Past Josh P. Kennedy - King Kennedy, the contested possession king

20GWSSy19MKP204973244.jpg

Josh P Kennedy

Josh Kennedy led the Sydney Swans to back-to-back finals campaigns as the club’s sole skipper in 2017 and 2018, and has since led the team as a co-captain alongside Luke Parker and Dane Rampe. The top-class midfielder has compiled a glowing list of individual achievements since leaving Hawthorn for Sydney ahead of season 2010, collecting a 2012 premiership medal, three All Australian blazers and three Club Champion awards. Kennedy is instrumental to the Swans’ host of young midfielders learning their craft at the top level, including Oliver Florent, James Bell, James Rowbottom and Dylan Stephens. Draft history: 2006 AFL Draft 3rd round father-son selection (Hawthorn) No. 40 overall; 2009 AFL Draft traded by Hawthorn for No. 39 (Sam Grimley). Previous AFL club: (Hawthorn 2008-09: 13 games, 1 goal).

Josh Kennedy
DOB: 20 June 1988
DEBUT: 2008
DRAFT: #40, 2006 Father Son
RECRUITED FROM: East Sandr (Vic)/Xavier Coll (Vic)/Sandr U18/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Goosebumps watching the above video

However it still annoys the sh*t out of me how often associated JPK is with Hawthorn. The amount of times commentators have said things like "what a career he's had at the Hawks and Swans"... like no he didn't? He was at Hawthorn for two years and played 13 games. They don't deserve a drop of credit for his career. He's ours, **** Hawthorn.
Never once heard that , all i've heard is that he came from Hawthorn

I thought he was great and a brilliant acquisition the first time I saw him, in a pre season game back in 2010. A couple of months later I was fortunate enough to be seated beside him at a club function and he was just so nice - then and there he became my favourite player and I just can't imagine another player taking his place in my heart :heartbeat:

Can anyone explain to me why the Club signed off on the one year extension in the middle of the season?

What was the urgency?
Wanted to get it signed off just in time for the bye so the entire Swans fan base can dedicate a week to celebrating the continuation of a brilliant career.

Can anyone explain to me why the Club signed off on the one year extension in the middle of the season?

What was the urgency?

Because he's still in our best 22 comfortably but very possibly won't be beyond 2022.

Plus, y'know, he's captain, which is sorta an important role...

We need to re-think how we use him and Parker together.

What was the urgency?

so you know cap space/list planning forward and avoid speculation

also they do love a contract signing

so you know cap space/list planning forward and avoid speculation

also they do love a contract signing

No other Club would want JPK now. He is hardly a priority signing.

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
No other Club would want JPK now. He is hardly a priority signing.

To me, after what JPK has done for the club during his time here, I would have given him an extension as well. I don't care that he's slowing down, and not as impactful as he once was, he was an absolute warrior and showed up every match no matter how big the occasion.

Other than that, his experience is invaluable, and im sure his standard at training and around the club would still be worth the contract extension even if he finished 2022 playing in the reserves.

True champion.

Probably just came to an agreement quickly and easily. No one was doing gamesmanship etc.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hope that was the case. I also hope the contract was minimum chips, augmented with a coaching role in the 2s.

Everyone loves him, me included. I think he and the Club have decided to help him get to 300. I really hope I am wrong. The Murphy 300 exercise at the Filth is corrosive to Club performance and morale.
Just moving this over here to not derail the other thread

I think Kennedy will see this year out as one of the main mids but hopefully with an extra pre-season into Rowbottom, Warner and a lesser extent Mills (I see those 3 as being our future main 3 mids) Kennedy will be eventually pushed out next year. Even if he hits 300 games or not but I think the club wanted him just incase we get more injuries and to still help with off-field stuff as well.

I don't think Kennedy will play 12 games next season but will see this one out

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I doubt they’ll be too sentimental about it if he can’t perform. I haven’t forgotten o’keefe and richards ended their careers.

But right now, he’s still peforming, if not to his previous level

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Think he is on 272 at the moment. Probably on 280 or thereabouts at seasons' end, injury permitting. I reckon it could be a thing.
I don't think there is ANYONE coming through who is close to him at the moment so until someone like a Stevens, Blakey, Campbell, Warner, 2021 draftee A, B or C can stand beside him honestly & win a one on one against the most hardened midfielders in the competition, then he can keep on playing for all I care because what I saw against the Hawks when the guy had come off 2 six day breaks along with Parker, NO ONE stood up to help out.

JPK will keep playing until the next person along with Warner can show some bull like qualities. Haven't seen anyone come close!

I don't think there is ANYONE coming through who is close to him at the moment so until someone like a Stevens, Blakey, Campbell, Warner, 2021 draftee A, B or C can stand beside him honestly & win a one on one against the most hardened midfielders in the competition, then he can keep on playing for all I care because what I saw against the Hawks when the guy had come off 2 six day breaks along with Parker, NO ONE stood up to help out.

JPK will keep playing until the next person along with Warner can show some bull like qualities. Haven't seen anyone come close!

Titch says hi there Tedeski.

Back