Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Just went through every one of his 67 kicks in the last 4 games of the year and my conclusion is that he has no issues with his kicking - in fact it was actually very good, particularly delivering inside 50m when he had some time.

I agree/d with the knocks around his kicking over the last 2 seasons as a whole, but what I can say with confidence is that he finished the season very well from a kicking point of view.

I'm not sure whether it was a confidence or injury issue, but those last 4 games were solid to say the least.

Just went through every one of his 67 kicks in the last 4 games of the year and my conclusion is that he has no issues with his kicking - in fact it was actually very good, particularly delivering inside 50m when he had some time.

I agree/d with the knocks around his kicking over the last 2 seasons as a whole, but what I can say with confidence is that he finished the season very well from a kicking point of view.

I'm not sure whether it was a confidence or injury issue, but those last 4 games were solid to say the least.
I think when he's the no.1 inside midfielder as he was for most of the first half he was left to dry. He doesn't have the physical capabilities to consistently have a good impact on every contest unlike the LDUs and Cunningtons of our team.

Captain is looking great.

Re his kicking

Like any footballer it’s the momentum killers that are remembered foremost when there’s that opportunity to move forward on the spread for example.

I suspect that Jy is the victim of this; makes position well and then on occasion has ruined the next movement with a kick that is a poor one.

I think as a whole that is symbolic of our whole team. In a game where perfection has to happen on every disposal, we miss the target by a few centimetres and get murdered on the turn over.

Look at Geelong in the first quarter of last years GF. Everything was perfect or designed to be perfect (players able to run and collect in space)

Correct this and we are on our way.

sheesh with factual based posting like that i sure hope you stay out of the covid thread!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kicking only seemed to drop after he did the ankle in 2020. Agree it seemed back to its best by the end of last year.

To continue the non Jy off topic chat and expand on Schwatta’s talents……

For the first half of the 90’s I lived with a couple of my mates who were NBL players. One midweek night we met up with a few other b’ballers at the old Sports Bar in Fitzroy. If you remember that place (firstly, see you in the Grumpy Old’s thread) you may recall they had a basketball ring and net plus a key setup. Anyhoo, that night Schwatta sauntered in with a couple of his mates and, after shooting the breeze re North and South East Melbourne Magic, Schwatta challenged a couple of the b’ballers to a free throw comp. “Best of 50 shots” he suggested. The two who took him on were outstanding free throw shooters (although a few bourbon and cokes may have levelled the playing field a tad).

First b’baller hits 48/50. Second b’baller hits 44/50. Schwatta steps up and, with the small crowd roaring after each bucket, hits 48/50 to tie the bloody thing.

Instant respect all round and on the way home later the b’ballers couldn’t have been more impressed with Schwatta’s natural sporting talent and ability to perform under pressure.

A couple of us there were already North nuts but that night Schwatta gained us another dozen or so who loved following his every move throughout the 90’s domination.

The bloke was a bloody gun!
My all time favorite player.

Gold, Cunners, LDU, Jy as our starting centre square rotation. Cunners in at Goldy's feet looking for the clearance, LDU on the offensive side ready to burst away for the handball receive and Jy on the defensive side to clamp down on the opposition and/or get the ball out the back and wheel off into space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back