. Being the best player in your age group counts for zip. Rowbottom or Florent need to push out Kennedy and/or Parker by being consistently better than them, else they stay behind. Odds are at some stage they'll get there. After all, they're all working at the same the coal face, they get the same opportunities and Kennedy's not getting any younger. We'd all love to see that, maybe none more than me but to suggest that Kennedy sits on the bench just to boost Rowbottom's stats is ludicrous. Unswanslike. Players need to wrestle the position from the cold dead hands of those who came before them.

With an eye to the future I suggested, if you'd bothered reading, that Kennedy could spend more time forward to give the younger players some more opportunities but sitting on the bench is a waste of a huge talent. Very few players have Kennedy's impact on games, even at his age. We need to get every drop we can out of him while he can play at this level.

Maybe we just disagree on JPK's impact then.

However I feel you are misinterpreting my quarrell. I am not talking about the present, and have not tried to mount the case that any of those players have overtaken JPK (though I feel they have matched him in ways.)

I am talking strictly about the future, and how you don't seem to be taking into account how these young Swans will mature and develop, and will be fine without JPK.

Last edited:
Just re-watched the Adelaide Rd 1 game. Crikey Kennedy was busy. 6 tackles and 25 possessions in short quarters. He's upped his tackle count over the last couple of years to an average of around 6.5 tackles/game, which suggests no-one's "running past him", as some have suggested. He also brought Florent into the game with young Ollie feeding off the inside work of Parker and Kennedy to get 18 of his own (22.5 in regular quarters).

JPK was tracking for another great season last year before the Rd 6 injury cost him 5 games. Barring serious injury there's nothing to suggest he can't keep doing his stuff for a few more years, even as he brings our young talent up to speed. He can always spend more time forward as he's got a good goal sense.

As each year goes by I'm ever more sure that we got the best ever trade between the Swans and Hawks. I hope his son follows in his footsteps in maybe 13 years time, as part of a dynasty of Kennedys at the Swans.

Imagine Kennedy Jnr lifiting the 2033 premiership cup alongside a retiring Tom McCartin, as we celebrate 100 years after our 1933 cup. I expect all of us would cheer for that, even Bedders, watching from the comfort of his nursing home, an old-fashioned ear trumpet wedged in his ear as his nurse loudly describes the game. "Did we win ?" "We did indeed dear. That young Kennedy snapped truly with just ten seconds to play". Bedders smiles, possibly for the first time in his life, and in so doing passes quietly into the afterlife, or football heaven, where all good Swans and Swans supporters go. A beaming St Kels greets him at the pearly ticket gates "Hello" he exclaims to the old man in the Swans jumper and Beanie, "Another who couldn't handle the excitement. Who are you then ?" "I was the oldest living Swans supporter" "Oh, you can't be Kenny" "No of course I'm not Kenny" snaps Bedders. "Just kidding, Kenny was a bit too eager to hang around the change rooms so he was sent to the other place" "Do you mean Hell ?" "Some call it that, you probably know it as Collingwood" Bedders conjured up an image of Danté's Hell, complete with toothless demons. "Anyway, we were expecting Punts" Bedders leans his ear towards St Kels as he raises his voice slightly "What's that ?" " I said, I expect you're Punts ?" shouts St Kels "You watch that language young man" Bedders looks at him crossly. "Oh, I know, you must be Bedders. Follow me and I'll take you to meet almighty Horse" "You mean Almighty God" Bedders corrects him. "No, I mean Horse almighty. There's only one God almighty and he's over in Cats heaven with his son, Gary Jnr sitting at his right hand side" "His nephew is here if you want to meet him. He very nearly didn't get in after that kick across goal in the 2005 decider but Cazaly insisted" Bedders follows in wonder behind St Kels. leaping from cloud to cloud. The smell of freshly baked pies wafts across the skies and in the distance St Skilton and St Bedford play kick to kick between clouds. They call him to join them.

Damn Horace, that was pretty harsh.

I hope JPK has a mini revival in 2021, and takes it into 2022. His impact has waned over the last 2 seasons, but I'm hoping it was minor niggles that were impacting his output, and I hope he's overcome those niggles.

If it is in fact JPK on a downwards trajectory, then I'll happily watch the twilight of his career without any negative sentiment.

He's been an absolute warrior for us for many years, and showed up every game, no matter how big the occasion.

I think he still has some life in him yet and will be eagerly watching this season, and hopefully next season (at the very least). Im keeping the faith.

Champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn Horace, that was pretty harsh.

I hope JPK has a mini revival in 2021, and takes it into 2022. His impact has waned over the last 2 seasons, but I'm hoping it was minor niggles that were impacting his output, and I hope he's overcome those niggles.

If it is in fact JPK on a downwards trajectory, then I'll happily watch the twilight of his career without any negative sentiment.

He's been an absolute warrior for us for many years, and showed up every game, no matter how big the occasion.

I think he still has some life in him yet and will be eagerly watching this season, and hopefully next season (at the very least). Im keeping the faith.

Champion.
Kennedy's stats were down in 2020 due to shorter quarters but overall in 2019 & 2020 he's kept up his standards and maybe even picked up a notch. IMO the captaincy was a weight on his shoulders and sharing it has helped. Let's not forget that we haven't had much of a ruckman to feed him for the past few years. I hope Hickey can help turn that around.

Watching Rd 1 Adelaide game it's clear how much Kennedy still impacts on a game when he's fit and how much he brings Florent into the game as well. I think he'd have had a boomer season without the rd 6 injury when he dragged a Richmond player down onto his knee. JPK.jpg

Anyone you don't have the hates for ?

You misunderstand my position entirely. I am no hater. What I have suggested is it should be no surprise that JPK gets clearances etc because he can no longer play any where else than cc's and stoppages. He plays a very large % of his TOG there compared to others. I would love to see numbers personal clearances as a percentage of clearances/stoppages attended.

He is an incredibly brave champion of our Club but IMO like a boxer he has taken one or two bouts too many. In his case it is two too many seasons.

Our game plan has moved beyond his attributes. I for one do not want him to get the ball when it is in transition our way. After so many years he has an aversion to using the corridor.

All I really want to see is his rotations lessened so that we can actually prolong his career and spend more time watching the great man, and give others the opportunity while he's still actually around to support them.
If only there wasn't some stupid IC cap for no valid reason

If only there wasn't some stupid IC cap for no valid reason
What do you mean no reason? it makes players more tired, which obviously makes the game better.

Not like skills are negatively affect from fatigue, that would be stupid.

Not like coaches pick athletes over players, that would be dumb.

Yet another instance of this absolute legend stepping up when the game was on the line. There are too many to count at this point.

One of the all time great Swans and a future hall of fame certainty. :heart:

One of the all time great Swans and a future hall of fame certainty. :heart:

In my opinion, the best inside mid I've seen play for us in the (almost) 30 years of watching. He was an absolute beast from 2012 to 2018.

Be a sad day when he hangs up his boots

underrated imo (not by swans fans)

saw a which Josh Kennedy has had the best career article the other day, umm look the eagles guy is good but its not even close imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back