Past Josh P. Kennedy - King Kennedy, the contested possession king

Remove this Banner Ad

20GWSSy19MKP204973244.jpg

Josh P Kennedy

Josh Kennedy led the Sydney Swans to back-to-back finals campaigns as the club’s sole skipper in 2017 and 2018, and has since led the team as a co-captain alongside Luke Parker and Dane Rampe. The top-class midfielder has compiled a glowing list of individual achievements since leaving Hawthorn for Sydney ahead of season 2010, collecting a 2012 premiership medal, three All Australian blazers and three Club Champion awards. Kennedy is instrumental to the Swans’ host of young midfielders learning their craft at the top level, including Oliver Florent, James Bell, James Rowbottom and Dylan Stephens. Draft history: 2006 AFL Draft 3rd round father-son selection (Hawthorn) No. 40 overall; 2009 AFL Draft traded by Hawthorn for No. 39 (Sam Grimley). Previous AFL club: (Hawthorn 2008-09: 13 games, 1 goal).

Josh Kennedy
DOB: 20 June 1988
DEBUT: 2008
DRAFT: #40, 2006 Father Son
RECRUITED FROM: East Sandr (Vic)/Xavier Coll (Vic)/Sandr U18/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to laugh at all the footy media saying how underrated JPK has been because he's been "up in Sydney" (they love that phrase, like the Swans are based in the Nordic highlands or something).

Funny how they use a player being Sydney-based as the reason for their constant overlooking of our players. It's not like it's their job to cover all eighteen teams or anything...

You have to laugh at all the footy media saying how underrated JPK has been because he's been "up in Sydney" (they love that phrase, like the Swans are based in the Nordic highlands or something).

Funny how they use a player being Sydney-based as the reason for their constant overlooking of our players. It's not like it's their job to cover all eighteen teams or anything...

that last point has always given me the sh1ts about various members of the footy media
you hear them mention how they "haven't seen many sydney (or other teams') games" ... you wonder what the fck they do with their time considering it's their friggin (well paid!) job to watch football!!!

If only there was a way they could watch games regardless of which ground they're played on!

"Up in Sydney" and we aren't even the Northern most side

that last point has always given me the sh1ts about various members of the footy media
you hear them mention how they "haven't seen many sydney (or other teams') games" ... you wonder what the fck they do with their time considering it's their friggin (well paid!) job to watch football!!!
That's why I love The Mongrel Punt. It's obvious they've watched the games and players and that's what they stick to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The greatest contested ball winner and one of the greatest inside mids to have ever played the game. A true legend and a true leader who will be sorely missed. Few if any players have been more universally respected by teammates, coaches and peers at other clubs. I can't think of anyone who has had more influence on our current crop of Swans, including on the coach himself. After so much individual greatness, the humilty and affection he holds for his clubmates says volumes about him.

Joey Kennedy came to this club wanting nothing more than a chance to play regular footy. In return, he has been the very heart and soul of this club for a decade, leading us to greatness on the field, through dark times, and through a glorious rebuild, before stepping aside and passing on the mantle. He has inspired and influenced a whole new generation of Swans, who will remain forever grateful they could call him a teammate.

Anyone who managed to watch his announcement to his teammates with dry eyes must have a heart of stone. Me, I wept like a baby.

As someone has already said, and it might be naive, but I hope he gets back and is able to be a medi sub.

If, and it's a big IF, we make it to the grandfinal that's 6 weeks, could get a medal that he deserved in 2016.
I don't believe the Norm Smith has ever been won by a sub, but I wouldn't put it past him

I will freely admit that I'm overdosing on copium at the moment.

Legend of the club deserves some sort of send-off, and I don't want to contemplate his last game being what it was....
His final act in footy being a rubbish suspension makes me want to hurl.

His final act in footy being a rubbish suspension makes me want to hurl.
Sad yes, but not many players get to depart on a high on their terms. Jason Ball did at the end of 2005, a true fairytale, walking away as a freshly minted premiership player. By contrast, Ryan O'Keefe went from a dual premiership player and 2012 Norm Smith medallist to surplus to requirements within a single season. ROK was as fit as ever but there was not so much as a final game for the 280 game club champion.

Macca and Kizza at least had the honour of a home game in front of adoring fans where they both kicked a goal, but poor Smithy had a final season to forget unable to get his body right. Many champions continue to play at a competitive level long after lesser players would have faded through the twos, but for them it's generally their body that quits long before their spirit does.

Kennedy will finish up knowing that he gave every ounce of effort to this club, to getting his body right in the hope that he could play a role in some way. Look at him, even after announcing his career is over he's still working his butt off to get his body right, in the slimmest of hopes that he may get himself right and get a call up on the big day.

I'll bet Joey's not worrying about the nature of his last game. He'll have reflected on it, taken anything he could learn from the experience and moved on. He knows that his efforts are unlikely to be rewarded, but he also knows the difference between a one in a million chance and giving up is infinite. He's fighting just to give himself the smallest chance of grabbing an opportunity if it comes. Talk about setting the tone for the younger guys, how much more inspiring could he be? I expect his lasting memory of his career will be that he never gave up.

Last edited:
Always thought the last couple plays of 2012 epitomise how much of a bull JPK was, and how much he did that wasn't reflected in the stat sheet.

(1) After Jetta's shot doesn't carry, Luke Parker fumbles, but Kennedy positions well, vice grips the ball and causes the stoppage, preventing a rebound. There were about 5 Hawks players right there to pounce on it if he fumbles, but he doesn't.

(2) Ball up, holds Sewell (Hawthorn's BOG) off the ball with his right arm and grabs the ball with his left. It slips out and Shane Savage picks up the loose ball. Right before he gets a chance to launch it out of D50 and give the Hawks a shot at a last minute attach, JPK (as he's being held) dives forward and rips Savage's right arm away, the ball goes loose, Hanners picks it up and the rest is history.

Nothing on the stat sheet but so clutch.

vid for reference:

Always thought the last couple plays of 2012 epitomise how much of a bull JPK was, and how much he did that wasn't reflected in the stat sheet.

(1) After Jetta's shot doesn't carry, Luke Parker fumbles, but Kennedy positions well, vice grips the ball and causes the stoppage, preventing a rebound. There were about 5 Hawks players right there to pounce on it if he fumbles, but he doesn't.

(2) Ball up, holds Sewell (Hawthorn's BOG) off the ball with his right arm and grabs the ball with his left. It slips out and Shane Savage picks up the loose ball. Right before he gets a chance to launch it out of D50 and give the Hawks a shot at a last minute attach, JPK (as he's being held) dives forward and rips Savage's right arm away, the ball goes loose, Hanners picks it up and the rest is history.

Nothing on the stat sheet but so clutch.

vid for reference:

Even knowing how it ends I could barely watch that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back