Past Josh P. Kennedy - King Kennedy, the contested possession king

Remove this Banner Ad

20GWSSy19MKP204973244.jpg

Josh P Kennedy

Josh Kennedy led the Sydney Swans to back-to-back finals campaigns as the club’s sole skipper in 2017 and 2018, and has since led the team as a co-captain alongside Luke Parker and Dane Rampe. The top-class midfielder has compiled a glowing list of individual achievements since leaving Hawthorn for Sydney ahead of season 2010, collecting a 2012 premiership medal, three All Australian blazers and three Club Champion awards. Kennedy is instrumental to the Swans’ host of young midfielders learning their craft at the top level, including Oliver Florent, James Bell, James Rowbottom and Dylan Stephens. Draft history: 2006 AFL Draft 3rd round father-son selection (Hawthorn) No. 40 overall; 2009 AFL Draft traded by Hawthorn for No. 39 (Sam Grimley). Previous AFL club: (Hawthorn 2008-09: 13 games, 1 goal).

Josh Kennedy
DOB: 20 June 1988
DEBUT: 2008
DRAFT: #40, 2006 Father Son
RECRUITED FROM: East Sandr (Vic)/Xavier Coll (Vic)/Sandr U18/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
Meanwhile it seems Geelong are looking at JPK.

This is to bolster the numbers of players close to being experienced on their list.

The young and sprightly JPK has been targeted. The Cats consider he has untapped potential for frees. As part of the deal Selwood is understood to have reached out and offered to mentor the youngster.

In the same way our grand-parents recall President Kennedy's assassination, Swans fans will remember where they were when they first read this thread.

It'd make so much more sense if Grassy Knoll was still on the list and we had someone to blame.
Blame me old mate , thanks for your thoughts . Will take the advice on board .

Tom Mitchell, Barry Mitchell, Greg Williamsetc, etc.
Those types that are great club men.
I reckon Rampe probably could have made more if he'd pushed for it. Seemed to get done very quickly and with little fuss, and always seemed to me that he has priorities beyond cash in his pocket.

I reckon Rampe probably could have made more if he'd pushed for it. Seemed to get done very quickly and with little fuss, and always seemed to me that he has priorities beyond cash in his pocket.
when he was interviewed about his contract, he jokingly said.. 'the Swans got a good deal, but I don't care. They knew I wasn't going anywhere.' 'love the Swans'
Been a bit disappointed with BF posters this year and their dropping off the title Sir when talking about Rampe.
will always be Sir Dane for me.

when he was interviewed about his contract, he jokingly said.. 'the Swans got a good deal, but I don't care. They knew I wasn't going anywhere.' 'love the Swans'
Been a bit disappointed with BF posters this year and their dropping off the title Sir when talking about Rampe.
will always be Sir Dane for me.

Says a lot about that guy's character. Absolute legend on and off the field.

Just saw this quote from Sam Edmond:

"After numerous stories of Sam Reids various misdemeanours coming to light on a sydney swans forum, Reid has decided the best course of action is to retire effective immediately and turn himself in to the police."

The police have since stated, that although quite annoying, nothing Sam has done is worthy of any further action.
I don't know about you guys, but I just love these false stories that our posters make up about Sam Reid. They honestly bring tears of joy to my eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy averages 29.7 disposals and 2 goals in grand finals. Just popped in to mention that.

The very definition of a big-game player. Made even more remarkable when you consider he already performed at a ridiculously consistent and elite level every week of his career, but somehow found another level entirely on the biggest stage. And did it all with such minimal fuss. Just a very cool head, and you know what they say about cooler heads...

He seriously just performs, amazing player, absolute legend, will be a sad say when he finally hangs up the boots.

Did not finish in top 10 of the BnF. I have felt it was a sad say when I called for him to move on. But ya gotta call it as you see it.

Did not finish in top 10 of the BnF. I have felt it was a sad say when I called for him to move on. But ya gotta call it as you see it.
McCartin, Cunningham and Hewett didn't finish in the top 10 either, they all had a significant role in our performance this year. So did JPK, he showed he still had the ability to carry us at times. I'll be as disappointed as anyone if he takes a lion's share of midfield time in 2022 and doesn't perform to that level, but I don't think either is going to be the case. He'll be managed more, others will get extra responsibilities, but he'll still be very important for us in some games.

Until he isn't, he's best 22.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on Kennedy.

Has he slowed down a little over the last couple of seasons, yes, sure, he's in the twilight of his career. But rather than being a passenger, I think he's actually playing a specific role for the team, once again proving that he's the ultimate clubman.

2021 saw the emergence of mills in the midfield. But imo, mills' move into the midfield wouldn't have been as smooth, nor successful without Kennedy in the midfield.

I am suggesting, that Kennedy, as an elder statesman of the club, has sacrificed his own game, and has adjusted his game for the betterment of the team.

Contested posessions - When mills was out with injury in rounds 18 & 19, who stepped up to fill the void? Kennedy

Also when hickey, was out, who rolled up his sleeves and lifted his output? Kennedy

Screenshot_20211026-155430_Chrome.jpg

Uncontested posessions - you go from contested to uncontested, and joey goes from 2nd, to 7th. Callum mills remains at 4th and gets an even spread of inside/ outside ball. Kennedy does his work at the coalface so mills can come in and use his attributes to help get the ball moving, but joeys in there winning the hard ball and making the opposition earn every disposal.

Screenshot_20211026-155407_Chrome.jpg

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on Kennedy.

Has he slowed down a little over the last couple of seasons, yes, sure, he's in the twilight of his career. But rather than being a passenger, I think he's actually playing a specific role for the team, once again proving that he's the ultimate clubman.

2021 saw the emergence of mills in the midfield. But imo, mills' move into the midfield wouldn't have been as smooth, nor successful without Kennedy in the midfield.

I am suggesting, that Kennedy, as an elder statesman of the club, has sacrificed his own game, and has adjusted his game for the betterment of the team.

Contested posessions - When mills was out with injury in rounds 18 & 19, who stepped up to fill the void? Kennedy

Also when hickey, was out, who rolled up his sleeves and lifted his output? Kennedy

View attachment 1267446

Uncontested posessions - you go from contested to uncontested, and joey goes from 2nd, to 7th. Callum mills remains at 4th and gets an even spread of inside/ outside ball. Kennedy does his work at the coalface so mills can come in and use his attributes to help get the ball moving, but joeys in there winning the hard ball and making the opposition earn every disposal.

View attachment 1267452
Kennedy was fine this year, still our 2nd highest clearance winner and had great output. Has been a champion for a long time, love it and I'm glad he's still around in 2022

Kennedy was fine this year, still our 2nd highest clearance winner and had great output. Has been a champion for a long time, love it and I'm glad he's still around in 2022

100% Agree. His output is still worthy of a place in our senior side and has earnt to his contract to go around in 2022. GoTheSwannies stats that show how important he still is

Has certainly aged more gracefully and is more impactful than a few of the other champions that, if we're honest, probably stuck around a bit too long at the end.
Obviously you can't begrudge them for doing so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back