Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Only a couple of votes in the Brownlow. Bullshit return considering how good he was this year
Yeah, I couldn't believe it. I was convinced he was going to be our top vote-getter, but what was he in the end, 5th? Madness. Easily our best player this year. Also, he polled some votes last year, so I thought he would just follow on from that. The Hawthorn game in particular was ridiculous. He was BOG by an absolute mile.

I get it. He must've been the 4th best on field in more games than I dare to count and 3rd best in 1 game.
Ultimately meaning that Devon Smith (1x 3vote game) had a better and fairer season!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its become the norm for nim now, even keith greig in the later years for how brilliant he was didnt get any where as much fanfare as earlier on in his career before he established himself as a champ.

Keith won Brownlows in 73 & 74 in his first 80 odd games similar amount to Simpkin now.

Additionally l think Keith played for the Vics after only 9 or so games on the wing for North.

So l would think Keith had his early fanfare....probably more so than any other North player ever.

Last edited:
Yeah, I couldn't believe it. I was convinced he was going to be our top vote-getter, but what was he in the end, 5th? Madness. Easily our best player this year. Also, he polled some votes last year, so I thought he would just follow on from that. The Hawthorn game in particular was ridiculous. He was BOG by an absolute mile.
Personally, I thought it was a toss up between Simpkin and Cunnington for BoG against Hawthorn.

Cunnington - 37 possessions, 27 contested, 13 clearances, 5 Inside 50's.
Simpkin - 38 possessions, 23 contested, 14 clearances, 5 inside 50's, 9 tackles.

But one vote for the entire season is absolute crap, he should win the Syd in a canter.

It should really be voted by the coaches or former coaches at the very least.
Umpires don’t have a feel for the game.
There is already an award for that, it's called the coaches award. Brownlow is what it is, the eye-catching players will always attract the most votes. Funnily enough, the top 3 in both awards are the exact same just in different order.

Keith won Brownlows in 73 & 74 in his first 80 odd games similar amount to Simpkin now.

Additionally l think Keith played for the Vics after only 9 or so games on the wing for North.

So l would think Keith had his early fanfare....probably more so than any other North player ever.
Kekovich had the most fanfare of anyone. He had played for Myrtleford a couple of weeks prior and in his first game for North he was named in the Centre to play against Denis Marshall who was a champion at the time. Greig and Schimmelbusch both established themselves very quickly and went onto far better (with less publicity) than Kekovich. Good to see that Sam carved out a career post footy though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back